PDA

View Full Version : Tang sight for hunting and moving targets.

Griffin
08-01-2009, 05:44 PM
hi there,:-D
i am a Swede so i dont have the american knowledge of imortant things like this...
i have a winchester m94 with 18 inch barrel in caliber 30-30, the usual one.

i use it our swedish moving elk shooting ranges for practice an i only use open sights at 90 yards moving target. also for forrest hunting.
the front sight is a high recknagel fiberoptic bead and the rear sight is a williams "bridge".

i have looked at marble´s and lymans tang sights and recievers but i didnt come to any conclusions so i am asking you.

which is in your opinion the best sight for moving target and forrest hunting up to 100yds?
i have tried a 45/70 ruger #1 with a reciever at the back and that made things easier i must say.

is there stuff i need to think about since i have a higher sight line than the original?

best regards
Karl

James C. Snodgrass
08-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Welcome aboard Griffin ! I have a williams receiver sight on my 94's and a marbles tang on my 95 . They are fairly similar with the exception of the tang does move with recoil and has to be pushed back after each shot . I don't know if you would be better off with a ghost ring rear instead of a small aperture ? Good luck James

Griffin
08-01-2009, 06:41 PM
Thanks James! PeterB told me this was a great place.

well if the tang moves with recoil the idea of a quick second shot falls which is very inportant i believe when hunting wild bore. i knew i should ask before deciding.
reciever it is, but what is a ghost ring?

BoolitBill
08-01-2009, 06:43 PM
I prefer the XS Ghost ring myself, the tang sight seems to always be right where I want to wrap my thumb around the stock. Check out this website: http://www.xssights.com/store/rifle.html

Dave B
08-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Griffin, if you were to unscrew the disc on your Williams sight you would have a kind of "Ghost Ring" using the threaded hole.

Pepe Ray
08-01-2009, 11:11 PM
" Ghost Ring" is a term coined by our Col. Jeff Cooper describing what happens to the aperture when it is being used properly. It disappears "like a ghost".

A proper spring in a tang site should not move under normal recoil.

The tang sight can sometimes be uncomfortable to use/carry in the one hand grip wrist position and can be painful if not careful under heavy recoil.

No matter which aperture sight is chosen, look into the Merit adjustable aperture sold as an aftermarket item. They come in at least 2 different thread sizes and a target as well as a hunting version. WTWIG.
Pepe Ray

Four Fingers of Death
08-02-2009, 12:21 AM
I would have thought for fast moving targets an open sight, preferably flat would have been best. That's why Sgt York was allowed to carry an 03' when the rest of his regiment carried M17s I have always been told.

I used the Reciever sights, both Williams and Lyman and used to unscrew the peep and stick it in my fob pocket when I hunted heavy cover, screwed it back in when I was out in the open. Worked for me.

Lloyd Smale
08-02-2009, 05:27 AM
personaly there about the fastest open sight for me. I dont like them with the apature taken out but will buy an extra one and drill it to a size larger then factory. I will then use the smaller one for bench work and the the large one for hunting. Ive got them (mostly lymans) on all of my lever guns.

Four Fingers of Death
08-02-2009, 06:22 AM
I have a NIB Redfield and a good Pachmyr Low Swing mount and rings to suit a Model 70, I'm gonna have to build that 3006 one day. With today's scopes the back up sight is more fanciful than necessary, but that's the set up I used to drool over in yankee gun mags when I was a boy.

northmn
08-02-2009, 07:37 AM
I grew up in the brush of Minnesota which used to be 30-30 country until the magnum craze took over. A whole lot of Winchesters and Marlins were carried with the Williams 5-D peep sight and the aperature removed and a whole lot of deer shot that way. Open sights did not give the longer range precision of peep sights in the field and tended to shoot high for quick work as the hunters had a tendency to put the bead on top of the rear sight instead of in the notch. Actually takes longer to align a open sight than a peep sight. I use one on my Marlin with very good results. My daughter shot 5 deer with it before I had to bribe her with a different rifle to get it back.

Northmn

Griffin
08-02-2009, 07:52 AM
i am attaching pictures showing my sights and gun.
i know its not the fanciest gun but i love it.

the sight line is 15-16mm over the back part of the mechanism and i wonder if its possible to rise a reciever this high?

the recknagel flat "bead" front sight is lovely "in action" and i would want to combine this front sight with a reciever which i think would work fine for my eyes.
the williams rear sight is good for fast firing at close range but at 100 yds i would like more accuracy :)
also, the accuracy is needed for the bench testing my homemade lymans and others:mrgreen:

pietro
08-02-2009, 09:21 AM
[i am a Swede so i dont have the american knowledge of imortant things like this...]

Don't knock yourself - you've already done better than many Americans, by installing a fiber-optic front sight for better hunting, and a taller one that will stand you in good position for installing a receiver peep sight.

For forest shooting/hunting, I found a tang peep sight ever a little bit slower to sight than a receiver peep sight - which is what I would recommend for your rifle & needs.

Your top-eject rifle should already have the two small holes (about 1/2" apart) in the upper left receiver sidewall drilled/tapped for a peep sight, but temporarily plugged.

The easiest for you to buy/install would be either a current production Williams ( 2 models) or a Lyman 66 - which both would fit.

The least expensive (50% of the others), because it has the coarsest adjustment procedure, would be the Williams 5D-94/36 - which is a "set and forget" type of sight, not easily re-adjusted.

The Lyman 66 and the Williams FP-94/36 (FoolProof), have "click" adjusters for W&E, and so may be easily reset for various distances or different loadings, if you so choose.

All three receiver peep sight's horizontal sighting bar can lie just atop the bolt, or higher - depending upon how you zero it with your loading.

Williams 5D:

http://www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/image?saleitemid=583902

Williams FP:

http://www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/image?saleitemid=198988

Lyman 66:

http://www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/image?saleitemid=716636

runfiverun
08-02-2009, 12:53 PM
the lyman also has the set screw to stop you from going lower with it.
you can mark one setting on the side and lower till it touches the set screw for another distance.
for my 25-20 i use it this way for 50 and 100 yds.
for something like a 30-30 i would set it for 100 and like 300 yds.

Rick459
08-02-2009, 01:59 PM
i just bought the marbles new improved peep tang sight with the removeable post and am not to happy with it. either i have a defect post as there is a lot of movement in the post where it is secured with the set screw. it's like when they drilled the hole for the set screw they set it too low on the post bottom to where the detent ball pushes up on one side of the post base and cants it. i guess a call to marbles is in order.
Rick

Griffin
08-02-2009, 02:15 PM
thank you all for the help and information, now i know what i need.

either i will buy a lyman 66 or a Williams FP-94/36 reciever.

Lyman is possible to order in Sweden for around $200 with shipping and i cant find williams peepsight anywhere. :-(

do you think its possible that somebody in here (cast boolits) has a spare so that i can post a thread at swappin and selling? i am new here so i havnt got any idea...

do lyman/williams sell international? anbody that knows?

thanks again

karl

MtGun44
08-02-2009, 05:58 PM
PM me, I'll help you to get a Williams if you want. Should be able to beat $200 by
a whole lot on the Lyman, too.

Receiver peep with the disk removed is the sight you want for fast and furious shooting.

Another drawback to the tang for quick hunting is that you can injure an eye if you
do not wear glasses. Tangs are excellent for targets and stand shooting hunting,
but a bit slower for fast stuff, very uncomfortable to hold with some rifles, OK with others.
If you hunt with bare eyes, do not use a tang.

Bill

Griffin
08-03-2009, 12:57 AM
Thanks Bill,
you have a PM.

Lloyd Smale
08-03-2009, 06:53 AM
if it would be any cheaper i can purchase what you want here and ship it to you.

MtGun44
08-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Lloyd,

Thanks - I'm already on it.

Bill

crabo
08-04-2009, 11:58 PM
Today I was shooting my 39A with a Marbles tang sight on the shilouette targets. I unscrewed the disc and just used the hole. I could see a lot better. My eyes are 57 years old and it made seeing the target a lot easier. I practiced coming up from a ready position on the pig and it was a lot easier to hit quickly.

I think I will buy a couple of extra disc and drill a few of them out I had followed some other shooters advice and had a skinny Skinner front sight insert installed. I think I need to go back to a wider front sight.

Getting old sucks.