PDA

View Full Version : M1 as a single shot

deemakjack
08-01-2009, 10:31 AM
I like shooting from the bench and get tired of looking for the spent brass. Is there a SAFE way to render the M1 so the action will not cycle and must be operated by hand. Newby to shooting the M1. Thanks

Deemakjack

wiljen
08-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Yeah several ways.

1.) unscrew the gas plug and leave it off
2.) get an adjustable gas plug and open it wide open
3.) get another gas plug and drill a hole through it front to back so it ports the gas.

I'd opt for #1 to try and #2 as a more permanent solution.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=777146
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1538/Product/M1_GARAND_ADJUSTABLE_GAS_SYSTEM

deemakjack
08-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Wiljen,
Thanks. That is exactly the answer I was looking for.

DMJ

garandsrus
08-01-2009, 06:19 PM
DMJ,

If you remove the gas plug, the entire gas assembly can become loose, resulting in quite a "wandering zero". Option 2 or 3 from Wiljen is what you want. Option 3 would be the cheapest.

John

shotman
08-01-2009, 06:53 PM
DONT take gas plug off YOU WILL KILL someone. WIL you know better than that. get the Shouster plug and you can adjust to what you want Its about $30 and that way you can shoot any load you want in the Garand.

tejano
08-03-2009, 09:54 AM
A few months ago I bought a schuster gas plug and a (single shot) sled. The sled is sometimes tricky, but it and the adjustable plug work as advertised. Most of the time I only get to shoot on weekends when the range is crowded and keeping track of your brass is not easy. At least one or two are always lost.

NuJudge
08-03-2009, 12:09 PM
There are lots of Gas Cylinder Plugs of the Poppet Valve design, where they've gone bad and leak gas badly. If you were to go to a forum such as Culver's Shooting Page, and place a WTB advertisement, you could probably get one for the postage.

http://www.milsurps.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73

leadman
08-03-2009, 12:44 PM
What if he is shooting a carbine?

Lead Fred
08-03-2009, 02:16 PM
I use a Halbrook device, so I can already load single rounds, or add to a partial enbloc.

I use my old gas plug and bored a hole thru it. It dont cycle :mrgreen:

Id not mess with a variable gas plug, I like my NM op rod just the way it is

wiljen
08-03-2009, 08:09 PM
DONT take gas plug off YOU WILL KILL someone. WIL you know better than that. get the Shouster plug and you can adjust to what you want Its about $30 and that way you can shoot any load you want in the Garand.

Wasnt suggesting you do this for long - like I said - for a test, it will work, just don't unscrew the gas assembly - only back the plug out. Never heard of one launching an op rod tip yet.

smokemjoe
08-04-2009, 08:08 AM
I took a punch and pushed out the valve on one and that works .

shotman
08-05-2009, 03:39 AM
I wasnt talking the tip of rod. The whole gas port can be shot off if the plug is let stay loose. We have had a tree shot and a car hit and one was never found. From the plug being loose and it messed up the threads on the barrel.
The spelling was wrong on the plug Its SCHUSTER you can look it up .That is best way to use a Garand you can load any way you want and keep the brass at your feet. Its the best money you can spend. I load many different loads and you can almost adjust it from the info you wright down. It stops the slaming and makes gun feel different

Tumtatty
08-10-2009, 11:14 PM
I just found this thread.
I have been loading for my Garand and only using 16gr of 2400. I have to cock the rifle manually after each shot to eject and load a new round.

Is this harmful? I never thought that it might be damaging my rifle.

KCSO
08-12-2009, 04:25 PM
As a further note this months Home Shop Machinist magazine has a very good article on making a single shot conversion magazne for the M1. The sled is a must have, trust me.

Le Loup Solitaire
08-12-2009, 07:49 PM
I've often shot my Garands single shot by using loadings that are not strong enough to recycle the action; many of the combinations of bullet and powder were very accurate and of course the recoil was much less. It does not hurt the rifle in any way, or lets put it this way....the wear isn't any more or less than if using standard loads that function the action. The only nuisance for me is being a southpaw and when pulling the op-rod open to eject the fired cases, they catch me with the open mouths almost every time and that nicks and scratches my hand/fingers/knuckles. Bleeding isn't fun; A glove helps in that regard. LLS

TAWILDCATT
08-17-2009, 04:59 PM
I have a clip for single loading it stays in the gun.it can be remove easily.:coffee:
I think Numrich sell them or Sarco.I also have two and five round.:coffee:[smilie=1:

wiljen
08-17-2009, 07:27 PM
I wasnt talking the tip of rod. The whole gas port can be shot off if the plug is let stay loose. We have had a tree shot and a car hit and one was never found. From the plug being loose and it messed up the threads on the barrel.
The spelling was wrong on the plug Its SCHUSTER you can look it up .That is best way to use a Garand you can load any way you want and keep the brass at your feet. Its the best money you can spend. I load many different loads and you can almost adjust it from the info you wright down. It stops the slaming and makes gun feel different

Learn something new everyday, never seen that but I'll remember it. Thanks for the warning.

Silvertip 44
08-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Order a Schuster variable gas plug and a sled (Fulton Armory). Make sure the plug is adjusted just open enough to keep the rifle from cycling. You can then operate it as a bolt action.
Do not completely remove the gas plug and fire the rifle. This could damage a fine firearm or injure bystanders.
Safety should always be the most important thought on your mind.