PDA

View Full Version : Tasco Scope Problem

Maven
08-01-2009, 11:53 AM
Several weeks ago I was shooting my Ruger #1 (.243Win.), which wears a Tasco World Class 3x - 9x 40mm scope and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with Hornady 87gr. BTSP's @ ~3,000fps. Normally they group into 1" and ~16" high @ 100yds. compared to my cast bullet load (Ly. 245946, ~87gr. + 14gr. WC 820). After many wasted shots, I discovered that the bullets were 40" high and at least 12" to the left. This was rather bizarre since I hadn't dropped the rifle or scope or changed its settings. I was eventually able to zero it, and thought that was the end of the matter: I found out differently the other day using my usual CB load. The scope would not return to its original settings or stay zeroed for more than 1 or 2 shots. After determining it wasn't the front end hangar screw or the mounts, I concluded it had to be the 25 yr. old scope, which had performed flawlessly up until then. As if that wasn't bad enough, finding a Tasco repair station was almost an exercise in futility too. Ergo, if you have a Tasco or Redfield optic that needs repair, use your search engine to find ABO (USA), Inc. Here is their address:

ABO (USA)
14041 SW 139th Court
Miami, FL 33186

Btw, it costs $35.00 + $1.00/$100 insurance for a repair.

Recluse
08-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the info.

I have an old, old Tasco 3x9 scope on my Savage 110B 30-06. I keep thinking that I ought to put a "better" scope on that gun as it's a tack-driver in every sense of the word. But with that old Tasco scope, I can drill three and four-shot groups (j-bullets and custom handloads) at 100 yards that can be covered with a dime, easily. I can do this time after time after time.

Learned a long time ago, if it ain't broken don't try to fix it.

Have a couple of "golden antler" Tasco scopes a rep gave me back in 1992 at the New Orleans SHOT show. One is on my Ruger 10-22 and is a 3x9 and I've never had a second's worth of trouble from it. The other is a standard 4x that sits on a Norinco .22LR bolt-action rifle I bought, new, for $29 wholesale at the same SHOT show. That gun is scary accurate. I mean, plumb dang scary. I've NEVER had a .22LR, bolt action, lever or semi or single-shot, that shot as well as this gun.

Shame that it was made by the stinking ChiComs.

I kinda liked the old Tasco scopes back when they were made in Japan.

:coffee:

jameslovesjammie
08-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Good to know. We have an old Redfield spotting scope that seems to be really out of focus the last couple of years.

mpmarty
08-01-2009, 03:11 PM
I've got a thirty-five year old Tasco "Euro Class" 1.5 X 6 X 44 that got dropped and bent like a horseshoe and they sent me another scope without any questions or cost. That was about five years ago. My horse fell and rolled on the rifle and scope.

Shiloh
08-01-2009, 03:22 PM
I have a old 6-24 Tasco that the crosshairs started looking like an X. Sent it in. Six weeks and three shots later, same problem. They eventually replaced it.

Shiloh

Doc Highwall
08-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Do they work on the old Redfield 3200 target scopes?

Maven
08-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Doc, I don't know as their website isn't "content rich." Here's the website:
www.abousainc.com Maybe you can e-mail them or find a tel. no. (must be a state secret because I don't think it's given on the website).

Doc Highwall
08-01-2009, 05:18 PM
I found these numbers on their web site (305)860-4858 - Repair information line
(305)859-2010 - Customer Service line
(305)232-7359 - Fax Thank's Maven!:drinks:

leadman
08-01-2009, 06:43 PM
With the change of hands awhile back I was denied warranty on a Tasco world class because it was made by the former company. I had called and was told it would be covered, but got a letter saying they would not repair it. The crosshairs had broken.
It went in the trash after I made them pay to send it back to me.This scope was probably 10 years old at the time, would be about 15 now.

goste
08-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Thank's for that info. Maven....
I bought a new .243 Rem 700, and a 3x9 Tasco, in 1988. I zeroed it in, and since then I've taken 32 whitetail, with the Combo.. Last year, while sighting in, it was shooting way off, and wouldn't hold true.. I killed no. 32, but hit it way far back. I was going to buy a Leupold, or nikon this year, but Now I'll send mine in..

I know some people bad mouth Tasco, but I can't complain about mine.. Thanks again for the address.

Ben
08-02-2009, 05:05 PM
I've bought my fair share of cheap scopes, Baruska, Tasco, Simmons, etc , then after you own them for a short period of time. TROUBLE, then..............$35 to get them to honor the " Lifetime Warranty ".

No more of that for me. I'm going with Leupold, B & L, etc. now.
May cost more, but you're getting a whole lot more scope.

Ben

SierraWhiskeyMC
08-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Do they work on the old Redfield 3200 target scopes?
Apparently, they still have parts for Redfields that were made in Denver, CO, and techs that were trained by Redfield in Denver.

I have an old spotting scope that belonged to my Dad that needs repair; I may send it down to them - they do work on other mfgr's opticals.

The Colt scope on my vintage '74 Colt AR-15 sporter was initially allowing me to punch nickel and quarter sized groups at 100 yards, then all of a sudden I was all over the place, and disgustedly blamed myself for poor shooting technique.

After letting myself cool off overnight, I discovered that by holding it horizontally and rotating the 'scope on it's longitudinal axis near my ear, I could hear a faint "tink" noise coming from it. Apparently, the reticle had broken loose from it's mounting.

After reading many threads on many forums, I discovered that:
1) Tasco was the OEM supplier for Colt for these particular AR-15 scopes.
2) ABO USA Inc. was the go-to repair facility for these scopes.
3) Although the scope itself was made by Tasco, since it was not manufactured under the Tasco label, the Tasco warranty did not apply.

However, following the instructions for the "other" manufacturers on this page:
http://www.abousainc.com/OtherOptics.htm
I sent the scope in with a check. It came back about a month later, and has worked just fine ever since.