PDA

View Full Version : which rifle should I buy?

superior
08-01-2009, 07:28 PM
One of my elderly customers has a large gun collection and when I asked him if he had anything in 303 Brit, he replied " I have 2 british 303's!.." He bought them many years ago for about $20 each.. I then asked if he'd be willing to part with them and he agreed to sell me either a 1917 no1mk3 in full batlle dress for $50 or an original jungle-carbine for $100 dollars..He never shoots them at all and says they are very clean and in great condition. The jungle carbine stock has been replaced with a fancy high cheek rest stock but the rest of the rifle is all original complete with bayonet lug, conical flash hider and military sights. I'm leaning towards the jungle carbine..I currently own a copy of a jungle carbine , that is really a re-worked no1mk3 put out by santa fe arms complete with crappy sights. Will the stock from my copy fit the real thing? Should I buy both rifles?:confused:

GabbyM
08-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Well of course buy them both. What kind of question is that to ask around here. :mrgreen:

I'd probably go with the full battle dress in original condition but that's me.
In my case I'd want one to shoot high power in that class and it would need to be original. Not that I get off my but and shoot high power rifle but that's what I'd want.

pbbutz
08-01-2009, 08:19 PM
No brainer, get both and then go find some mausers, mosins and 03's also. Whacha waiting for? :drinks:

johnly
08-01-2009, 08:33 PM
If I could only have one of them, it would be the jungle carbine. Then spend some time looking for a set of military wood for it.

John

docone31
08-01-2009, 08:35 PM
I would go with the #1MKIII. I have three. With a three point bedding, they are tack drivers!
Gotta play with sizeing though. Mine fires paper at .314.

mooman76
08-01-2009, 08:39 PM
I also say get both but if you can only have one get the MKIII. It shoots better.

Three44s
08-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Two rifles for 150 smackers ...........?

Whatcha waitin' for???

(Get both)

Three 44s

MtGun44
08-01-2009, 10:12 PM
The carbines are known stinkers in the accy and holding the poi to sights.

Bill

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-01-2009, 10:40 PM
If you buy the jungle carbine and need an original jungle carbine stock, I have one if you need one.

That said, I'd buy both rifles if he'd sell them.

Dave

superior
08-02-2009, 01:16 AM
I heard that! If he only sells one, I'm goin for the shorty. I'm looking for a woods rifle more than a target piece. I load some pretty potent 200 grainers at about 2000fps and 185's at 2200+. Both good deer, elk and blackbear/cat defense loads. If he sells both, I'm getting both ! I'm anxious to see if the fore-stock is original on the carbine because like I said, the shoulder stock on my copy might be the same as an original. In any case, I will be looking for original wood if I need to. Dave, I'll keep yours in mind. Thanks all..