PDA

View Full Version : 41 mag bullets from 40 S&W brass

BT Sniper
07-30-2009, 06:33 PM
There is sure a lot to say when it comes to experience. It tooke me a long while to perfect the 44 from the 40 S&W. These 41s took me a couple days. Had to cut down the 40 case as it was to long. Was able to size them down with the core seat die as it had a camfer taper bored into it. I figure thats what it was there for and it worked great. I did learn the difference in case wall thickness with various brands of brass. Also the brass must be totaly annealed, you will find the ones that you did not let get hot enough as they are a B!&@H to size down.

Cut the lengths of the 40 down to .75 and .65 for the two differnt pictured styles. A 38 cal bullet mold in the 140 weights would make around 210 grains and the 158 close to 230 grains with the jackets.

Good shooting,

BT

ANeat
07-30-2009, 09:14 PM
Once again very nice, you get a chance to shoot any yet?

mac0083
07-30-2009, 10:19 PM
those are true beauties. Thanks for the Cross-cut section pictures. Are you using Corbins equipment and dies?

BT Sniper
07-30-2009, 11:55 PM
Ch Tool and dies is what I have. I had to make a few custom internal parts but for the most part they have worked out well at a good price. Not sure I could afford Corbins. Maybe some day I'll pick up one of his brothers presses.

I don't even shoot a 41 only a 44. Had a lot of interest in a good 41 bullet so I put some together. Also picked up some dies for the 308 and 400. Out of CH's inventory of swage dies I only have the .357/355 and 451 left to get. $90 per set is tough to beat minus the interial parts and punches.

Will have some guys testing them out soon and hope to get some good feed back.

Got some more projects to finish up and will post some pics as well.

Good Shooting,

BT

sargenv
07-31-2009, 12:18 AM
I have a 657..... and 40 cal brass... and and and.. I'm just a lil jealous! ;)

scrapcan
07-31-2009, 12:00 PM
BT,

Those look great. That is where I was headed also. And Like you I don't have a 41, yet.

I would be interested in seeing how the 308 dies work out for you.

I ahve been looking at allt he info I can get my hands on for jakcet making dies. it look like you may only need one die and punch to do this and you may be able to do it with only 1 punch if you have a die that will form the intial turn on the tubing. For isntanc eyou may be able to make a tubing punch and use the 357 round nose die to turnt eh tubign and finish the tubing when you seat the core in 40 or 41 core seater.

Good work on your part in the above pictures.

BT Sniper
07-31-2009, 05:19 PM
I do plan on making 41s from cut off brass cases. Basicly the same thing I did with my 44s. I figure any case resized in a 22-250 die will bring the shoulder to .415ish and the neck down to .223 and less when wraped around the base of the bullet in the forming process. Once the jacket is formed and cut off the top of the 22-250 case it can be finished up in one stroke in the core seat die.

I resized my 44s made from the cutoff top of 06 brass down to the .410 and they look pretty good. I'll have to get a pic of them too.