PDA

View Full Version : What seems to be the best hunting bullet in the 357?

BOOM BOOM
08-01-2009, 04:27 AM
HI,
What is the best hunting bullet in the 357 mag. pistol ?

Bret4207
08-01-2009, 08:52 AM
For what? Deer? Bear? Woodchucks? For small game a standard WC at 38 Special mid range velocity is hard to beat. For coyotes and woodchucks, porkys, beaver, feral dogs the 150-160 gr SWC designs like the 358156 work well. For deer and black bear I prefer something in the 170-180 gr area with a decent metplat. The 358429 and Lee 38-180FN seem to work well. I've killed maybe 100 deer with 158 JSP magnum ammo. A cast boolit will out penetrate them any day of the week.

My best advice? Find a boolit of proper design that your gun like to shoot. Even on deer, which seem big, accuracy is key.

HeavyMetal
08-01-2009, 10:21 AM
+1 on what Bert says.

Bought a Contender 357 barrel a year or so ago, early Octogon with very minimal "throat", and then stumbled across a SC Lyman 358429 mold.

Got Buckshot to HP it for me and it works great! Have not hunted with it yet but would have no fear of any deer walking away from a well placed shot!

Treeman
08-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Lyman 358429.

Not the only good bullet but so proven that further search isn't needed.........unless you have a short cylinder .357 and can't use.357 brass and crimp in the groove. Keith loved his bullet and just seated deep and crimped over the front band. You can shorten your brass some and still use the groove, use .38 spl brass (I don't like that since a magnum load could all too easily wind up in a .38). Or go find another SWC or FP. There are lots of good ones.

GLynn41
08-01-2009, 11:50 AM
in a 6" Colt trooper I once while I crimped over the front band the bullet 358429 would punch a hole in a late 50's Buick bumper-- it was thick and big -- and this was the only bullet I had that would-- +1 on Buckshot --he did a 410459 for me --good job

Glen
08-01-2009, 12:13 PM
+1 for everything Bret said. The one other thing I would add is that if vermin are on the list (ground squirrels, jack rabbits, chucks, etc.) that Elmer's HP (the Lyman/Ideal 358439) is an excellent bullet.

jameslovesjammie
08-01-2009, 12:22 PM
The best bullet I have used on deer is the Hornady XTP 180 grain. As far as boolits go, I just got the 180 grain HP from Night Owl and the 205 grain Group Buys that should be even better!

BOOM BOOM
08-02-2009, 12:48 AM
HI,
This will be mainly for deer, but want it to be up to discouraging a bear if it tried to come in my tent with me. For that matter if a bear tried to take my deer, I would eat him too!:Fire::Fire:

stubshaft
08-02-2009, 02:01 AM
J-word 180gr Remington JHP.

anachronism
08-02-2009, 10:09 AM
My personal favorite is the 185 LBT LFN, if your revolvers cylinder is long enough to handle it. Mine shoots it's best at about 1300 fps or so.

RayinNH
08-02-2009, 10:31 AM
A .45 caliber one [smilie=1:...Ray

BOOM BOOM
08-02-2009, 11:07 AM
HI,
I am leaning towards a 180gr. bullet at the moment.

MtGun44
08-02-2009, 06:30 PM
You never said what you were hunting.

Bill

anachronism
08-02-2009, 06:52 PM
You never said what you were hunting.

Bill

Deer. In post #8. But knowing which revolver is being used would help immensely

GP100man
08-02-2009, 07:43 PM
my vote is for358429, a good swc is hard to beat!

GP100man:castmine:

9.3X62AL
08-02-2009, 11:57 PM
Only one deer with the 357 Mag in a handgun, and that one fell to a Speer 146 half-jacket SWC/HP. Went about 10 feet, and piled up. Through-and-through shot, from above and behind left shoulder and out low and in front of right shoulder. 1300 FPS from 586 x 6".

Any of these--homogenous 92/6/2 alloy of #358429 or #358156, or the group buy 180 RNFP or #358430 cast as a softpoint. Full-potential pressure/velocity. Venison or bear medicine.

MtGun44
08-03-2009, 12:25 AM
Any cast with a lg meplat that shoots accurately and weighs at least 158 gr should shoot
thru any deer at full power .357 velocities. Place it properly and you will not have to track
far. Some report the hard cast HPs blow off the front portion and cause havoc plus the
base punches all the way thru. I have only just started learning about HP cast, so have
no personal experience to add on that score.

Bill

BOOM BOOM
08-03-2009, 12:53 AM
HI,
In my early days of reloading (1970's) I did all the book ballistic calculations for muzzle energy & chose the 146 gr. Speer half jacket hollow point as my deer bullet for the 357( still have 200 of those old loads with 2400 sitting on the shelf). I wondered if anyone else would suggest it. I felt it was the best choice back then.

But bullet technology has come a long way since then so I was wondering what was felt to be a better bullet now.

Did some penetration test on a road kill deer with it & at 25ft. it would pass through both shoulders as well as hips & exit the far side.
Also did same test with Lyman 158 gr. Kieth style SWC with same results.

lead Foot
08-03-2009, 05:16 AM
When out shooting feral pigs.I took my Dan Wesson .357 with my new barrel. I wanted to run the barrel in with jackets. I tried a bit every thing Remington, Hornady to Norma. I had 200 rounds to run the barrel in and wasn't to impressed with any. I was thinking of a bigger gun until I tried my RCBS 35-200FN Rounds. They out performed all the Jackets hands down. They are only doing 1150 fps, 50/50 W/W.
Lead foot;

BOOM BOOM
08-03-2009, 08:33 PM
HI,
Unfortunately I was not able to find any of the 146 HJHP Speers or the 158 swc cast from air cooled WW, to see if they expanded.
IFIRC the gun magazines have said the newer bullet designs are much better in expansion.

Echo
08-04-2009, 11:22 AM
My suggestion is to stay away from half-jackets. Too much pure lead in contact with the barrel. I never had good luck trying to shoot them through my BH. Marginal accuracy, and leading issues.

cbrick
08-04-2009, 12:09 PM
HI, This will be mainly for deer, but want it to be up to discouraging a bear if it tried to come in my tent with me. For that matter if a bear tried to take my deer, I would eat him too!:Fire::Fire:

Given this criteria the RCBS 200 gr GCFP with a full load of H-110 would be hard to beat. I used this combination in a FA revolver very effectively on 200 meter steel critters for a few years. Accurate and really smacks'em hard.

Rick

winelover
08-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Given this criteria the RCBS 200 gr GCFP with a full load of H-110 would be hard to beat. I used this combination in a FA revolver very effectively on 200 meter steel critters for a few years. Accurate and really smacks'em hard.

Rick

:confused:Just how does steel critters equate to real flesh and blood critters? I might give a try to the 140 gr Hornady Leverevolution 357 on whitetail deer. Of course, bigger is usually better. The 44 version brought the venison home last fall, no tracking required! My experience with hard cast boolits is they act as solids and will normally pass through deer leaving small enterance and exit wounds! So, sharpen up on your tracking skills!! On second thought, use a bow and arrow and get a better blood trail!!!

Winelover:Fire:

cbrick
08-04-2009, 01:44 PM
:confused:Just how does steel critters equate to real flesh and blood critters? I might give a try to the 140 gr Hornady Leverevolution 357 on whitetail deer. Of course, bigger is usually better. The 44 version brought the venison home last fall, no tracking required! My experience with hard cast boolits is they act as solids and will normally pass through deer leaving small enterance and exit wounds! So, sharpen up on your tracking skills!! On second thought, use a bow and arrow and get a better blood trail!!! Winelover:Fire:

Very simple if you would think about it a bit rather than criticize. Testing this load gives you velocity, bullet weight and velocity at the target gives you momentum. Add in the flat point design and the momentum and it’s a very effective game round. No, it won’t give much expansion on deer or bear but the wider the flat point the larger the entrance AND exit hole and the more blood it let's out. Since I tested and used this on steel does this mean none of this matters?

140 gr. Hornady Leverevolution 357??? Refer to the original post #1 where the question was for pistols and then refer to post #8 where the original poster (Boom Boom) mentioned bears entering his tent; your recommendation is for a 140 gr. anything what-so-ever or a bow and arrow? Read my post where I said “”given this criteria””.

If I am snoozing in my tent and a bear attempts to get in the very last thing I want at that point is a bow and arrow or a 140 gr. bullet out of a handgun. Far superior would be a flat point heavy for caliber medium hard cast bullet whether or not you had the gall to actually shoot steel targets with this bullet.

If you don’t think momentum is important and shooting steel targets is insignificant take your 140 gr. Hornady, set up a 55 pound steel target at 200 meters and try to knock it down with your handgun. Better yet, try it with your bow and arrow.

Rick

BOOM BOOM
08-04-2009, 03:08 PM
HI,
I will most likely NOT take a shot over 50-66yds. Self imposed as I am not as good with my new (bought used last yr.) Redhawk as i was with what is now my wife's Blackhawk.
With that old 1960's Ruger I could ring a steel plate (12" X 17") about 70% of the time w/ open sights at 200yds.
Can not do it now, shorter barrel, older eyes, shaker hands, CRAP! getting old.

cbrick
08-04-2009, 03:18 PM
I didn't intent for my post to sound like I was advocating 200 meter shots on game with the 357, most definately NOT.

Your self imposed 50-66 yards is far more realistic. 100 yards as an absolute maximum with heavy for caliber bullets.

Rick

BOOM BOOM
08-04-2009, 03:36 PM
HI,
Did not think you were advocating 200yd. shots.
Just agreeing with your idea of practice. If you can hit at 200, anything short of 100 gets "fairly " easy in comparison.
Have made 3- 70yd+ 1 shot deer kills w/ 44 Redhawk.
Just want to do it with the 357. But I don"t feel I am as good a shot with the 357 nor does it have much fudge factor, so shot placement is critical.

winelover
08-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Very simple if you would think about it a bit rather than criticize. Testing this load gives you velocity, bullet weight and velocity at the target gives you momentum. Add in the flat point design and the momentum and it’s a very effective game round. No, it won’t give much expansion on deer or bear but the wider the flat point the larger the entrance AND exit hole and the more blood it let's out. Since I tested and used this on steel does this mean none of this matters?

140 gr. Hornady Leverevolution 357??? Refer to the original post #1 where the question was for pistols and then refer to post #8 where the original poster (Boom Boom) mentioned bears entering his tent; your recommendation is for a 140 gr. anything what-so-ever or a bow and arrow? Read my post where I said “”given this criteria””.

If I am snoozing in my tent and a bear attempts to get in the very last thing I want at that point is a bow and arrow or a 140 gr. bullet out of a handgun. Far superior would be a flat point heavy for caliber medium hard cast bullet whether or not you had the gall to actually shoot steel targets with this bullet.

If you don’t think momentum is important and shooting steel targets is insignificant take your 140 gr. Hornady, set up a 55 pound steel target at 200 meters and try to knock it down with your handgun. Better yet, try it with your bow and arrow.

Rick

Momentum means little if all energy is expended on the other side of the animal. I've shot enough deer with WFN cast boolits out of a 44 mag carbine (more velocity than a revolver) to know their effectiveness as well as their short commings. Tracking deer up to 200 yards with little or no blood trail is not desireable trait in a bullet. I'm not saying a cast boolit wont do the job, cause obviously it did, but there are better choices. Namely, one that demonstrates controlled expansion, thus dumping more energy inside the animal than on the other side of it.

If I'm getting these kind of results with a 44 cast bullet, I'd be hesitant to use one in a 357 magnum. That's why I suggested the Leverevolution round. Their not just for Leverguns. Look at the advertisements. I distinctly remember seeing a revolver full in Hornady's ads. The plug aids in expansion not just aerodynamics.

As far as the bow and arrow goes, I get consistantly better blood trails than with non-expanding bullets, no matter what the persuasion---revolver, carbine or centerfire rifles! That's been my real world experience, for what it's worth.

I admit I don't shoot steel targets, their kind of hard to digest. :twisted:

Winelover

anachronism
08-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Here's food for thought: which bullet is more effective on game, assuming total penetration, a .429 cal bullet with a .340 meplat at 1200 fps impact, or a .357 cal bullet with a .340 meplat at 1200 fps impact?

We'll assume identical shot placement, for the sake of arguement. I'm sure we've all heard the tired ond saying that a 22 in the brain beats a 44 in the butt.

cbrick
08-04-2009, 10:05 PM
anachronism,

Could you give us a photo or at least a drawing of this bullet? My evidently limited math ability is having a tough time trying to picture a .340" meplat on a .357" diameter bullet. [smilie=1:

Rick

leadman
08-05-2009, 01:23 AM
Could always cast some softnose boolits from a heavy for caliber flat nose boolit. Best of both worlds.
I have an elk and a deer hunt this year and plan on using soft nose cast RFN boolits.

I shot a cow elk with the Lee 310gr. RFN cast of ACWW, velocity approx. 1,150fps at 10 feet from the muzzle. Hit ribs only on the way to the lungs, elk laid down in about 60 yards. No expansion, 44 in, 44 out. Shot placement is critical no matter what you are shooting.

BOOM BOOM
08-05-2009, 06:17 PM
HI,
Legally in Utah I can use 357 for deer,bear, mountain lion.
Elk requires the 44.
My penetration test at 25' are an unlikely close range shot ( even though I got over penetration). The 50 yd-66yd. shot is more likely. So at that range I might not get the bullet exiting & wasting energy on the hillside.

BOOM BOOM
08-09-2009, 01:23 AM
Hi,
I now shoot a 180gr. gc. SIL. out of a SEACO mold as my standard practice round.
Like it a lot.
Have shot 148gr. wc, 147gr Tc bb, !58 gr Kieth style SWC, 160 gr NEI SWC, in cast.
All were OK but did not satisfy me.

357maximum
08-09-2009, 07:44 AM
I had a little issue last year...I will share it to possibly prevent someone else from having it. I was carrying my stock iron sighted Dan Wesson 357 with me (in reserve) and figured I would use it if an easy shot presented itself. One evening a decent doe got within about 40yds of me so I took aim and did the deed. At the shot she went down onto her chest...spin, spin, spin, push forward a bit...all over....DONE. Well gee I says to self...that worked pretty good.....yeah me.

When I walked over to her after dark my "yeah me" went to "OH MY".......I had used a 358156HP cast of wd'ed range scrap over a pretty stiff charge of 2400.............Please do not do that to anything you intend to eat.

I took her a about 3in farther forward than what I would have liked and absolutely destroyed the far shoulder and messed up the close shoulder more than I would have liked/guessed. This was with a 4IN barrel installed...If I would have had the 6IN or 8IN barrel on and the added FPS that come with the longer barrel...I know I would have had a seriously worse mess, or even worse, a deer requiring another shot due to total boolit failure. I will never use a soft alloy, or unknown alloy HP on deer in any HV iron unless the boolit weighs 300 grains or better from now on. The 358156HP is not an edible game boolit IMHO. I will be carrying 358156, 358429, or some RNFP 180's in it this year...NO HP for me.

I have used the 358315HP in my max quite a few times and everything worked out ok, but........I think that the tiny diameter HP pin, and or the extended distances (slow impact speeds) are the only thing that kept this from happening with that combo. I will be carrying non hp version in the max from now on also.....If I had taken that 40yarder with my max @ 2100fps+ with the 358315HP....I have a bad feeling that I would have been dissapointed. Solid boolits made of waterdropped 50/50 ww/pure for me from now on thank you.

Glen
08-09-2009, 01:07 PM
357maximum -- Was that a .357 Magnum load or a 357 Maximum load? What was the velocity? I have shot a number of critters with the 358156 HP and what you relate would be typical for that bullet at about 1700 fps (from a carbine or from a .357 Maximum revolver). I haven't shot a deer with that bullet from a .357 Magnum revolver, but I have shot a number of jack rabbits, etc. at 1350 fps and controlled expansion has always been the rule of the day.

357maximum
08-09-2009, 03:13 PM
357maximum -- Was that a .357 Magnum load or a 357 Maximum load? What was the velocity? I have shot a number of critters with the 358156 HP and what you relate would be typical for that bullet at about 1700 fps (from a carbine or from a .357 Maximum revolver). I haven't shot a deer with that bullet from a .357 Magnum revolver, but I have shot a number of jack rabbits, etc. at 1350 fps and controlled expansion has always been the rule of the day.

Glen

That was the standard 357mag 4inch barrel set to minimum cylinder gap in my dan wesson model 15, with the old overbook charge of 2400 that used to be fairly famous. [smilie=1: I would say alot of it had to do with the skeletal parts I hit, but seeing as how that happens from time to time..I will stick with the solids from now on. It was one of those instances that open your eyes a bit is all. I have always been able to basically eat up to the boolit hole...I like it better that way, so I will go out of my way to prevent the BLOWUP in the future.

BOOM BOOM
08-10-2009, 12:17 AM
Hi,
So what is the experience of you guys with the 180gr. bullets CAST or JACKED on deer & bear????
I left out other game animals such as elk ect. as they are a bit much for the 357, & our gamey fish dept. has banned them for other big game critters.

Bret4207
08-10-2009, 08:59 AM
The 358429 is around that weight and works good.

9.3X62AL
08-10-2009, 09:22 PM
No large game work with the Group Buy 180 grain round flat nose/gas check from a couple years back. It is accurate as all get out in all of my 357s, and I've pushed it to 1400 FPS in my 7.5" BisHawk. I might get to use it this year in one of the deer zones I hunt in, but the first zone (D-8) is now *CondorSafe*, and the evil lead boolit is even less welcome than black rifles or white male job applicants in that part of California. Don't get me started.

I'll cast some soft-pointed 180s with 70 grain lead noses and 92/6/2 shanks for that venue (Zone D-14). I've discussed with BruceB what percentage of the boolit should be soft lead, and I seem to recall that somewhere between 25% and 35% was the consensus SWAG.

cbrick
08-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Hi,
So what is the experience of you guys with the 180gr. bullets CAST or JACKED on deer & bear????

In an earlier post you mentioned the 357 as a precaution/defense against bears. It may be just me but I wouldn't intentionally go after a bear with a 357 mag . . . period.

If I suddenly found myself in a sudden need of some protection from a bear and all I had was a 357 I’d sure use it but I’d also be looking for a good escape route after I p*ssed him off. A 180 gr. boolit is the absolute lightest I’d want, a 200-220 all the better. Deer are thin skinned critters, bear are critters with an attitude, they are 4 times stronger than you, they can easily out run you and they can completely crush leg bones with a single bite. Just my opinion but a 357 magnum is not a bear gun. It’s only a fair fight if YOU have the overwhelming advantage . . . NOT the bear.

Rick

BOOM BOOM
08-10-2009, 11:20 PM
HI,
I agree that the best gun for bear is a rifle, or at least a 44.
I was in a round about way, making a comment on our Ut. fishy game dept., the rule that it is just fine to use 357 on deer,bear, mountain lion, & maybe I think antelope.
I would think that critters that could eat you should deserve more respect.

vanilla_gorilla
08-11-2009, 12:55 AM
The 358429 is around that weight and works good.

What he said.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/vanilla_gorilla911/casting033.jpg

Bret4207
08-11-2009, 08:07 AM
If you're talking black bear a 357/180 will answer. It's not perfect, but if you know your anatomy it can work.

44man
08-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Cbrick is showing all of you a LOT of knowledge here.
But no matter, the .357 is marginal so you need to listen to experience.
Winelover is showing exactly what I have found with his RIFLE and flat nose boolits, they are too fast, yet not fast enough and work better out of a revolver at lower velocities.
The WLN and WFN hard cast from a revolver is a super deer buster, wiping out lungs but if you go near 1400 fps and above it pokes a hole only.
The .357 is the same. You need penetration without high velocity. A small amount of expansion without losing penetration is even better. Too much and too quick expansion is no good.

BOOM BOOM
08-11-2009, 05:18 PM
hi,
Yes , I meant black bear.
They have shot 5 "Problem" Black bears around Squaw Peak & Provo canyon just this summer since June.
Not too many Grizzlies in Ut.:Fire::Fire:

Stick_man
08-15-2009, 11:21 PM
Boom Boom, what part of Utah are you in? It sounds like you might be pretty near my neck of the woods. I have a 358429 mold if you'd like to try some of them. I haven't cast any up yet, but am fixin' to do so soon.

And yes, the .357 is legal for pronghorn in Utah. The black bear are usually under 400 pounds but there are getting to be so many of them they are becoming a nuisance.

Bret4207
08-16-2009, 08:49 AM
"Problem" black bear are something I'm very familiar with. While I'd prefer a rifle of 35 Rem, 308, or at least 30-30 cal, the 357 can and has solved the problem many, many times. Learn the anatomy, realize they're just dumb brutes looking for food and that most times they'll get away from you ASAP and you'll be alright.

Groo
08-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Groo here
I have had a few talks with JD Jones [SSK] about bullets and there effect on
game.
The best bullet for deer would be a jsp or a hard cast with a fair flat point.
There is not much in a deer to stop a bullet.
The main purpose of an expanding bullet in a handgun is to limit the depth
of the hole[defence], Just remember that when you deform [expand] a bullet
that the energy used is NOT applied to the target,but to the bullet[that is what
expands it] so a cast flat nose may put more energy on target than a jsp
or jhp [try to flatten a jhp jsp or cast bullet in a vice to the size you want it to expand on game and see howmuch ump it takes:roll:]
357 mag will blast through deer with ease but has a small flat and the
impact will be less than larger ones .
My shot on deer is to hit bone to reduce runout and drive through the heart
lung area ,usually the requires a heaver than normal bullet and cast is best.

BOOM BOOM
08-16-2009, 07:12 PM
HI,
IFIRC all the old gun writers preferred a shoulder shot on Bear as well.
The idea was to break it & put the bear down. Then a finishing shot could be used if necessary.
I do not intend to hunt a black bear w/ a 357.
Wife, daughter, & I have 357's, was more concerned w/ having the best bullet if one decided to cuddle up in the tent.
As this is a special case I was looking for any personal experience with the 357 on big game with Jacked or cast.
As the only big game we can hunt here with a 357 is deer,antelope, bear, & cougar I asked about deer, & the in case situation with bear, guess I should have included Codger but did not think of it at the time of the 1st post. Also cougar are easier to kill than bear, as well as less of a problem here in Ut.

Beerd
08-17-2009, 02:54 PM
HI,
................ guess I should have included Codger but did not think of it at the time .................

I hope that's a typo! :-D

O.S.O.K.
08-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Add another...

This one:

http://media.midwayusa.com/highres/766375.jpg

Lyman #358429 170 grain keith boolit.

45r
08-17-2009, 06:12 PM
For me it is my Mtn Mold Ogival Flatpoint 185GC and Hornady 180 XTP.

BOOM BOOM
08-17-2009, 08:19 PM
hi,
Yes a typo, I meant cougar, puma, :Fire::Fire::Fire:
That 170gr. Kieth style SWC by Lyman has a impressive medplat.

nascarkent
08-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Well I just got my one and only mold today,And it happens to be a 385429 four cav. Seems a lot of people like this. Guns it will be used in are a GP 100 and a Marlin 357 lever.

Ratau
08-24-2009, 05:39 PM
I don’t have a 357 Magnum but do use a 357 Herrett TC 12” for hunting Impala, Warthog, Kudu, Blue wildebeest and other game here in South Africa. I load RCBS Sil 180 gr hard cast with a gas check at 2000 fps with great success.

I do have some Hornady single shot pistol bullets in 180 and 200 grain but never hunted with these bullets. Your comments please.

Bret4207
08-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Ratau, welcome!

BOOM BOOM
09-06-2009, 10:55 PM
HI,
I have been at school till after 6pm most every day, setting up ,doing lesson plans for the 2 new math classes I teach. Then most of the rest of my days have been spent putting in insulation, and getting ready for winter.
School computers block everything, personal emails , everything!
Only computer access I have now is when I can get to the public library.
Have tried the Lyman plan base 158 Kieth style swc , & was not satisfied, so sold the mold and got the NEI 160.358GC a 160gr. GC. Kieth style which I shot many yrs. & liked better.
But wanted a better/harder hitter.
I am now using the Seaco357-354 a 180gr. GC. which I like a lot.
I think it might be good on Deer but have not got a chance to find out.
Has anyone tried it out ???????????
I think it would do well on black bear if there was not a rifle handy.

GLynn41
09-07-2009, 09:02 AM
I shot a ton of the 146s often they just blow the nose off at higher impact - and then just sail on -- at a lower impact classic expansion

BOOM BOOM
09-07-2009, 11:23 AM
HI,
Well i liked the 146gr speer. But it is a 30+ yr. old design.
So I thought that with all the research done by the Bullet co. ,FBI, etc. that there would be better hunting bullets on the market now.
I am leaning towards a 180 gr. to match my cast bullet.
That is if noone has any experience with it on game.

part_timer
09-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Ratau

I've never hunted in Africa but I have had good luck with the boolit you are using on deer here in Indiana out of a 357 maximum carbine. I put 2 of them down hard last year and had an exit hole about the size of a nickle.

BOOM BOOM
09-12-2009, 04:59 PM
HI,
Iwill be shooting the bullet out of a Ruger Redhawk 5 &1/2 ", will use 2400 most likely , or possibly WC 820.
I have & like the Seaco cast #354, it is a 180 gr. gc. bullet, my practice load with it is 13grs. of WC 820, which is fairly hot. Do not know what my velocity is but it should be more than 1200'/s.
:Fire::Fire:
I would like a JHP type , other hunting bullet that would shoot to near the same point of aim.
That Lyman 358429 170gr, looks very good , it has a bigger medplat than my current bullet.
The Hornady 180gr. XTP might be just the ticket.......HAS ANYONE USED IT IN GAME?????
If so please let me know your experance with it.
Or any other factory loads, or reloadible 180 gr. J-bullet.
I think Remington makes a 180gr. JHP, has anyone used it on game??????????

Cayoot
09-12-2009, 10:16 PM
Groo here
The main purpose of an expanding bullet in a handgun is to limit the depth
of the hole[defence], Just remember that when you deform [expand] a bullet
that the energy used is NOT applied to the target,but to the bullet[that is what
expands it] so a cast flat nose may put more energy on target than a jsp
or jhp [try to flatten a jhp jsp or cast bullet in a vice to the size you want it to expand on game and see howmuch ump it takes:roll:]

Groo, excellent point! Sometimes we get so into the technical side of things that we forget or ignore basic truths!

Just another reason that I love Cast boolits with big meplats!

leftiye
09-13-2009, 06:46 PM
Excellent point, but maybe a little slanted? The purpose is not to limit penetration, but to transfer more energy/damage to the target animal/ person. Yes damage to the boolit does absorb energy, but did you forget what the boolit expends that energy into in order to deform? (Newton = equal and opposite reaction) Also another purpose of hollowpoints is to make bigger holes (after being expanded the boolit presents a larger face to the medium it is traveling through = bigger hole). Not to mention further increased energy continiung to be depleted into the medium.

BOOM BOOM
09-14-2009, 08:37 PM
HI,
As we know cast bullets tend to penatrate deeper (better) than j-bullets of the same wt.
My concern is that I have had 158gr. Pb cast go all the way through the shoulders, ribs, & even hips of deer at 25yds & less.
When a bullet exits the animal, you are just wasting energy on the hillside.
My 180gr. cast would surely do this, I shoot 99.9% cast, but am a meat hunter & do not want the animal to suffer or chance loosing a wounded animal.
Don't get me wrong I believe cast will do the job, I am just looking for the most effective 357 mag. hunting bullet. I was hoping that you all would post actual expierances with the 357 on game.

GSSP
09-16-2009, 11:06 PM
I would choose an LBT FN design. Weight is up to you but make it at least 160+

20nickels
09-18-2009, 12:35 AM
HI,
As we know cast bullets tend to penatrate deeper (better) than j-bullets of the same wt.
My concern is that I have had 158gr. Pb cast go all the way through the shoulders, ribs, & even hips of deer at 25yds & less.
When a bullet exits the animal, you are just wasting energy on the hillside.
My 180gr. cast would surely do this, I shoot 99.9% cast, but am a meat hunter & do not want the animal to suffer or chance loosing a wounded animal.
Don't get me wrong I believe cast will do the job, I am just looking for the most effective 357 mag. hunting bullet. I was hoping that you all would post actual expierances with the 357 on game.

Perhaps you could softpoint that 158 grainer. I've never done it, maybe someone has experience with this.