PDA

View Full Version : Dillon 550 rifle loads

357maximum
07-27-2009, 12:10 PM
Has anyone ever done a side to side accuarcy comparison using a dillon to load rifle rounds compared to single staged batch loading?

I have always done all rifle loads batch fashion on a single stage, but with some success loading the 35 rem plinkers on the dillon I am ready to do some 30/30 plinkers on there also......I just wondered how many actually load their rifle rounds on a 550, and whether any comparitive accuracy testing has been done.

Heavy lead
07-27-2009, 12:37 PM
I've never loaded rifle rounds on a progressive, but as long as their was good alignment and accurate powder measuring, can't see how there would be a difference. In fact consistancy being the name of the game it may be easier. Now I have loaded (singly) 223 and 22-250 on Lee Turret's before and couldn't tell the difference in accuracy from using my single stage. I did not measure runout, but they shot typically good.

Russ in WY
07-27-2009, 01:40 PM
Have been doing that for yrs. 223/222/20Tac. using Lee Collet Dies & the slide bar Dillon powder measures. Primary shooting is Pd's out here in WY. Have never done a comparison. Get excellent accuracy for all the shooting that I do. If your into BR shooting then probably don't want to use any Progressive Press. I use a micrometer type seating die , That I think is a Plus once you establish your [Sweet Spot] for seating length. The powder drop is very consistent with Benchmark & Rl-10X that I use in the calibers that I currently reload. Go for it.. My 2¢ Russ.

garandsrus
07-27-2009, 01:50 PM
David Tubb, multiple time National High Power champion and champion of more things that you can imagine, uses a modified 550 to load all his match rounds.

I load all my rifle and pistol rounds on a Dillon and have been very happy with it.

John

Lloyd Smale
07-27-2009, 03:36 PM
Ive shot 1/2 groups with 223 and 308 loaded on a 550 so if theres a differnce im sure not seeing it. Maybe if you were using stick powders that didnt meter well you might see a slight differnce.

BruceB
07-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Some years ago, I did a direct comparison between 100 rounds of .220 Swift loaded on the Rockchucker, with another 100 rounds loaded on my 550.

The single-stage rounds were trimmed and their primer pockets cleaned. All charges were individually weighed. The cases loaded on the 550 were just taken from the tumbler, lubed and progressively loaded.

This gave me 200 rounds in total, and all were fired in alternating groups in a long session at the bench. The rifle was a HB Ruger 77 varminter, and very accurate. By alternating, shooting a group with one batch and then the next group with the other ammo, I think I managed to maintain pretty decent uniformity as to the wind and weather conditions.

In the final assessment, there was NO meaningful difference in group size. None. Since that test, I don't bother cleaning primer pockets or doing any more weighing of charges beyond that required for my peace of mind. The 550 loads most of my large-batch runs these days, and the rifles seem very happy with the ammo. The Dillon measure works well even up to such large-ish granules as are found in Short-Cut IMR 4831. Given a choice, though, I prefer to use ball-type propellants for progressive loading.

StarMetal
07-27-2009, 04:16 PM
well mike i did some thing close to that but used a dillon 650 to load some .223 also loaded some .223 on the rockchucker then shot the ammo from both in a handi-rifle the differnce i found was each ammo printed aprox 1 inch apart from the batch i sighted in with the rockchucker was the ammo i sighted in with and the dillon reloads printed one inch up and to the right. all was loaded with the same primers same powder charge and same Jbullets. steve k

If that were true all loading manuals would be void, or have to be rewritten as to what press the cartridges are assembled on.

I believe somewhere you're missing something that is different between the round loaded on the Dillion and the ones on the Rockchucker.

I'll go along with BruceB's better testing with a better rifle.

Joe

45nut
07-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Maybe the primers were different. Just guessin'
I have loaded hundreds,, thousands of rifle rounds on my 550,, never once had a failure or accident and all have been very consistent.

Heavy lead
07-27-2009, 04:25 PM
If that were true all loading manuals would be void, or have to be rewritten as to what press the cartridges are assembled on.

I believe somewhere you're missing something that is different between the round loaded on the Dillion and the ones on the Rockchucker.

Joe

Not necessarily, it could be a difference in powder measuring and how it was dropped, you can and do get different results from how a powder is loaded into a case, if you don't believe it test it, take any given load that can be accurately measured and weighed, weigh one batch funneled in, weigh another drop tubed and swirled in the funnel, throw one batch and throw and drop tube swirled in the funnel in another. I'll be your velocity, pressure, and poi will be slighly different on all four, even if the accuracy is just as good. Consistant technique is the key here in charging a case with powder.

mike in co
07-27-2009, 04:26 PM

Joe

i dont think void is the correct answer...more like another question....were the same dies used in each machine ???
i difference in neck tension would cause the diff.....

mike in co

357maximum
07-27-2009, 08:45 PM
THANKS that is what I was hoping to hear.....I have some large batches to do....and well................. I am looking for a shortcut. I am using ball powders so I should be good. I just have never done such a thing.my old man taught me that it was wrong to do em on the dillon...but I have heard whispers to the contrary, and I really did not have time to do a long drawn out test.

I simply trust your opinions more than something written in glossy print.:bigsmyl2: THANK YOU

Russ in WY
07-27-2009, 09:09 PM
As mentioned above in earlier post , loading multiply calibers, the .204 powder drop die & RL-10X on my 550, I did experience some powder bridging much to my dismay. I solved that problem by reaming out the powder drop die with a portion of a rat tail file to as large a dia. as I could & still stay smaller then the case inside neck dia. Then proceeded to polish the reamed area & whole die to a [Shines Like New Money] finish & never a bridge since. Just a "Heads Up" for any one loading 20 Cal on a Dillon & certain powders that mite bridge. My 2¢ Russ.