PDA

View Full Version : 38's in a 357 max encore.

part_timer
07-30-2009, 04:25 PM
My daughter just received her 20" stainless 357 max bbl. (contender) from fox ridge outfitters on Tuesday. We tried using the lead loads that I shoot out of my encore max and they wouldn't even hit a milk jug at 30 yards. We went into the shop and made a few jacketed and put them over 26gr of reloader7 and the results were pretty good.

Well we decided to see what would happen if we shot 38's out of it. I had several boxes of 158gr swc's laying around that we were shooting out of the 1894 so what the heck. The results, well they were flat amazing. we had 3 shot groups all touching each other at 30 yards with iron sights. I was amazed, I never figured that with the LONG "TC" chambering that a 38 would hit the broad side of a barn much less actually group.

I seem to remember someone asking if anyone had ever tried this before. Well now we have. I figure that those little 38's would make a great load for rabbits. I'm going to try some heavy boolits out of it next time.

Ben
07-30-2009, 08:44 PM
I think your results are what makes the shooting sports such an amazing hobby.

Your logic tells you not to expect much from the 38 Spec. with the long jump to the rifling, but........................the paper, down range, says something quite different than our logic had pre-predicted.

Ben

leadman
07-31-2009, 05:38 PM
Having the 38s shoot so well out of a Max barrel is really good for you. Now you can go from rabbit to deer or bear with the same barrel.

stubshaft
07-31-2009, 06:40 PM
Having the 38s shoot so well out of a Max barrel is really good for you. Now you can go from rabbit to deer or bear with the same barrel.

Just remember which load is in the tube.

shooterman
07-31-2009, 07:00 PM
i have lately been thinking about this very idea for a summer gun. during the summer, even with cast, after 20 shots i have to stop shooting because of barrel overheating. i figured that a max barrel for my encore would allow me to shoot 38 for offhand practice without the hot barrel problems. i was curious about how accurate a 38 would shoot or if i should just attempt a 38 equivalent with a max case. it is nice to know that i'm on the right track.

part_timer
08-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Taylor is having a ball with the new bbl. We were shooting 357 mag's out of it yesterday. Still haven't set down in the shop to make specific loads just shooting what is in the ammo can.
I'm going to go down and get a scope mount for it this afternoon. I have a 2.5 power setting around doing nothing and I think it will work pretty good. Taylor passed her hunters ed course Saturday so now she can get a licence to deer hunt with us this fall.

LET THE FUN BEGIN!!!!!!!!

NoZombies
08-02-2009, 02:10 PM
Congrats man, sounds like you guys are having a ball!

lathesmith
08-02-2009, 08:31 PM
The max is a terrific chambering, and its versatility is what helps make it so. I have a 357 mag Contender SS barrel, it shoots tiny groups with both full power 357's and 38 wadcutters. Very quiet too! I use a 358430 200 grainer over a few grains of bullseye, it thumps hard and don't make much noise. You might not think a mag barrel would shoot specials very well, let alone a Max barrel, but many times they perform well beyond expectations.
As a final note, I have a 460 mag barrel for my Encore, and for grins I tried some 255 grain 45 Colts in this barrel. I was thrilled to see cloverleafs on the 25 yard target, what a versitile combination! Like a 357 max on steriods!What's not to like about that?!
lathesmith

357maximum
08-02-2009, 09:18 PM
I am glad to see the 38's working for you....you are heaving better luck with it than I did by the sound of it. Just remember to brush the chamber after shooting short brass and before firing fullhouse 357max..........I have a very[smilie=b: very slight ring in my encores chamber from doing that....it hurts nothing, but it is there and it is my fault....and I know it is there........errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr dummmy. [smilie=b:[smilie=b:

lathesmith
08-03-2009, 05:18 PM
357max reminds us of a good point here(you think maybe he likes that caliber?!). While versatility is one of the max's great assets, DON'T mix Max shells and 38's in the same shooting session unless you have cleaned the chamber first. This goes for any firearm that can use shorter brass--don't shoot the long stuff until you have cleaned up after the short stuff, it's that simple. End of rant....
lathesmith

part_timer
08-04-2009, 09:54 PM
oops!!!! I'll have to check and see.

tred1956
08-06-2009, 07:10 PM
I have been thinking of a short barrel for my Contender for plinking. Say 8 inches. WOW a 357 Max may fill the bill.

Safe shooting
Doug

part_timer
09-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Well Taylor and I started getting her Max ready fro deer season today. No 38's but we are working on a 358627 over 17gr of H110 in max cases. This load is running groups of 1 1/4" at 50 yards.
It is a bit stout for her but she's a trooper and says that she wants to keep working with them. I'm thinking of dropping her down to a 358315 in a hp in a 357 magnum. Id rather her concentrate on sight alignment rather than recoil. We'll see what happens.

More to come as the week progresses