PDA

View Full Version : 454190 in a tubular magazine?

2ndAmendmentNut
08-01-2009, 11:53 PM
Lyman’s 454190 mold in a tubular magazine? I have heard of people shooting them from their lever actions, but is this wise? The combination of a pointy nose and the lack of a crimp groove would seem to cause serious problems. With a case full of BP I suppose a crimp groove would not be totally necessary, but that nose still looks questionable. Does anyone have a Lyman manual with info on this one way or the other?

beagle
08-02-2009, 12:00 AM
I've shot quite a few through my shooting partner's Marlin with no ill affects.

If it really worries you, bump a larger meplat on it when sizing./beagle

cajun shooter
08-02-2009, 09:45 AM
The 454190 is my choice for my rifle loads in CAS matches shooting the Frontier Cartridge class. I have fired thousands of them. I load my cases with Goex 2F and compress that down when seating. I use my 550 and seat and crimp in separate stages. I use the Lee crimp die to put the crimp. I had Dave Farmer make me a custom 454190 mold with 3 cavities. Blammer helped me with the design and Dave Farmer tweaked that some to come up with the final design. We deepened and widened the lube grooves and gave the nose a wider profile. The mold drops them at around 260 grs. If you are interested I will send you a few to look at. The stock bullet will work but not as well.