PDA

View Full Version : Funny but good alloy

44man
07-27-2009, 08:07 AM
I found a pound of 50-50 pure and antimony left that I made up over 35 years ago. I also had most of a pound stick of what I think was 50-50 lead, tin.
I mixed these with about 22# of WW's expecting some very hard test alloy.
It makes beautiful boolits, so I shot some after aging and they shoot extremely accurate out of my .44.
The funny thing is they are hard and I can't leave a mark with my fingernail, just shines the surface but they are only 20 BHN. With all of the antimony, I expected at least 28 or more. The hardness dents are deeper then on my other alloy. They are hard yet tough and ductile.
Since I was using up the stuff I had sitting around all these years, there is no way to ever duplicate it. :???:
I did the same with lube a long time ago. I had 3 or 4 batches that I didn't like so I melted them all together to get the best lube I ever made. There was some of everything in the lubes, even pig lard. No way on earth to make it again. :confused:
Why is it when something works, it can never be made again? [smilie=1:Am I alone or do many of you do the same, hit something perfect and then sit and scratch your head? :drinks:

Trapshooter
07-27-2009, 09:14 AM
Sounds like my wife's cooking philosophy. :-D Don't measure, and don't keep track of the ingredients, she can never reproduce the same dish twice! It's great!

Trapshooter

Bass Ackward
07-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Am I alone or do many of you do the same, hit something perfect and then sit and scratch your head? :drinks:

Will you accept any other anatomical areas to answer your question?

See, the head is off limits these days. Call it .... hair conservation. :grin:

targetshootr
07-27-2009, 11:08 AM
It must be a law of nature. A sure way to make something at WalMart disappear is for it to fit me perfectly.

44man
07-27-2009, 12:16 PM
Will you accept any other anatomical areas to answer your question?

See, the head is off limits these days. Call it .... hair conservation. :grin:
Sure will! :bigsmyl2:
It's like the other day, I was making beer and friends came over---well we drank too much which is really rare for us. I fell asleep on the couch for a while and when I woke up the first thought was of my beer. I ran down and there it was, in the bucket working fine and all the equipment was clean and put away.
I do not remember half of the work! :confused: Been years and years since I had that much but it must have made work easier. Maybe I should cast like that! :mrgreen: I might get hop flavored boolits though.