PDA

View Full Version : mn 91/30 7.62x54 load and mould info

iron mule
08-03-2009, 09:02 PM
hello all this may have been asked and answered before but i am looking and needing info on loads for the 7.62x54 nagant what mould would ou reccomend i perfer a non gas check the loads i want to work up would be mild 1,400 to abot 1,600 fps these are for my son to get started in rifle shooting and don't want something that will beat him up and discourage him /he is a socky 12 year old/also what powder would you reccomend with this /// thanks for any help on this
mule

mroliver77
08-03-2009, 10:27 PM
I use any fast pistol powder from 6 -10gr under most any cast boolit. You can shoot a gas check boolit without checks. i somtimes tumble lube and then dust with corn starch the boolits for this type plinking. Here is a great read on this also.
http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/TheLoad.html

Jay

Nora
08-03-2009, 11:03 PM
My go to for plinking with the 54R is 10 gr. of Unique under whatever boolit fits the bore. Slug your barrel first then decide on a mold. The diameter is the most important thing to look at first. That in itself may determine or limit what options are available in a mold selection.

Nora

iron mule
08-04-2009, 08:09 PM
hey guys thanks for the info and help here //mroliver77 the link you gave was good//// nora the info on slugging the bore was good also it's .312 groove /// little more info i load a lot of black powder cart. but not much smokeless so not up on the new fangled stuff that much keep thinkin it's some kinda fad that will pass over before too long /// if anyone knows of a mold perferably non gas check that works good in this round i would thank you to pass it on
mule

Frank46
08-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Probably the best mold for your rifle would be the lyman 314299 and sized to .314.
Javeling lube, hornady gas check winchester wlr primer and about 20 grains of IMR 4759 powder. You can go up about a couple grains if needed safely. A lot of the folks here use that bullet in everything from springfields, mausers, enfields, and of course moisins. Frank

Nora
08-05-2009, 12:43 AM
i somtimes tumble lube and then dust with corn starch the boolits for this type plinking.
Jay

I don't want to get off topic, but what advantage is the corn starch to give?

Nora

Mallard57
08-05-2009, 04:23 AM
I don't want to get off topic, but what advantage is the corn starch to give?

Hi,
It keeps the bullets from sticking togethor.
Jeff

badgeredd
08-05-2009, 09:49 AM
iron mule,

Since you have asked for a NON gas checked bullet that'll mold .312 or slightly larger for a plinker, you might want to consider the 311410 by Lyman. It is short which in all likelyhood will affect the accuracy some. It works pretty good for my grandsons in my 91/30 with 2" groups at 50 yards.

Here's an older thread that was all about the 91/30 that you may find useful.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=41924

Another direction would be to get a mold for a GCed boolit and have the gas check shank removed to make a plain based boolit. The 311291 is pretty plentiful used and should be a pretty good boolit for your needs and can be had for a fairly reasonable price used on evilbay.

Also since you do shoot black, you might want to experiment with it on the Nagant.

I know what your saying about lesser recoiling loads for a young shooter. I have been going through a lot of loads for the grandsons and it is a challenge to get a reasonably accurate load to plink with for the younguns!

Edd

iron mule
08-06-2009, 08:57 PM
thanks for the info and help on this /// this smokeless stuff is new to me and didn't know where to start with it // all the info yall gave was a big help with this // thanks again
mule

fireflyfather
08-08-2009, 03:43 AM
I use the Lee TL-312-160 without the gas check over 7 grains of promo or red dot for gallery loads. Cheap as heck, and fine for 25 yard subsonic (or close to it) plinking. You have to adjust the sights to about 700 meters, though. It feels like a .22, maybe less, since the 91/30 is heavy to begin with.

For more substantial work, I use the ed harris load of 13 grains of red dot over a gas checked Lee 312-185-2R tumble lubed or the TL-312-160 with a gascheck. All work fine.