PDA

View Full Version : PP rifle question

pbbutz
07-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Can the base of the PP boolit project past the neck and into the powder space or is that going to be trouble like most cast applications? I am new to this PP business .....:confused:

Butz

docone31
07-27-2009, 01:54 PM
It has been my experience, it presents no issues.
That is in my .30 cal., and my .303 British.
I load them like jacketeds.

303Guy
07-27-2009, 02:13 PM
I load them like jacketeds. Oh! I had the idea you didn't. Interesting!

There is an instance when it likely should not be done and that is when a 'dough-nut' exists - one significant enough to influence the boolit anyway. But then that is true of J-words also.

docone31
07-27-2009, 02:59 PM
I wrap mine .001 over jacketed spec, unless the bore is larger such as the .303. I seat them as I would a jacketed bullet without a crimp. I use jacketed load data.

303Guy
07-27-2009, 04:55 PM
docone31, is it permissable to allow the boolit to be pushed back into the case a little by virtue of it contacting the leade? Or would that create inconsistencies with seating depth? (It does create problems with extracting un-fired rounds! And Murphy's law states the boolit will pull out the case on that one occasion when you have not used a filler and you have forgotten your cleaning rod at home! [smilie=1: I just know these things instinctively. :mrgreen: )

docone31
07-27-2009, 05:41 PM
I do not let my castings touch the leade, I set them as per SAAMI specs as if they were jacketeds.
That has been my winning combination in my rifles.
I use full loads with no filler.

303Guy
07-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Oh! Thanks for that! In which case New 303 Brit mold is ready for production!

The whole time I was thinking I had to fit the boolit to above the shoulder junction and have a near contact fit with the leade. Is there a limit to how far past the shoulder juction a boolit can be seated?

docone31
07-27-2009, 07:19 PM
Paper patching seems to behave differently than lead castings, even though they are based on lead.
With my .303, I have yet to see evidence of anything detrimental from seating the bases below the shoulder. I do not bury the base in the case, but all my loads have at least the area the check would take up below the case shoulder. When I set them high in the case, I got fouling around the neck. They still fired the same, but seating them lower than a casting would be set did not seem to make that much difference.

pdawg_shooter
07-28-2009, 08:20 AM
In my 300RUM with its short neck, my 200 gr PP always extend below the base of the neck. No problem. I load in un-sized cases and seat the bullet into the lands. With a BHN of 18 I have gotten 3000fps with good accuracy.

303Guy
07-28-2009, 03:13 PM
That answers the original question then. So it seams we have a fair amount of leeway with patched boolits. Great!:drinks:

Nrut
07-29-2009, 11:24 PM
In my 300RUM with its short neck, my 200 gr PP always extend below the base of the neck. No problem. I load in un-sized cases and seat the bullet into the lands. With a BHN of 18 I have gotten 3000fps with good accuracy.

pdawg_shooter..
How tight are your patched boolits in the un-sized necks of your brass?...Can you hand seat the boolits or do you use a seating die?
thx..

pdawg_shooter
07-30-2009, 08:15 AM
pdawg_shooter..
How tight are your patched boolits in the un-sized necks of your brass?...Can you hand seat the boolits or do you use a seating die?
thx..

No I cannot seat by hand. I use a die and then a Lee FC die to remove the bell.