PDA

View Full Version : Cow Buffalo with Cast

BABore
03-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Finally got a cast bullet kill with my own bullets. Shot a 950 lb buffalo cow, at 50 yards, with my 480 Ruger SRH. Used a 400 gr GC bullet at 1,250 fps. It was OHT'ed to 28 Bhn. The shot was slightly quartering forward, so I had to break the shoulder to get to the heart. She was getting a bit nervous as my buddy had just downed her friend with his 280 Remington.

The bullet broke the heavy shoulder bone and passed between the 2nd and 3rd ribs. It removed all of the arteries from the top of the heart and then broke the
5th offside rib. It deflected rearwards along the rib cage tearing the bottom out of the lung then exited behind the last rib. The bullet just cut the skin and was found stuck in it.

I measured the penetration at 36 inches. The bullet was without GC and had no lube on it. It weighed 386 grains. The as cast bullets weigh 391 grains before GCing and lubing so I lost 5 grains of Lead for roughly 99% weight retention.

The cow hunched up pretty good at the hit, wheeled around, and ran 3 legged for about 10 yards. She piled up and stayed put.

swheeler
03-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Good Job! Now you will have some good eatin' meat until Fall hunting season.