PDA

View Full Version : Just getting starting

primerless
07-28-2009, 11:41 PM
I have been reloading for about 14 years, but have never tried casting. I just received most of all I need to get sarted, but forgot to get the book.

I have read on this site about using wheel weight but did not get the recipe. I seperated the weight that had the clips on them from the ones that are flat and have the sticky stuff on them. I also have about two hundred pounds of lead that was from an old sail boat.

I melted all of the lead seperate and pured into cast iron cornbread pan. The flat wheel weight seemed to be the softer followed by the weight with clips and then the lead from the keel.

I will be loading 9mm and 45apc any good recipe's for the lead listed above.

AZ-Stew
07-29-2009, 12:17 AM
Welcome aboard!

If you're shooting Glocks with the poligonal rifling, start with a replacement barrel with standard rifling.

For your cast boolits, start with the clip-on wheel weights. If you get leading with moderate loads, try dropping the boolits from the mould into a 5-galon bucket full of cold water, but keep the bucket some distance away from the casting pot so you don't splash water into the pot. You'll get a steam explosion that will coat everything in the vicinity with hot lead. Your water-quenched boolits should be hard enough after several days aging to work well in your pistolas.

I'm not a boat builder, but I'd expect your sailboat keel weight is close to pure lead. If you can find someone in your area (you didn't list it) with a hardness tester, check some of it. I'll bet it's close to the stick-ons in hardness. If so, see if you can swap it to a muzzle loader shooter for some clip-ons, or see if you can find some linotype to alloy with it to harden it up a bit.

Good luck,

Stew