PDA

View Full Version : Powder Measure suggestions

dk17hmr
08-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Looking for something that will work equally as good with ball powder as it will with stick powder. Something that will throw good charges for handguns so I dont need to weigh each 4.0gr charge.

Had one of those cheap Lee Perfect measures and hate it, it leaks H110 out the side and doesnt throw consistant charges.

My dad has an RCBS what we have used for 10 years or so now and I like that but looking for more opinions.

Lyman #55?
Hornady?
RCBS?

Looking to spent a max of about $65 on one.

carpetman
08-04-2009, 01:16 AM
Belding&Mull---consistently throws any type powder.

MtGun44
08-04-2009, 01:37 AM
I have been pretty happy with the RCBS, esp with the micrometer addon,
I can record a particular charge's setting and go right back to it.

Bill

357maximum
08-04-2009, 02:03 AM
The rcbs has always done what I need it to do. When I get picky about throwing charges I put a small funnel on the top of it so that the resevoir is in a state of consistent "head" pressure. Works for me with flake/ball/ and sc stick powder.

Mtman314
08-04-2009, 02:12 AM
Powder has always hung up in my rcbs. So I just get it set close and then drop it into a glass triple shot container and weigh out each charge as I reload. Keeps me on my toes so I don't err. I have even dropped a large washer on the top in the reservoir, no change. It works for me so I don't worry about it. Though I reload single stage so it's no biggy. I just figure it keeps me accurate.

stubshaft
08-04-2009, 02:53 AM
I have RCBS (1) Lyman (2) B&M (1) and Redding (1). I use my Redding most of all. Easily repeatable and accurate.

Lloyd Smale
08-04-2009, 06:28 AM
ive got 2 rcbs measures and a few of the newer hornadys and the hornadys do a better job of metering then the rcbs ones do and there better then the dillons too. there pretty slick too in that you can snap the adjustment set up in and out of the press and it allows you to buy extra ones and keep them set in specific charges. I made a stand for them out of a block of 2x4 drilled with holes to hold them and bought 14 extra ones to keep set in specific charges so when i switch calibler or loads i just snap the right one in and go. I like them so much that i bought another measure just for a bench measure. It is cool too in that i bought a lock and load conversion bushing for a press and made a powder stand that i could put the insert in so when i want to take my measure off the stand to go to another bench just a quarter turn and it pops off. I like this setup so much that im going to make stands for my rcbs meausres too.

winelover
08-04-2009, 07:52 AM
[QUOTE=MtGun44;628873]I have been pretty happy with the RCBS, esp with the micrometer addon,
I can record a particular charge's setting and go right back to it.

DITTO, for me too. However, I don't use it much since I got the RCBS Chargemaster Combo. It's the Cat's Meow! [smilie=1:

Winelover

1hole
08-04-2009, 08:26 AM
"Looking for something that will work equally as good with ball powder as it will with stick powder. Something that will throw good charges for handguns so I dont need to weigh each 4.0gr charge."

You ain't gonna find it in this world.

The "cheap Lee Perfect" is as good as it gets .... for tubular powders! It works for ball too, usually, IF the user has it adjusted correctly.

Trickling precision charges for handgun ammo seems a futile excercise to me.

jhrosier
08-04-2009, 08:39 AM
I have been using the Lyman #55 measure for forty years or so.
I get very good results with any type of powder.
I like the #55 because you can change both the size and shape of the cavity, using the three slides, to whatever works best for the type of powder and charge weight.

I also have a Belding&Mull that is very fast to set up but slower to use.
It gets used for short runs of rifle ammo and BP.
I don't like to measure BP in my Lyman as it is hard to get the dust out and I've seen at least one that was ruined by corrosion from BP.
The B&M is about the last word in accuracy.

If I am loading just a single box of ammo to test loads, I use the Lee dippers with my Lyman 1010 scale.

Jack

Junior1942
08-04-2009, 08:48 AM
I have a Lee, an RCBS, and a Lyman #55. If they all three broke beyond repair, the Lyman is the only one I would replace.

cheese1566
08-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Any of the "Big Three" (RCBS, Hornady, or Redding). I have been using a Hornady measure for 15 years now. It came with both the rifle and pistol micometer inserts standard at that time (now I think they call it the Bench Rest Model but for a lot more $$$$). Works great for my 4.5 gr loads for 9mm on my progressive.

If your doing 4 gr charges, make sure to get the pistol insert to go with it. Although my RCBS Uniflow with regular insert is dropping 5.5 grains of 231 consistently.

But for $65, you will have to go used.

BD
08-04-2009, 09:24 AM
The only measure I've found that will throw stick powders, or the surplus #7 "hockey pucks", accurately enough to drop the charge right in the case is the Belding and Mull. Both my RCBS and Hornady measures will handle flake and ball pretty well.
BD

45nut
08-04-2009, 09:38 AM
I would go the Lyman 55 road,,again,, many times.

Char-Gar
08-04-2009, 11:12 AM
I have been using the same Hollywood measure since 1960. I have throw 2/Bulleye and 90/4350 with good result all the way. Two years back I picked up another on Ebay to have as a spare if and when the other rolls snake eyes. The first is just as good as it was 49 years ago, so the spare will probably remained unused.

If I needed a measure I would hunt down a good Hollywood.

dk17hmr
08-04-2009, 11:47 AM
I just need close with stick powder, I weigh and trickly every charge going into my highpower rifles. Unless I am making hunting loads I dont weigh every handgun charge. Looks like anything from Hornady, RCBS, Lyman, or Redding and I should be alright. Ill see what I can find.

Dale53
08-04-2009, 11:50 AM
I have a collection of powder measures. i have tried most of them and, in fact, have owned most over the years. I have shot competitively with everything from NRA Bullseye, Big Bore Rifle, Bench Rifle, and Schuetzen Rifle. The most elegant measures are the ones by Harrell, but they are very expensive. The most cost effective and usable over a wide range of powder types is the Redding Micrometer (pick the Redding that matches your needs). I have not been a fan of the Belding & Mull (it works very well but is SO slow it drives me crazy).

I also learned a long time ago that certain powders are VERY difficult to measure (IMR 4831 and Dupont 4759 for two examples) while others are EASY to measure well (most of the ball powders). I suggest you pick a powder for your particular needs that measures well (now, that was easy, no?[smilie=1:)

I have two Progressive Presses (Dillon 550B's) and they get either Dillon measures or the Lee Pro Disk measure and both work with satisfaction as I use powders that measure well from them.

So, for general use I prefer one of the Redding micrometer measures. I do admit that I use Lyman for black powder (plus a VERY fine custom measure made for me by a REALLY good friend). My Progressives I use as stated above.

FWIW
Dale53

Heavy lead
08-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Hornady LNL with both rotors, the rotor that comes with it does a fine job until you get to the little charges, then go with that small rotor, wasn't a believer that I needed it until I got my last LNL AP and it was included, wow, a great addition. I also like the fact it has the quick change feature so you can hav

GOPHER SLAYER
08-04-2009, 09:54 PM
I am not sure how many powder mearsures I have but it is at least ten. I do not like to change settings so I set the measure with one powder, stick a peice of masking tape on it,write the powder and weight and leave it. I have five Reddings so I leave the shelf mount in place for them and then I can simply remove the locking ring and replace one measure with another. I have one Redding that has a dial setting on it like a safe. It is the only one I have seen. I have all the measures mentioned with the exception of the Hornady. I also have a Hollywood that is a nice peice of gear. In my experiance they all work well with ball powder but not as well with stick. One stick powder I am fond of is 4759 and it is terrible in any measure except the B&M. As mentioned it is slower to use. I also have a #55 Lyman but rarely use it because it requires more fiddleing and as I said before I do not like to fiddle. I should point out that none of the mearsures are anymore accurate than the first one I bought. I ordered it from Herters in 1959 and it still does as good a job as any. I read an article years ago in Preciscion Shooting in which the author tested several mearsures, ranging from the cheapest to the most costly and he found no difference in accuracy no matter the cost.. Almost cruel isn't it.

GSSP
08-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Sorry, I can't help. My Harrell's Premium is out of your price range and for pistol and some smaller stick powders I use my Dillon in conjunction with my 550B for everything else.

Alan

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-04-2009, 11:31 PM
I have owned the following powder measures:

RCBS Uniflow
Dillon standard 550 measure
Redding BR30
Hornady LnL
Lee Pro Auto Disk
Lee Perfect Powder measure

Of these, the Hornady, RCBS and Lee Pro Auto disk are still on my bench. Of these three, if I was going to stay with one powder measure, there's no doubt - for all around capacity (size of powder cannister), versatility (ball and stick powders) and accuracy (with any powders) - the Hornady LnL. With it and it's rotors/micrometers, you don't need anything else, everything else is just convenience and not even much of that is gained, assuming you record your micrometer settings for each load, it's easy to dial it right back in.

Regards,

Dave

Dale53
08-05-2009, 12:05 AM
One thing that we all have neglected to mention - the accuracy of ANY powder measure is based on the consistency of operation. Just get a powder scale, set it alongside your powder measure and practice. Generally, with serious practice you CAN improve the operation of most powder measures.

Dale53

TonyT
08-05-2009, 09:11 PM
I have used the Lyman, RCBS and older Hollywood powder measures. For the light 4 gr. loads I would prefer the Lyman.

Marlin Hunter
08-06-2009, 02:19 AM
The Hornady has a nice drain spout feature. It makes it easy to empty the hopper. The micrometer adjustment scale on mine is (was, it came off) a piece of tape with numbers on it instead of having the numbers engraved into the steel tube.

I also have a old RCBS and have to check every 5 to 10 rounds to make sure the weight has not changed. The more you check, the less you have to dump and start over.

Regardless of which power measure you get, It takes about 20 throws to settle out. Powder height changes the weight on the powder and eventually alters the amount of each throw. Some hoppers have baffles to remedy this situation.

Urny
08-06-2009, 10:25 PM
I currently own Lyman, Redding, B&M, Johnson Design Specialties, and RCBS. Have had Lee (various), Bonanza, Dillon, and Herter's. Limited to one I would choose the Lyman.

NoDakJak
08-07-2009, 12:25 AM
I don't trust any measure with four grains or less of flake type powder but measure and then weigh every round. There is no doubt that Unique is one of the great powders but is certainly not one of the best measuring.PB has to be one of the best kept secrests among handloaders. The burn rate is quite similar to Unique while it is one of the easiest measuring and clean burning powders that I have tried in fifty years of handloading. I have owned at least two dozen measures over the years and still own about half that many. My all time measure for rifle loads still remains the Redding Master. The RCBS LiL Dandy fills most of my standard pistol loads. A few years ago Midway Arms had a closeout sale on their Frankford Arsenal measures and I purchased one with the pistol rotor for half price. It has turned out to be one of my treasures for most pistol and small rifle loads. These measures cover my basic loads but I also load hundreds of test loads a year. Dip and Drip has replaced the adjustable measures for most of this. Thank God for Lee Dippers. When loading only five or ten test loads at a time this has proven to be much faster than constantly trying to adjust a measure. I have never owned a B&M. They must be rare im my area as I have only seen two or three of them. My old Herters Model Perfect proved to throw charges as consistent as any except possibly the Redfield Master. Hope this is of some help. Neil