PDA

View Full Version : Lee 452-200 SWC Issue

will-mo
07-30-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm new to casting. I had be purchasing 200g SWC from various places. I ordered the Lee becuase the price was right, its a 6 cavity and the reviews on MIDWAYUSA indicated its a good mold.

The bullets cast and drop great, but the bullet design isn't like the other 200g SWC bullets I purchased. The Lee bullets are kinda miniature compared to a H&G #68. They are also causing some feed problems in my pistol that I didn't have before. The bullets are dropping out at 192g or so. I'm using 18# WW and 2# 50/50

The description from others about this mold are that its a close copy of the H&G #68, but I don't think its very close at all.

Can someone tell me if I expect too much... Anyone have a similar issue..?

Thanks,
Will

mtgrs737
07-30-2009, 02:58 PM
I had two 6 cavity Lee 45 cal. 200gr. SWC moulds and both had to be loaded so the shoulder was flush with the case mouth to have a chance at feeding in my 1911's. My nethew had the same problem in his Kimber. The nose is a little longer than my other H&G 68 or Saeco #69 moulds which also have a slightly larger and more rounded meplat. I would suggest the Saeco #69 mould or one of the H&G 68 copies on the Group Buy forum. Seat the Lee so the shoulder is flush with the case mouth and be very picky about the taper crimp and it should feed better in a throated gun. My H&G copies and Saeco #69 feed 100% with about .010" of the shoulder forward of the case mouth. Good luck!

will-mo
07-30-2009, 03:11 PM
The true H&G #68/69 I keep at around 1.250 oal. I gotta stretch the Lee's to 1.260 or I get a mess of jams from various mags. My taper crimp is .469. The H&G 68 feed 100%, no issues.

I'll probably go with the group buy when they start it up again.

Will

putteral
07-30-2009, 03:44 PM
I have the same mold . Mine also drops at the same weight. I load it to 1.262 Oal to feed in my .45's. At that length I have no problem feeding. Just experiment and you will get them to work fine.

trickyasafox
07-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Your not crazy Will-mo

its NOT a HG 68 copy, if it is, its not very close. However, with a little tinkering they run well in my 1911. You sound like you already have it figured out by loading it over 1.26. I also find that the Lee SWC is far more mag sensitive than the HG 68 SWC. Might be something else you can play with.

will-mo
07-30-2009, 04:32 PM
trickyasafox, yep I got it figured out with the mags too. I'm glad to see I'm on the same path as others. They work ok from my CM Powermags, but they puk in my Checkmate mags..

My gunsmith doesn't like them at all. he suggests getting a new mold. I think I might.

Cloudpeak
07-30-2009, 06:44 PM
I gave up on both of the Lee 200 SWC designs due to occasional FTF problems with both of my Springfield's. I bought the Lyman 4 cavity 452630 200 gr SWC and they've been 100%. Neither of the Lee bullets are close in design to the H&G 68 but the Lyman is.

The bullet on the left is a Penns 200gr SWC which is very similar to the H&G and the Lyman. The bullet on the right is a Lee 200gr SWC.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/WyoBob/Guns/DSCN1441.jpg

jonk
07-30-2009, 09:10 PM
I found I had to seat them just UNDER the case mouth. Leaves a little brass ring in other words. Looks strange but now feeds 100%.

snaggdit
07-30-2009, 09:28 PM
OK, let me get these posts straight. I have the Lee 6 cav SWC mold. No issues in my Hi Point. However, a buddy I load for has a 1911. Every now and then he will have feeding issues with this boolit. I have just been giving him 200gr RF instead.

Now, it sounds like there are two camps weighing in here. Some load with the shoulder of the boolit level with the end of the case and have eliminated feed issues. Others have loaded them out max OAL and that also solves the issues. Just checked my cheat sheet. I have been loading mine at 1.190, and the shoulder of the boolit is just outside the case. Sounds like I should try them out farther.

Lloyd Smale
07-31-2009, 05:44 AM
I prefer the h&g but have had good luck with that bullet too. My buddy has used that bullet in competition for years and pretty much kicks my but. Like was said if you have feeding problems try different seating depts. Most of my 1911s run best with the bullet seated deap and when using harder alloys that dont tend to drag as much on the feed ramp.