PDA

View Full Version : Tissue Paper?

Treetop
08-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Mrs. Treetop just bought some at an arts and craft store for some female purpose. Intrigued, I miked some at .0015" thick, and it appears to be pretty tough. I haven't wrapped a boolit yet. Has anyone else used it?

docone31
08-03-2009, 08:53 PM
I wouldn't. You will have to wrap twice as much as conventional note book paper.

yeahbub
08-04-2009, 03:57 PM
You might give it a try. If you're starting with a groove dia boolit, the thinner paper will ease the sizing chore since you'd have a .006-.007 increase rather than .009-.010, which is what I get from 100% cotton drafting vellum. One caveat might be the relative toughness of the paper, but a smear of lube to ease it's passing through the sizer and down the barrel will help with that. I use the drafting vellum because it's the toughest paper when wet that I've been anle to find. I'm told papers made of hemp or flax have longer fibers than cotton and are tougher yet. I benefit from the wet strength because I needn't be so concerned about being overly ham-handed while wrapping.

Treetop
08-04-2009, 09:20 PM
You might give it a try. If you're starting with a groove dia boolit, the thinner paper will ease the sizing chore since you'd have a .006-.007 increase rather than .009-.010, which is what I get from 100% cotton drafting vellum.

yeahbub, that is the only reason that I am considering tissue paper. I'm trying to use a Lyman 31141 as a paper patched boolit for use on Texas whitetail and feral hogs this fall. Thanks for your reply.

303Guy
08-05-2009, 03:13 AM
I tried thinner paper for the same reason - my boolits were too big for 'normal' paper. but I was trying cig paper - can't say I had any success with it. a very thin paper I have found is the stuff they use in KFC cartons. It looks like a very thin tracing paper and is about as tough. No field tests so can't say if it's any good. But as far as I can make out, it is the thicker papers that give the best results for folks who use them.

One thing fore sure, paper patching is challanging! So many variables!:mrgreen:

oldoak2000
08-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Mrs. Treetop just bought some at an arts and craft store for some female purpose. Intrigued, I miked some at .0015" thick, and it appears to be pretty tough. I haven't wrapped a boolit yet. Has anyone else used it?

It'll work, but go to walmart instead and get some Meade tracing paper; it works better!