PDA

View Full Version : Vetterli bullet

abunaitoo
07-28-2009, 04:07 AM
I have a Lee mould for 45-70. It's just about what I'm looking for in a Vetterli bullet.
Any thoughts on sizing the 45-70/459di to Vetterli 432di??????

mag44uk
07-28-2009, 04:49 AM
Thats quite a squeeze!
Why not buy the Lee 44 310gn mould?
That should work well.
I take it you have slugged the bore?
HTH
Tony

Andy_P
07-28-2009, 07:39 AM
If you'd used the search facility you would have found a huge thread that covers bullet and other issues with the Swiss Vetterli: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=21917

I have found you can generally only size down cast bullets about 8 thou before they lose too much of their lube grooves.

Freightman
07-28-2009, 09:02 AM
The LEE 310gr is a good boolit and easy to make the right length to feed through the tube, also the 300 Rannch Dog Boolit works just as well. If you want to shoot it as a single shot the 240gr Lee RN is very accurate. If you size the boolit down that much you will basicaly have a lead cylinder with very little in the way of lube. Let us know how it does.

abunaitoo
07-28-2009, 03:23 PM
I've tried the Lee310.
To much of a flat point to feed from the magazine.
Using a Lyman 429650 now.
It also hangs up sometimes.
Saeco #433 worked good.
I'm looking for something with a round nose plane base, 300gr.

Spector
07-28-2009, 11:55 PM
I don't understand how a flat nose can prevent the cartridge from feeding from the magazine. The bullet follows the case onto the elevator from the tubular magazine and it feeds rim first onto the elevator. The cartridge lays in the elevator and is lined up with the chamber when it is in the up position. If your overall cartridge length is off then it will jam the elevator as it tries to rise regardless of whether you use a round nose or FP bullet. Measure the length of the elevator and match the overall cartridge length to that and it will feed fine.

I just neck size my cases and the FP Lee 310 did try to hang up when I shoved them through the loading port onto the elevator. I removed a tiny amount of steel from the inside of the elevator on the left side. I then polished the area and it loads the FP bullets easily now.

I believe the situation you are describing is totally related to overall cartridge length. When you get that worked out you will smile when you see how easily the elevator travels between the magazine and the chamber.

I use a Lee 7.62x39 seating die to crimp my 10.4x42 brass. My chamber allows me to easily use the extra long brass, though chambers do vary some from Veterli to Veterli.

I get no leading, but want to try some paper patched. I have some bullets I cast from a Lee group buy mold, but have not tried them yet.......Mike

abunaitoo
07-29-2009, 06:11 AM
I had to experiment with the cartridge length to get it to work through the magazine.
Length is not the problem.
The flat of the Lee 310 bullet nose is to wide for my Vetterli.
Unless I go slow it catches on the edge of the barrel chamber.
I experimented by rounding the head of the Lee bullet to almost a round nose.
It fed like a champ. Smooth. No matter how fast I worked the bolt.
With the modified Lee bullet, the weight is down to about 260gr.
Little to light for my liking.
The Lyamn 429650 has a slight ridge that will hang up if I work the bolt to fast.
I'm not really sure, but the Seaco #433 is close in shape to what a original bullet is.
Probably why it works the best as cast.