PDA

View Full Version : TiteGroup - 45 Colt, 480 Ruger, 475 Linebaugh

Naphtali
08-02-2009, 12:37 PM
I want to introduce a non-shooter to big bore revolver shooting. I do not want to buy different powders or primers, though. I want to use what I have. What are the lightest TiteGroup handloads using the following components?

1. 45 Colt, Winchester brass, Large pistol (magnum) primer, 280-grain bullet?

2. 480 Ruger, Starline brass, Large pistol (magnum) primer, 340-355-grain bullet?

3. 475 Linebaugh, Starline brass, Large pistol (magnum) primer, 340-355-grain bullet?

Echo
08-02-2009, 02:43 PM
If the person is a non-shooter, I would start with a .22! Teach them the basics of pistol shooting and let them grow into big bore shooting. When they can shoot a .22 without jerking, move up to a .38, and use ball-&-dummy practice. When they can keep them in the black at 25 yards, move up to popcorn loads in the big bore. When they can keep them in the black @ 25 yards, move up to more powerful loads. We are talking about spending months in this effort. It's not something that will happen overnight.

Starting them on even popcorn loads in a big bore will teach them to flinch, jerk, and Ride The Recoil, and you will have a he]] of a time getting them to unlearn these foibles.

MtGun44
08-02-2009, 06:25 PM
I have used about 4.5 TG in .44 mag with 180 gr boolits and kids love
shooting it in my Mountain Gun.

Should be about the same in the .45 Colt, but you need to find a lighter
boolit if you can.

Don't go too far down or you will stick a boolit in the bbl.

Make sure you take a brass rod with you the first time you try some of
these super light loads.

Bill

txhunter77
08-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Check out Hodgdon load data online. They don't list the exact bullet weights you listed, but you should be able to figure out something that will work.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

cbrick
08-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Here is an article in American Handgunner by John Taffin on the 45 Colt that should give you some info.

The .45 Colt is great! (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_176_29/ai_n13785456/)

Hope it helps,

Rick

Frank
08-04-2009, 12:41 PM
cbrick says
Here is an article in American Handgunner by John Taffin on the 45 Colt that should give you some info.

The .45 Colt is great!

Hope it helps,

Rick

But Mike Venturino only shows light boolits and 25 yds groups (page 3)[smilie=p:. I know the requirement was 'light loads' for a 'new shooter'. :coffee:

I'd like to see an evaluation with heavy bullets and 50 yds. I'm anxiously waiting for Le Plet's evaluation. :shock: