PDA

View Full Version : Reading Handloader's Digest - Vol. 1 thru ~XiV~?

Texasflyboy
07-30-2009, 08:30 AM
Anyone besides me ever read Handloader's Digest Volume 1 thru the last editions in the 1990's (14? 15?).

I found mine on eBay in the mid 90's. Took a long time to find a copy of Volume 1, but the wait was worth it for the whole set, which took a year or two to accumulate.

I recently re-read the entire series and it's amazing the variety of equipment that was for sale for reloading and how popular it must have been. A lot of names that everyone would recognize with some great articles.

It's a joy to go through these again and see all the info inside.

Rocky Raab
07-30-2009, 08:35 AM
I used to write for it and was sorely disappointed when it stopped. I have only a half-dozen or so issues on my shelf, but do have a very early one or two. It's most amusing how things change, including writing styles.

Pepe Ray
07-30-2009, 11:05 AM
I'm missing Vol. 2 & 3. Hint?
Pepe Ray

Rocky Raab
07-30-2009, 11:48 AM
Hint taken - but my earliest is the 5th Anniversary edition.

Pepe Ray
07-30-2009, 04:22 PM
I actually didn't think there'd be any treasures falling out of the sky. I've read some of your stuff rocky. Enjoyed it a lot. Yhanks for that.
Is there an index somewhere that we can see what we're missing? Is there anything I can scan for ya?
Pepe Ray

Bent Ramrod
07-30-2009, 09:50 PM
Handloaders' Digest goes up to the 18th Edition so far. There are indices for both it and the Gun Digest in the various Gun Digest Treasuries. Very even handed treatment of subject matter in those volumes: hunting loads, target loads, cast loads and casting, swaged loads and swaging, tools and their use, historical stuff and of course the catalog section with what you could buy in the good old days at the good old prices (if you can forget that the minimum wage was $1.35 back then). Something for everyone, including (now) nostalgia freaks.

jim4065
07-30-2009, 09:58 PM
Hmmm. Had to buy duplicates of some of these in order to get the complete set. Think I'll sell off the extras - thanks guys!

Rocky Raab
07-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Be sure to charge double for the ones with my articles in them (snicker, snicker).