PDA

View Full Version : Midway Price increases?

mtgrs737
07-29-2009, 03:12 PM
I don't know if this is the proper place for this or not, but I just got my Midway sales flyer and it apears that Midway has increased a lot of their prices. Could this be that inflationary period that comes right after an preceived up-turn in the economy? Maybe I'm just out of touch with prices or something. Anyone else notice these price increases?

Baron von Trollwhack
07-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Vendor price increases seem to me to be the easily noticeable rule for well over a year. Just as the earlier base metals and petroleum jumps impacting shooting sports leveled or declined a little, the obozo effect started and of course is still alive and well.

Unsure of obozo's destructive strength, primer manufacturers, for example, did not add 25 more production lines, just went to 24/7, and of course primers cost little more now from reputable sources than they did after the base metals price jumps. But they are not adding capacity either. If gun owners get screwed, manufacturers do too.

Of course, walking blindly into the bazaar, gets you mugged.

BvT

pdawg_shooter
07-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Have you looked at the prices in the supermarket yet? EVERYTHING is up except wages!

leadman
07-30-2009, 12:16 AM
Recieved my Midway flyer also.
7mm Rem Magnum 100 empty cases, $64.99 !! I won't pay that much for loaded ammo.
Hornady 17M2, $7.99 !
All the metal prices are down , fuel is down from the peak, why the huge increases now?
Last week scrap aluminum was 38 cents a pound, copper and brass were both about $1.35 a pound. Last July aluminum was 85 cents, copper and brass were over $4.

dale2242
07-30-2009, 08:08 AM
Has anyone else noticed less sale items in the fliers lately?---dale

Heavy lead
07-30-2009, 08:19 AM
7mm Rem Magnum 100 empty cases, $64.99 !! I won't pay that much for loaded ammo.
Hornady 17M2, $7.99 !
All the metal prices are down , fuel is down from the peak, why the huge increases now?
Last week scrap aluminum was 38 cents a pound, copper and brass were both about $1.35 a pound. Last July aluminum was 85 cents, copper and brass were over $4.

But you are basing your pricing on a baseline of $.70 copper or less back in the good ole days, those days are over with the rest of the world joining the 21st century. It's still cheap, worst case scenario if proper sizing and brass care is heeded and the brass lasts only 5 rounds that is $.13 a round for brass per load. Last time I checked new ammunition for 7 mag is $1.50 for the cheap stuff.

44man
07-30-2009, 08:46 AM
Yes, prices keep going up but also remember that Midway reduced shipping and handling charges so they jacked up prices so there is no loss.
Like trading in a car, they give you $2000 and sneak in $3000 to the price of a new one.

BD
07-30-2009, 09:42 AM
There may be some issues with this latest flyer. I noticed that Hornady .450 Bushmaster brass is listed as 39.99/20, (usually comes in boxes of 50 for 39.99), while Hornady loaded ammo for the .450B is 29.99/20.

I'm not understanding the continued increase in loaded ammo prices, as the metal markets have been down since last fall. I think it's more of "what the market will bear" in a time of increased demand.
BD

mike in co
07-30-2009, 10:23 AM
as far as commonent prices, remember the market price may have gone down last year, but inventory still has to be sold...and that inventory was at the old ( high)prices. the recovery from the increase in prices should work thru inventories this year, but yes the increase in demand, may slow that process.
you think 7mm rem mag brass is expensive ?? try buying 300 win mag brass...i don't mean "posted" prices...try finding any to buy.

mike in co

leadman
07-30-2009, 04:16 PM
I guess I won't shoot the Encore Prohunter in 7 mag. The frame and barrel lock-up allow for alot of brass stretching, even with less than max. charges. Lucky to get 3 loadings out of new brass that is first fireformed with Unique and Cream of Wheat. Headspaced off the shoulder to .001" clearance between the breech face and case.
The 270 Win. and 243 Win. barrel don't have this problem.

dave slavage
07-30-2009, 04:32 PM
nope they went to flat rate shipping they need to get them coins back that they lost with ther over priced shipping charges lol

August
07-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Has anyone else noticed less sale items in the fliers lately?---dale

Yup. For the past two months. I'm about to relegate their flyer to throw-it-before-reading, junk mail status.

Too, bad. I used to look forward to that thing.

07-30-2009, 05:47 PM
Midway seems to be going backwards. First they had a seperate dealer catalogue along with a monthly hard-copy sales flyer. Next they eliminated the hard-copy flyer. Then they relegated dealer pricing pages to the back of their retail catalogue. Now, they don't have a dealer catalogue and you have to get dealer pricing off their glacially slow web-site. I no longer open their E-Blast mailings and only look at the sale page, in the monthly dealer flyer.

My last three purchases have been from Midsouth. Their prices are generally lower than Midway's (at least not significantly higher) and their web-site runs at a fast speed. Factoring in Midway's reduced shipping charge, my last order from Midsouth was only 6-cents more than if I'd bought from Midway.

Having spent over 30-years in commissioned retail sales, I'm not unfamiliar with customer service. Since Midway's dealer pricing is no different than Midsouth's regular pricing, and their website drives me to frustration, I don't see where they excell at taking care of their customers -- not like they used to, anyway. A low price is not my first priority, when it comes to buying an item. Customer service and satisfaction, and convenience rank higher. I no longer buy from Grafs and Son because of a customer service issue that, with much arrogance, they refused to address.

Sales is an extremely competitive business -- Midway has lost whatever edge they had and they need to regroup. Perhaps that's why they adopted Priority Mail shipping...

Sprue
07-30-2009, 06:07 PM
The wife placed a couple orders via her own (new) account on my behalf (xmas presents) two years ago, so now we get two Fliers. They go from the PO Box straight into the PO's trash can.

Not to say that I don't order from them (ordered twice this month) but their Fliers on the other hand never make it home.... They could recoupe, or save some $$$ by giving the Online account owners the option to take the mailings or not.

As for their Sale Items, when they are "on sale" they are still usually a few pennies higher in price as opposed to other stores regular pricing on things. They are still my main supplier cause I do like to receive my Order within a couple days.

It almost came to me leaving Midway for good over the last two Orders placed, turned out the issues was not their fault after all... but thats another thread (dang postal clerk).

All in all though, I prefer to support the locals when possible.

Bill*
07-30-2009, 06:26 PM
Quote from Sprue...."As for their Sale Items, when they are "on sale" they are still usually a few pennies higher in price as opposed to other stores regular pricing on things."

I've been saying that exact thing about Sears for decades......Bill

Ole
07-30-2009, 06:50 PM
This is why i've always stocked up when buying components. They never ever seem to get cheaper. Plus if you order 2x what you need, you effectively cut your shipping costs in half. :drinks:

BruceB
07-30-2009, 08:37 PM
As in most things, there are both positives and negatives in dealing with anyone.

Even an ol' guy like me can learn to use available resources, and so it proved with my latest Midway order, placed on Monday.

To minimize lost time and customer unhappiness, I check the availability of the items I want on the Internet. Especially in times of shortage such we have now, I found two types of j(cuss word) bullets that ARE available, and ordered a thousand of each. Same with a few other items, and my entire order was shipped the same day and should be here in Nevada tomorrow.

I hear complaints on shipping costs from Midway, but my transport charge came to $31 on a $500 order. I consider that to be reasonable.

Prices? 1000 Hornady .22-caliber V-Max 55s cost me less than $14 per hundred, and they were AVAILABLE. I see plenty of prices advertised, but in most cases the stuff is NOT available. It's blessedly easy to advertise low prices for things that aren't in stock.

Now, I want to establish a reasonable stash of ONE versatile mid-speed rifle powder, like something in the 4895 range. I see Wideners has surplus RG 4895 at $108 per eight pounds, but some new-production stuff isn't much more IF WE CAN FIND IT. Single-base powder is preferred for my cast-bullet work. I'm thinking that about 32 pounds-on-hand would let me sleep better....

Storydude
07-30-2009, 08:40 PM
Hornady 17M2, $7.99 !

And the stuff you are buying today was made with the stuff costing 4.00 a Lb.

today's prices won;t factor in for 6-10 months.

BruceB
07-30-2009, 09:05 PM
It's now three minutes past the hour.

I submitted my last post 26 minutes ago. In the interim, I tripped over my Midway shipment at the front door, carried it (39 pounds) to my shed, and unpacked it, finding everything present and as-ordered. Four days' time lapse is damned good from Midway to here.

Happy camper.

threett1
07-30-2009, 09:26 PM
They might have a new shipping program, but those of us that are in state with them still get hammered by sales tax. And my order of a few weeks ago had sales tax figured on the shipping too. Yup, Larry is a great guy.

Lee
07-31-2009, 12:17 AM
Gotta watch for the bargains. Gotta wait for the bargains. Almost everything they sell goes on sale SOMETIME during the year, and on sale, their prices are usually pretty good.

Gotta watch the slick catalog sales pitch. Want to get sucked in fast? Just check out a Sportsmans Guide, published by the Greedy One. Slick looking, got it's share of tempting typos, just makes ya drool looking at all them 4-color pages. The snake took me several years ago on his dishonest "heavy/bulky" shipping charges, to the tune of $30. That's the cheapest mistake that jerk ever made. Got no satisfaction from any of the weasels with my complaint. Now, I wouldn't wee on a flat rock if I found the Great One dying from thirst in the Sahara.

Midway, Midsouth, Natchezz, Cabelas, and several more I can't recall at the moment all get my business. As advertised, delivered for the price I expected, courteous service. They will continue to get my business until they pull a "Sportsmans Guide" on me........................

9.3X62AL
07-31-2009, 01:17 AM
Sportsman's Guide "Greedy One"/"Great One"--not Wayne Gretzky, I hope.

leadman
07-31-2009, 01:41 PM
I've ordered stuff from the "Sportsman's Guide". Got a tent with the corner seams repaired with hand sewing. This was supposed to be a 3 season tent capable of withstanding high winds. Might have if the material hadn't ripped trying to put the poles in the corners.
They started to give me a hassle, so I told them it was on my credit card, so I will just contact the CC company. Finally they paid for return shipping and got a credit.

jameslovesjammie
07-31-2009, 05:44 PM
I've ordered from Sportsman's Guide before. I got a pair of boots that the seams ripped on in four days. I sent them back on my dollar and they replaced them. The replacement pair lasted two weeks then went in the garbage for the same reason.

When people start talking over priced, I immediately think of Cableas. Overpriced on the items and overpriced on the shipping. WAY overpriced on any gun they think is "collectible" or "rare." I used to get everything from them, now nothing.

The reason I buy from Midway is that they have the biggest selection of products and their website is easy to use. If you are having speed problems there, turn off your anti-virus software. That is what makes mine slow there. When you go to check out turn it back on and you're good to go!

07-31-2009, 05:57 PM
James, Midway is the only site that I have a speed problem with, so I don't think it's on my end. Also, a few months back, I e-mailed Larry Potterfield about it and he replied that they are aware of the problem and are working on it. Anyone else experiencing a speed problem?

captain-03
07-31-2009, 11:00 PM
James, Midway is the only site that I have a speed problem with, so I don't think it's on my end. Also, a few months back, I e-mailed Larry Potterfield about it and he replied that they are aware of the problem and are working on it. Anyone else experiencing a speed problem?

Yes - hardly never in the early to midmoring timeframe; however, early to late evening, it is slow, slow, slow!

I order from Midway often - it is usually because they have what I am looking for. I did place an order with MidSouth last night because their prices were considerably cheaper than Midways on the items I needed.

leadman
08-01-2009, 02:11 PM
I have an April 09 Midway sale flyer. The Rem 7mm Rem mag. brass is $49.49 per 100. The latest August 09 price is $64.99 per 100.

This an increase of $15.50. Roughly a 30% increase.

Lee
08-04-2009, 01:02 AM
I agree Cabelas is one of the highest cost out there. You got to watch for the true values with them, then they are OK.

9.3X62AL.... nope look at the Chief Weasel's name..... I can only dream he'd show up some day in my driveway seeking directions..............

Midway? Lets see, I ordered Thursday night. It got here Monday in the mail. I am not sure how they manage to do that, and at the prices they advertise. Like the rest, tho, you have to comparison shop.........Lee