PDA

View Full Version : free wheel weights

JMtoolman
08-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Just got back from getting my third set of tires in three weeks! My dealer was good to me for the second time. He put three buckets of wheel weights in the back of the jeep. Just weighed them and there was 340 pounds in there before melting them! This is on top of the 320 Lbs. he gave me a couple of weeks ago! I should be set for quite a few years of casting. Give your tire dealer some business and he might be kind to you. I have been using the same one for about thirty years. Best regards, John the toolman.

PhoenixRising
08-01-2009, 08:03 PM
I have been stopping by at my local discount tire store and have been successful by retreiving 2 boxes in exchange for a box of fresh donuts in the morning. Lately the manager has been transfered and the new one is a stickler. Pretty bummed but will contiune to ask for a few boxes next time I buy some new tires. Hopefully before they pass the new wheel weight laws.

mtgrs737
08-01-2009, 08:30 PM
I quit buying tires at one dealers shop just because he stood me up on his promise of a couple of buckets of WW's. He found that he could scrap the weights and opted to do that, but that was when lead was high. I wonder if he misses my tire business now that lead is selling lower. My new tire guy provides five times the weights and his tires roll just as well!

By the way I paid both dealers for the weights so it was not like they were giving them to me.

Chunky Monkey
08-01-2009, 09:18 PM
I quit buying tires at one dealers shop just because he stood me up on his promise of a couple of buckets of WW's. He found that he could scrap the weights and opted to do that, but that was when lead was high. I wonder if he misses my tire business now that lead is selling lower. My new tire guy provides five times the weights and his tires roll just as well!

By the way I paid both dealers for the weights so it was not like they were giving them to me.

I just got tires and since my wife works at a Walmart distribution center we get a 10% discount so I got my tires there. I asked them if I could buy some wheel weights and they said they are not allowed to sell them. One guy even said he wanted some to make sinkers and wasn't allowed.

Oh, well I saved $9.00 per tire.

Down South
08-01-2009, 10:35 PM
I've tried to get WW from several Walley Worlds. I think it would be easier to rob a bank than to get WW from them.

JIMinPHX
08-01-2009, 10:53 PM
I've tried to get WW from several Walley Worlds. I think it would be easier to rob a bank than to get WW from them.

Banks have lead now?

:mrgreen:

Bob.
08-01-2009, 11:06 PM
Just got back from getting my third set of tires in three weeks! My dealer was good to me for the second time. He put three buckets of wheel weights in the back of the jeep. Just weighed them and there was 340 pounds in there before melting them! This is on top of the 320 Lbs. he gave me a couple of weeks ago! I should be set for quite a few years of casting. Give your tire dealer some business and he might be kind to you. I have been using the same one for about thirty years. Best regards, John the toolman.

Man you must be hard on tires! :shock:

Wow 660 lb in two trips !

Good deal!

Bob.

roadwarrior307
08-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Does anyone know what the actual metal composition of a wheel weight is? I have heard that it is either pure lead, or lead with antimony in it. Can anyone tell me before I start mixing tin in?

SciFiJim
08-02-2009, 01:33 PM
According to the Reloader's Reference alloy calculator, clip on WWs composition is 95% Lead, .5% Tin, 4.5% Antimony. Stick on WWs composition is 99% Lead, .5% Tin, .5% Antimony.

fredj338
08-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Does anyone know what the actual metal composition of a wheel weight is? I have heard that it is either pure lead, or lead with antimony in it. Can anyone tell me before I start mixing tin in?
THis site has a ton of great info for bullet casters. http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletAlloy.htm Each ww manuf. will have slightly diff alloy compositions, but it's closeenough. You are looking for a final BHN, so a hardness tester is nice to have.

roadwarrior307
08-02-2009, 11:35 PM
I really appreciate the direction. I hope to start casting soon. This site is full of some really cool people, and I am looking forward to making my own bullets rock.

XWrench3
08-03-2009, 09:51 AM
man, i would LOVE to get a score like that! even if i had to buy them! the best i have been able to do is 1 - 5 gallon bucket. i guess that is what happens when you live in a small town, and there are multiple smelters around.