PDA

View Full Version : Stick-on weight ingots - no blue color?

Navy_Guns
08-04-2009, 10:20 AM
I just did a batch of 35 pounds of stick-on weights, which I understood to be nearly pure lead. In the past when I've done pure lead, I've always gotten a blue hue to the ingots. This time, they came out plain bright silver. The only difference was I was smelting on a small burner that had a hard time keeping the melt liquid. Could the low temperature of my smelt operation have kept them from getting the typical blue oxidation color?

08-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Hmmm... My stick-on ingots are shiney silvery colored.

snaggdit
08-04-2009, 11:34 AM
I will get a blue color on the top of my melt of stick ons when it gets good and hot but have never had ingots from this form a color. My pure ingots have always been shiny, especially compared to WW ingots, which are slightly frosted looking but still silver.

runfiverun
08-04-2009, 04:23 PM
with all the shops sending back all their used ww's .you don't think the mans are recycling them into ww's do you?

leadman
08-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Must be the zinc you missed LOL.
With what I have seen in the lead bins at the scrap yards I don't doubt that we will be getting a lead/zinc mixture eventually if not already.
Zinc, iron, pure lead cane form windows, huge chunks of lead of various hardness, spark plugs, junk, etc, all in the same bin. Who sorts this before melting?

Navy_Guns
08-11-2009, 02:24 PM
I can indent the ingots with my finger nail, so they're pretty soft.

And yes, silly as it is, I still try to sort my wheel weights because I'm finding more and more zinc ones. Some are sneaky and don't even have the "Zn" symbol on them. I did have one get in the pot recently but it floated and got skimmed off.

jameslovesjammie
08-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Here's a post with a good pic of different colored pure lead ingots. All are pure lead and there are no impurities.

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=20397

mooman76
08-11-2009, 08:00 PM
They don't always use the same standard for their WWs. If you think they are pretty soft, they probably are and have a little tin in for fill out.

shotman
08-12-2009, 01:00 AM
You may have some that are pure tin. Like lead free soilder. Found that the ones that are about 1/2 in wide with no cuts are tin. Also the low heat will keep the blue away

Navy_Guns
08-13-2009, 10:44 AM
You know, I did have some stick-ons that were about half an inch wide that were a brighter silver color and stiffer than the ones that were obviously pure lead... Tin, huh? So if that's the case, it should improve the fill out from this batch but not really make it much harder, right?