PDA

View Full Version : Lee seater die giving me fits!

RU shooter
08-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Its a Lee seater die from a 44 mag/spl. set I bought used ,It has a what appears and acts like a carbide sizer ring at the bottom of it and when I go to seat a boolit it takes the flair out of the case mouth before the boolit starts to seat causing lead shaving,and when I lower the press handle it basicly taper crimps the case sqeezing the heck out of the boolit ...I cant shoot cast boolits this way:groner: Is there anyway to remove this ring or am I gonna be looking for a new seater die?

Thanks,Tim

BCall
08-02-2009, 02:10 PM
Sounds like you got a factory crimp die, not a seater die. Billy

358wcf
08-02-2009, 02:14 PM
RU,
Sounds like someone that didn't know better took their die set apart and re-assembled it incorrectly.
I'm guessing from your description that "they" took the decapping rod/pin assembly out of the sizer die (you mention the carbide ring), and replaced it with the seater unit from the seater die.
Did you get just the seater die, or the whole die set? If you got the set, you may find the "guts" of the seater and the sizer have been swapped.
My recommendation: Buy a new, quality set of carbide dies and take good care of them- they will last a lifetime, so invest in quality up front.

"Cheaping out on tools costs more when you have to replace them", and your time and mine aren't free!

358wcf

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-02-2009, 02:25 PM
My suggestion is go to the Lee website, look at the parts pictures for your die and see if it's assembled correctly with the correct parts. If it is, then it's a matter of adjusting it properly. If it's not, simply assembling it correctly with the correct parts will resolve your problem.

Regards,

Dave

Heavy lead
08-02-2009, 02:51 PM
You have a factory crimp die there sir. It isn't a Lee sizer for sure as a Lee seating assembly would not fit in a Lee seater.

Outdoors
08-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Could it be a Carbide speed die? If so, the sizing ring should be knurled, and you can just twist it off.
Here's a pic of that die in 9mm
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=636438

Also, I have the instructions for the 44 speed die, and can probably scan them for ya.
PM me if you want a copy.

Pat

RU shooter
08-02-2009, 04:12 PM
You have a factory crimp die there sir. It isn't a Lee sizer for sure as a Lee seating assembly would not fit in a Lee seater.
Yep that is what it seems to be! it never occurred to me it was a tapper crimp die as I thought they were made only for autoloader rounds.

Well anyone got an extra 44 spl./mag seater die they want to sell off ? trade ya for a factory tapper crimp die!!!

Thanks all for the help,Tim