View Full Version : Needle gun

abunaitoo
07-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Anyone ever load for a Needle gun????

357Mag
07-27-2009, 09:31 PM
Abunaitoo -

Howdy !

You might want to ask the paper-patch boys.

From memory ( based on a needle gun article I read a while back ), the needle has to penetrate well into the powder; and hit the percusion cup ( primer ) positioned near the top of the powder charge. The needle's propulsion spring would have to have sufficient oomph to send it through the paper " casing ".

This reminds of the newer Dr. Palmisano idea... to route primer flash well fwd into the powder charge, by means of a small hollow tube running up the center of the case.

" There's no new thing....."

Regards,
.357Mag

" Don't exaggerate ! ...... " I've told you a THOUSAND times !! "

NickSS
07-28-2009, 04:49 AM
There are two needle guns that I know of the German Dryse which has a needle that is long and must penetrate the powder charge to hit a primer at the base of the projectile. And the French Chasepot that had a felt washer and primer at the base of the cartridge. I read an article about making cartridges for the Dryse needle gun and it was quite complicated as the primer had to be fixed at a point that the needle wound hit it. As I recall the original cartridges had a Sabot with the primer fitted in the base of the sabot with an egg shaped bullet in a cup on the other end.

abunaitoo
07-28-2009, 03:37 PM
I don't have one, YET.
Just want to see how much work it would be to shoot one.

waksupi
07-28-2009, 07:19 PM
I believe in "Tough Trip Through Paradise", Andrew Garcia states that the Indians much preferred the needleguns, and would have no other in trade. It has been some years since I read the book, but am pretty sure he was referring to the Springfield Trapdoor.
If you like early Montana history, be sure to read the book.

KCSO
07-28-2009, 10:33 PM
The American NEEDLE gun was the 50-70 trapdoor Springfield. So called because the long firing pin was like a needle. This was the gun Bill Cody favored for horseback hunting and called, if I remember right, Lucretia Borgia.

freedom475
07-28-2009, 11:31 PM
I agree that this is a great book... one of those you wish was longer... and this one is a true.
I believe in "Tough Trip Through Paradise", Andrew Garcia states that the Indians much preferred the needleguns, and would have no other in trade. It has been some years since I read the book, but am pretty sure he was referring to the Springfield Trapdoor.
If you like early Montana history, be sure to read the book.

10 ga
07-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Old "Liver Eatin Johnson" also mentions a "needle gun" in his biography. Seems he had one himself if my recollection is correct. I think he was very impressed with the performance of same. I think that was the first I ever heard of such a thing and from his account I couldn't figure out what it was other than some kind of cartridge gun and not a ML. 10ga

NickSS
07-30-2009, 03:55 AM
The indians and white men called the trapdoor Springfields needle guns because of there long range and power. I own several and last October went to Wyoming on a buffalo hut and bagged a cow buffalo with my 1866 Trapdoor at 125 yards. The load was a lyman 450 gr FP over 70 gr of GOEX FFG Loaded in a Starline case. One shot and one dead Buffalo. Its good eating too.