PDA

View Full Version : Lee handles and lyman molds

rsg3
03-27-2006, 11:51 AM
Hello i just bought a set of lee mold handles and Lyman mold. The handles fit, but the mold pivots back and forth , is this play alright . or should the molds fit tight in the handles. I'm new to casting so i'm not sure how these should fit. The reason i got lee handles is because i'm poor and the lee handles are cheap and several people rated the lee handles as working good w/ lyman molds on Midway's sight.

SharpsShooter
03-27-2006, 12:14 PM
You will be fine with Lee handles on a Lyman Mould. They also work well with RCBS moulds, but require a slight bit of fitting in order to mount the blocks to the handle tongs. The pivot play is normal for the most part, as Lyman handles exibit the same behavior.

rsg3
03-27-2006, 12:39 PM
Hey thanks for your help, what part of west virginia are you from ? I am from fairmont but i am currently stationed at ft riley, kansas for the time being, its always nice to talk to someone from home. thanks again

SharpsShooter
03-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Hey thanks for your help, what part of west virginia are you from ? I am from fairmont but i am currently stationed at ft riley, kansas for the time being, its always nice to talk to someone from home. thanks again

I'm from Greenbrier County on the south-eastern corner of the state. By the way, welcome to the board. There is a wealth of knowledge here with respect to cast boolits. You will find that most members are helpful and are always glad to add another cast boolit shooter to the ranks.

What caliber of cast boolit are you working on?

:coffee:

rsg3
03-27-2006, 02:33 PM
Right now i'm working on some bullets for my 44 mag. I just got a set of Lyman 245 gr swc molds. When i get out of the army this fall and get back to West Virginia i hope to try some handgun hunting for deer and hopefully bear. Thanks again for your help

KTN
03-27-2006, 03:07 PM
Like SharpsShooter said,some pivot play is normal.Check that mold halves line up properly,when you close the mold.If there is too much play,you can fix it by shimming.Mold halves doesn´t need to pivot much,1/8" is enough.And as always,close your mold carefully.Have fun.

Kaj

Cherokee
03-27-2006, 03:34 PM
rsg3 - I was stationed at Ft Riley years 1967-1968. Guess things have changed there now. We were up on Custer Hill. There was an old gravel pit off post that I shot at all the time. Couldn't use any of the post ranges except for qualifications.

On the fit question, best to shim if there is much play so you don't beat up the alignment pins with their holes.