PDA

View Full Version : 10 round mag for a S&W 52

jcw1970
07-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Does anyone know if someone out there makes a 10 round clip for the 52? I know there's some guy out there who makes 10 rounders for the 1911 but i don't remember who it is and if they did anything with the 52. 2 five round clips is fine for the slow fire but my league doesn't break down the rapid and timed to 2 5 shot rounds.

BruceB
07-30-2009, 08:13 PM
jcw, amigo;

The geometry won't work. In the five-round mag, the angle of the bottom-most round is obvious and adding more rounds will create an "arc" of cartridges which can't be contained within the existing grip dimensions. It's that pesky rim on the .38 brass which makes the stack arch like that.

The .38 AMU of many years ago was a "rimless .38 Special", for all practical purposes, and it might have been possible to increase a 52's capacity by using such a round.

As it is, you have a gun (me too.... I love it!) which was designed, intended and produced for ONE purpose, which is shooting the centerfire stage of the NRA Bullseye 2700 match. You may as well relax and enjoy it, because making it hold more than five in the mag is going to be a major, major project.....maybe an impossible one, and EXPENSIVE.

I reckon you might's well resign yourself to buying a larger-capacity handgun for your current matches. How about a 952, which is essentially a 9mm Model 52? Just bring money....

Le Loup Solitaire
07-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Hi, I have never heard of anyone making such a Mag; I agree with Bruce B in that the extension of a mag holding additional rounds would upset the positioning of the lower rounds and feeding problems would probably result. The 52 is a delicate and well balanced piece of machinery and as such is capable of the good performance it gives. I've got the M952 and second the recommendation; it is a dream gun as well, but as previously mentioned, they really want to be paid for it. Its direct from S&W's performance shop and hand fitted. Good shooting. LLS

HeavyMetal
07-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Timed and rapid fire are supposed to be 5 round strings. Nobody shoots a wheel gun in your league! Thats the basis for the 5 round strings: revolver fire!

You can argue for a 5 round string, or shoot 5 reload shoot 5 and then go to an alibi for any rounds dropped on the 10 round string, Do that a few times in a few matchs and they may listen when you again suggest 5 round strings of fire!

As to a 10 round mag sorry won't work. Buying a 952? I think they ask about 1900 more than there worth.

Lloyd Smale
07-31-2009, 05:56 AM
Some of my buddys shoot them in ppc and have added one round to make them hold 6 but thats about the best you can do . I had a 952 for a while and wasnt impressed. It was very ammo sensitive. Cast just wasnt the way to go in it. Everything was so tight that a little fouling tied it up and it didnt even run that well when clean. If a guy is shooting nothing but factory jacketed ammo there probably a great gun but i cant afford that. I ended up buying a sti trojan in 9mm. It had a 10 shot clip ran perfectly even with a 8 lb spring and real light cast loads and was actually more accurate then my 952 was.

Boz330
07-31-2009, 09:28 AM
There was a gunsmith here back in the 80s that took the stock mag and extended the slot on the magazine an 1/8' or so to make it accept an extra round for 6 round matches and bowling pins. If I remember correctly the Mag will almost take another round stock and it doesn't take much to get the next one in. I have a 52 but never had a real need to put the extra round in. In fact I haven't fired it in several years, might have to get it out. That is one fine gun.

Bob