PDA

View Full Version : A gunsmithing question

Beekeeper
08-01-2009, 03:06 PM
As I have posted before I am in the process of rebuilding(not restoring) a Gahendra Martini-Henry.
After several weeks of work I have come to the conclusion that the barrel is toast, There is just too much damage to be able to shoot it safely.
Last night while I was working in several of the other parts I was thinking about obtaining a barrel.
I have several 71/84 Mauser barrels that I bought a couple of years ago from Centerfire systems for $8.00 each.
The one is pristine and except for slight pitting on the outside you would think it has never been fired.
It is 1 3/4 inch shorter than the Gahendra barrel and the threads do not match.
Looking at the cases the 71/84 holds about 2/3 as much black powder as the 577/450 case of the Gahendra so the load to my way of thinking would be lighter.
the slugs are .446 for the 71/84 and .455 for the Gahendra.

My thought was to turn down the threaded portion of the mauser barrel and the area above the chamber and sleeve it. back to the deminsions of the Gahendra and rethread The only other change would be to the extractor of the Gahendra to fit the 71/84 brass.
Since it is a single shot no other changes would have to be made, I think!

I am looking for a gunsmith to talk the project over with and check out it's feasibilityas well as possibly doing the work.

Since both weapons are antiques there are no FFL problems that I can see and If possible I would like to have someone here on the forum do the work.
If you know of someone let me know via PM or e-mail please.

Possibly Buckshot if he is interested!

Jim

beekeeper