PDA

View Full Version : Needle gun

abunaitoo
07-28-2009, 03:56 AM
Anyone ever load for a Needle gun????
Not really paper patch, but paper cartridge.
Know of a web site that shows how it's done???

StrawHat
07-28-2009, 05:51 AM
The Springfield Trapdoor has been referred to as a needle gun as has a bolt action who's model and manufacturer has slipped out of my memory. So have a lot of the sub 22 caliber rifles.

For which "needle gun" are you loading?

1874Sharps
07-28-2009, 12:52 PM
I have not loaded or owned a needle gun such as the ones cited in the title, but have read on them on the net. I did own a Chassepot that had been arsenal converted to metallic cartridge. The needle gun cartridge can be made by taking nitrated paper and rolling it around a dowel of proper diameter with the bullet on the other end of the wrap with the primer at the base of the bullet. The process involved did not look to easy to me and the system in general is a bit faulty. You may want to check the gas seal on your rifle's bolt carefully. The Chassepot used a hard rubber seal that would wear out regularly and deteriorate over the decades as well. I have dreamed about getting an old needle gun as well and trying it out and maybe I will run into one some day and get it!

abunaitoo
07-28-2009, 03:34 PM
I'm looking for one.
Kind of interesting.
I like these old rifles.
This would kind of be like the link between paper and metal case cartridge.

Anyone know of a web site that shows how to make a cartridge???
I remember seeing one once.
Thought I saved it, but now I can't find it.
Old age is catching up.

dominicfortune00
07-28-2009, 08:45 PM
IIRC, the Dreyse was a needle gun also.

ambergrifleman
08-04-2009, 10:57 PM
I just bought a French Chassepot a few months Back, Soon I will have it up and Shooting again after about 130 Years. There is some Threads on Gunboards about making paper cartridges.

shotman
08-05-2009, 03:00 AM
amber you dont get on much. 3 post since 2006

303Guy
08-05-2009, 03:38 AM
ambergrifleman, do you have pictures we could see?

Fabian23
08-05-2009, 05:48 AM
Hi,

I reload for both the Chassepot rifle and Dreyse rifle. Time consuming but good fun!