PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter Stainless Bisley Thoughts?

JesterGrin_1
08-03-2009, 02:12 AM
Well to make a short story shorter lol. .44 Man twisted my arm while I was at the local gun show this weekend and picked one up for $480.oo New in the box from the first owner. He never even shot the thing lol. I do not know if this was a good deal or just an even deal but it looks nice. It did take a little bit of work though. The first thing I did is the poor mans trigger job by removing one leg of the hammer spring. Made a HUGE difference in trigger pull. Second problem that I ran across was the cylinder was very hard to remove and or replace back into the gun. With further inspection I noticed that the Ejector Rod was a bit too long and extended just enough to catch the cylinder as to not let it go in or out easy. And it looked like ruger just used a sheer to cut the end of the rod and did a fast deburr on it. So I chucked it up in my cheapo lathe and cut a bit off and thus made it flat and did a nice deburr job as I feel they should have done from Ruger lol. And now the Cylinder drops in and out with ease. Or should say now it will fall out and fall back in without wrestling it. And I also did one more thing .44Man instructed me to do and that was after I cleaned everything real well to lubricate the Cylinder pin and the front and rear bearing surface of the cylinder where it meets the frame and the mechanism that rotates the cylinder with STP. And it is slick now.

And by the way the reason I went to the gun show was to find a LIGHT Ruger Super Blackhawk Stainless in .44 Mag with a 4 5/8 barrel lol. And I called .44Man and he said what is a couple of inches lol. So here I am went from light to a HAMMER lol.

I threw a round ball through the cylinder to check size which came out to .431 and the bore is just a hair under .429. So at least I have a place to start. :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/RugerHunter.jpg

Any thoughts on this Ruger?

jhrosier
08-03-2009, 08:46 AM
Jester,

I just picked up a NIB SBH Hunter last Friday and have had it to the range a couple of times.

I chose the standard grip over the Bisley as I really don't like the look or feel of the larger gripframe.

Mine passed visual inspection with flying colors. It is as well fitted and finished as any of the other four dozen Ruger single actions that I have owned in the last thirty five years. The trigger pull is much heavier than I have ever seen on a Ruger and this will have to be adjusted soon. I usually rebend the long legs of the trigger spring to reduce the pull.

I'm not too patient so I just wiped off the excess oil, checked the bore for obstructions, and went shooting. I figured that I would gauge the throats if it doesn't shoot well.

I had a couple of boxes of ammo loaded with some 240gr SWC commercial cast boolits that I bought many years ago, over 11grs. Unique.

I broke my left arm about five weeks ago and it is healing well but I still have limited motion and little usable strength in it. I had to fire one handed from a rest and it was not as steady as I would like, but better than not shooting at all.

I fired five "proof" rounds of factory 240gr soft points at 25 yards, and three of the shots were touching in the three inch bull and the other two were about an inch away. Nothing fell off the gun, so I proceeded.

The handloads grouped mostly in about three inches vertical and a bit over one inch horizonal. The gun is difficult to manage with only one hand so I was not discouraged by a few flyers. I had to move the rear sight about 3/64" to the left. The barrel is not visibly mis-indexed so I'm guessing that the alignment is just due to the way that I am holding and resting the gun. I was having difficulty in gripping the gun consistenly from shot to shot and keeping my hand down far enough to control the recoil. My Unclle Mikes shooting glove kept the hammer spur from doing any permanent damage but I was ready for a break after firing seventy rounds.

I was greatly encouraged that the gun shows signs of being capable of very good accuracy, even with my current challenges.

When I got home, I mounted an old Burris 1.5-4X scope on the gun for the next session. I have not fired a handgun with a scope for many years and was surprised how well the scope magnified my wobble.:)

The second range session was a lot more pleasant as the added weight of the scope greatly reduced the recoil.

I first fired a series of two shot groups to get the scope adjusted for point of aim at twenty five yards. I was pleasanly surprised to see that each of the two shot groups had the bullets nearly touching. In ten shots I had the scope adjusted to put the shots well inside the three inch bull, mostly. The awkward one handed hold from the rest still produced one flyer in each five shot group.

I only had ten shots left so I decided to have a try at one hundred yards next. It took two shots to figure where the gun was shooting and then i proceeded to break two clay birds with the next three shots. You can picture me doing the happy dance now. I would prefer to think that this was not entirely luck. I was surprised that the shots were right at the point of aim at one hundred yards when the gun was sighted in for twenty five yards. I am anxious to get some more ammo loaded and have another try at one hundred yards.

I fired the last five rounds at fifty yards to see where the gun might be shooting.
The group was strung out to about five inches vertical and centered on the target. By this time I was pretty tired so I didn't worry about the group size much.

I will be loading some of my vastly superior boolits :-D today and hope to get back to the range tomorrow after my physical therapy appointment.

I am very pleased with the Ruger SBH Hunter. I just wish I had bought one years ago.

Jack

44man
08-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Your up and down stringing is caused by inconsistent grip roll. Do NOT let it roll. Hold it firm enough so the gun raises your arm or wrist without your grip position changing.
It can be a little tough with the wood panels but the glove should give you bite.
Then the rear bag must not change from shot to shot either so it is best to fill the bag tight with sand. A squiggly bag will string shots.
The boolits and loads you are using will not show what the gun can do either.

leadman
08-03-2009, 12:53 PM
$480 was a decent buy. I have seen them for sale for close to $600, but don't know if they ever sold.
I have the standard grip frame on mine. It is in 41 magnum and the most accurate revolver I have fired.
Dealer gave me a box of PMC ammo with it upon purchase. Took it to the range and fired a cylinder full at 25 yards, just about 3/4" group well centered without touching the sights.
Put the target out to 100 yards and fired the rest into a 3" group.
I think you will be very happy with this revolver. I really like being able to remove and replace the scope without any other issues.

jhrosier
08-03-2009, 12:53 PM
44man,
I'm operating with one hand (figuratively) tied behind my back due to the injury.
I'm just glad to be able to get in a little shooting because it is boring to be out of work this long.

When I get some strength back in my arm, I want to try the Lee 310 gr boolit in the Hunter.
I have been following your comments about accuracy and loading for a while and intend to try the heavier boolit, cast hard, over a full load and see how it does.

It will probably be several more weeks before I am able to cast again, so I have to use whatever is laying around for now. I have about 30 pounds of the Lee 230 gr TL SWCs all gooped up with LLA from last winters casting so that is what I will have to use for now.

I have never used a rear bag with the handgun for accuracy testing. I use a front rest and a two handed grip with my forearms on the table and that has worked well for me in the past. I try to get the front rest adjusted so that it just barely touches the barrel and find that the gun shoots pretty close to the same point of aim when I hold it unsupported.

Right now I am restricted to one hand and have been resting my elbow on a polyethelene foam block to take up the recoil. It is far from ideal because a can't quite get my arm behind the gun properly, but I allow for that when I look at the groups, paying more attention to the horizonal spread.

I would be real pleased if I can get the gun shooting 4" or a little less at 100 yards. Judging from what i have seen so far, it just might be possible:drinks:

Jack

jhrosier
08-03-2009, 12:57 PM
BTW, does anyone know if there is a gold bead front sight available for these critters?
That darn red plastic insert has got to go.

Jack

Heavy lead
08-03-2009, 01:01 PM
I have the one with the standard grip, bought it before the Bisley came out. I hate the regular grip, I haven't bit the bullet yet and fit a new Bisley frame to it, but may. But the gun itself is a great shooter, and in fact shot it around 70 rounds yesterday. I replaced (as I do all my trigger springs for the Blackhawk) with trapper target trigger springs, not the hammer, I use the factory then replace them with extra power when needed per 44 man. Iffen you ever decide you don't like that Bisley frame and want a regular hunter frame, let me know, I'll gladly swap.
Good Shootin'

bisleyfan41
08-03-2009, 04:19 PM
Ruger sells (or at least used to sell) a gold bead front and v-notch rear blade as a set for the Redhawk. They will work just fine on the Hunter and are reasonable, cost-wise. You may want to check their website to see if they still offer it.

lathesmith
08-03-2009, 05:29 PM
I have that exact gun and it is one of my favorites. $480 was a great deal, they sell for closer to $600 around here. Mine seems to be better fitted than other factory Rugers I have owned. The only change I made to it was one of those base pins with a set screw, in case I decide to go with some heavyweight loads.
I believe at one time I had a gold bead front sight for mine, I know they should be available anyway. I have fiber optics on mine, I like the sight picture and they seem to be very easy to line up. My gun shoots very well with the Lee 200gr FP, I mainly like to shoot mild loads in it, it is very accurate for me this way. I never had any luck with those Lee TL slugs though, severe leading after a cylinderful or so convinced me these weren't a good idea in my gun. If you like revolvers, you should really like this one!
lathesmith

JesterGrin_1
08-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Lathesmith I thought I did remember you had one of these Hammers lol. I felt that maybe just maybe the Hunter would be made better than the other run of the mill Rugers due to its intended usage. Full lug on top of the barrel should give it extra ridgity as well as accuracy over a standard barrel Ruger. But that is just my dumb thinking lol.

And for awhile I will only use the factory sights on it as I broke my egg on this thing lol. I do have a S&W 629 Classic but I was a little nervious about heavy loads in it. So that is why the Ruger.

Since time is short and I have some RD .432-265Gr boolits made up I am going to load those and take it to the range as I plan to do some HOG hunting this weekend. I hope to see one lol. But that range day will be busy lol. I also have to sight in my Marlin 1895GS in 45-70 as I put a scout scope set up on there as I had an up close and personal meet with the scope that was on it lol.

I would use my new 44/444 GB mould but the only size die I have is .432 and they will just not chamber in the Ruger since the throught is .431. They are close but no cigar lol.

And Yep I am a revolver guy. Never held much stock in those semi auto things lol. I have a couple but other than sight in I have never really used them. I would always reach for a Revolver. I know it is just me but I trust them. And Trust is a biggie.

But you did mention the Base pin with the set screw.. I do have one on the way before I knew lol. But .44 Man shoots some darn heavy loads in his and has said he has never seen a need for one. I just do not know.

This is my 2nd Big bore Ruger. Okay the first was really not a Big Bore as it was a .30 Carbine lol. And as I said since I have not messed with a Ruger on oh 30 years I was confounded by the lack of things. Such as it has 2 pins instead of 3 screws but I did know about the Ruger Transfer Bar. Mine did not have this but when it was sent in to Ruger for some work it came back with it along with the parts that came in it and changed it back lol. I was young and just used to what I had. Not to mention it was easy to count to 5 lol. Since you would keep one chamber empty for the hammer to rest in unless you felt you needed that 6th round. :)

44man
08-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Lathesmith I thought I did remember you had one of these Hammers lol. I felt that maybe just maybe the Hunter would be made better than the other run of the mill Rugers due to its intended usage. Full lug on top of the barrel should give it extra ridgity as well as accuracy over a standard barrel Ruger. But that is just my dumb thinking lol.

And for awhile I will only use the factory sights on it as I broke my egg on this thing lol. I do have a S&W 629 Classic but I was a little nervious about heavy loads in it. So that is why the Ruger.

Since time is short and I have some RD .432-265Gr boolits made up I am going to load those and take it to the range as I plan to do some HOG hunting this weekend. I hope to see one lol. But that range day will be busy lol. I also have to sight in my Marlin 1895GS in 45-70 as I put a scout scope set up on there as I had an up close and personal meet with the scope that was on it lol.

I would use my new 44/444 GB mould but the only size die I have is .432 and they will just not chamber in the Ruger since the throught is .431. They are close but no cigar lol.

And Yep I am a revolver guy. Never held much stock in those semi auto things lol. I have a couple but other than sight in I have never really used them. I would always reach for a Revolver. I know it is just me but I trust them. And Trust is a biggie.

But you did mention the Base pin with the set screw.. I do have one on the way before I knew lol. But .44 Man shoots some darn heavy loads in his and has said he has never seen a need for one. I just do not know.

This is my 2nd Big bore Ruger. Okay the first was really not a Big Bore as it was a .30 Carbine lol. And as I said since I have not messed with a Ruger on oh 30 years I was confounded by the lack of things. Such as it has 2 pins instead of 3 screws but I did know about the Ruger Transfer Bar. Mine did not have this but when it was sent in to Ruger for some work it came back with it along with the parts that came in it and changed it back lol. I was young and just used to what I had. Not to mention it was easy to count to 5 lol. Since you would keep one chamber empty for the hammer to rest in unless you felt you needed that 6th round. :)
Stuart, 22 gr of 296 and a Fed 150 primer behind the RD boolit. Felix lube.

JesterGrin_1
08-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Stuart, 22 gr of 296 and a Fed 150 primer behind the RD boolit. Felix lube.

James Thank You. I do remember. But I am stuck for now lol. As I have them with the GC and Alox on them. I know dumb me lol. But I had this problem of which I call the Assumption problem lol. That I did assume I would like them so much in the Marlin that is what I would use. But as you know things change lol.

Plus I may cheat and use H-110. As for Primer all I have is the CCI LPP. Nope not the Mag lol. :)

44man
08-03-2009, 07:16 PM
James Thank You. I do remember. But I am stuck for now lol. As I have them with the GC and Alox on them. I know dumb me lol. But I had this problem of which I call the Assumption problem lol. That I did assume I would like them so much in the Marlin that is what I would use. But as you know things change lol.

Plus I may cheat and use H-110. As for Primer all I have is the CCI LPP. Nope not the Mag lol. :)
Primer and H110 is OK.
But if it was me, I would soak off the LLA, lube with Felix and run through a size die. :mrgreen:

JesterGrin_1
08-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Primer and H110 is OK.
But if it was me, I would soak off the LLA, lube with Felix and run through a size die. :mrgreen:

James I know I know lol. I just do not feel that energetic lol.

thebigmac
08-03-2009, 07:37 PM
I ALSO HAVE ONE. MINE PRINTS 2" AT 25 YDS., 215 Gr GC., ALCAN PRIMERS & 23.9 Gr. H110.
I KNOW... HOT LOAD... BUT IT HANDLES GREAT AND SHOWS NO SITE OF FLATENED PRIMERS. GOT IT OFF A GUY WHO RENTED FROM ME AND DIDN'T PAY HIS RENT. SCOPED WITH 2X BUSHNELL. I LOVE IT.

runfiverun
08-03-2009, 08:14 PM
cliff, smear a bit of jpw on them if you don't wanna take the alox off.
or wipe some of that lube you sent me in the bottom few rings.
i have the 41 version of yours and so far i haven't had a bad load in mine yet.
g/c boolits without g/c's, flgc's, whatever i had on hand shot as well as i do at 50 offhand.
just don't switch back and forth between a couple of other revolvers while getting used to this one.

JesterGrin_1
08-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Will Do RunFiverrun. I tend to concentrate on one thing at a time. And as they say one person one gun watch out lol. So I really do plan for this to be my only use pistol.

I have found with my Limited use that the .44 Mag is a fantastic all around cartridge. You can load them down or load them to full power loads.

My field carry load as just a finish round or snakes or anything that got too close was a 240Gr slug with 5.5Gr of TighGroup which shoots accurate and does not kick more than a .38 out of a S&W 629 Classic.

My first load in this Ruger will be the Ranch Dog .432-265Gr and 22.0GR of H-110 and the CCI-300LPP. As right now the only size die I have is .432 and my Lee 310 and my 44/444 GB mould will not fit the chamber in the cilinder in my Ruger.

But the plan is to go to the Lee 310Gr or the GB 44/444 Boolits.

Any thoughts on this? These rounds are for HOG and Deer Up to I say 100 Yards?

jeff423
08-04-2009, 10:03 PM
I don't know if you want to invest $175.00 in a hammer and trigger kit, but if you do this one is great. I installed mine in about 1/2 hour and now have a very crisp 2 lb pull. This gave it a better trigger than any of my Smith's (except my Model 52)
2 lbs is very nice for targets but I'll probably put in a heavier spring from the kit for hunting.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=925494

Jeff

targetshootr
08-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Any thoughts on this Ruger?

It's not a 45. Kidding. I like 45s but you can't go wrong either way.

JesterGrin_1
08-04-2009, 10:11 PM
It's not a 45. Kidding. I like 45s but you can't go wrong either way.

Did Ken put you up to this lol. :Fire:

runfiverun
08-04-2009, 10:45 PM
sounds like you need a smaller sizer.
let me try to get ahold of the wife. i might be able to send you some boolits to try.
but i just got back to wyoming and might not be able to send them to you for a couple of weeks.

JesterGrin_1
08-04-2009, 10:50 PM
sounds like you need a smaller sizer.
let me try to get ahold of the wife. i might be able to send you some boolits to try.
but i just got back to wyoming and might not be able to send them to you for a couple of weeks.

It is okay my Friend I have a sizer on the way. Should be here by the end of the week or early next week. The sizer was sent from Midway on the 3rd.

I have a Lee .430 sizer on the way as I would have purchased from Midsouth but they only had the .429 and did not have two of the others that I did wish to get so Midway took me for some coin darn it. I am going to punch out the .430 a little at a time till they will just push through the chamber. I am going to try and make them as large as I can to fit the gun. Or at least that is what I was informed to do lol. :)

But again Thank You so much.

How did that red sticky stuff work out for you?
:castmine:

runfiverun
08-04-2009, 10:55 PM
haven't had a chance at it yet.
i do have some 45 230 rn's sitting to be sized and lubed for the usfa's just need to do them and load them when i get to home again.