PDA

View Full Version : Mihec Mold ID ?

2Sharp
07-27-2009, 07:20 AM
It looks like I will be getting several Mihec molds and I have noticed they are not marked what caliber or weight. What would be a good way to mark these for ID? Would a permanent magic marker work?

bj

Bret4207
07-27-2009, 07:55 AM
I use a stamp set on my GB moulds. An electro pencil would be easier.

Shuz
07-27-2009, 11:19 AM
I've used a permanent type Magic Marker to mark the sprue plates on a lot of my moulds. Now I don't need reading glasses to try and decipher the smallish numbers stamped by the mould makers! Seems to work for me and sure is a lot easier than stamping or etching.

Blammer
07-27-2009, 09:12 PM
I just grab a mould and start casting, after a few hundred I try to figure out if it's the one I need.... if not grab another and start casting....

Dale53
07-28-2009, 12:30 AM
I thought about, then discarded, the idea of marking the MeHec moulds with a numbering set. The thought of banging on my super moulds set my teeth on edge.

A "permanent" marker is not really permanent but MAY be permanent enough. It sure is easy enough to renew (a good solvent should remove the old lettering and prepare for the new).

Another good possibility is to use an "engraving pencil" (you know, the old vibrator thing?).

I also have a very small ball bit for my Dremel tool that will allow me to "engrave" the information. I'll be sure and practice on some junk aluminum before I mark up my MeHec moulds.

Dale53

2Sharp
07-28-2009, 08:49 AM
Thanks Guys. I think I will look for that cheap Dremel engraver and give it a test on some metal first and see what it will do. I will report back.

bj

2Sharp
08-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Well it's a month later and I finally got a Dremel 290-01 engraver. I happen to have purchased it at Amazon but I am sure you could get it at Home Depot or elsewhere. It is about $20 and I got an extra diamond tip with it for about $12. It works like I wanted, to permanantly mark these molds so I don't have to look up the numbers every time or wonder what it is.

bj

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3420/3857197206_aea5ed4f8a.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2637/3857197884_8ca709ae75.jpg

big dale
08-25-2009, 04:57 PM
[QUOTE=Blammer;623441]I just grab a mould and start casting, after a few hundred I try to figure out if it's the one I need.... if not grab another and start casting....

I kind of like Blammer's answer. I needed to cast some of those anyway.

Since I leave the handles attached to the molds, I think I will hit the garage sales in search to a woodburning kit like we used when we were kids and simply "brand" the ID into the handles. I don't want to screw up HiHec's great work in any way.

Big Dale

Dale53
08-25-2009, 08:39 PM
25Sharp;
I did a little online research (neither Home Depot or Lowe's lists it) and ordered my Dremel engraver from Amazon.

I have a number of moulds that can use this including Lee's. Lee's marks theirs but uses a stock number that means nothing to me. This will allow me to correct that.

Thank you for the information. Incidentally, this item qualifies for free shipping if it's over $25.00. I ordered it and two of Glenn Beck's new books, "Common Sense" to go above the $25.00. I think his two books ended up costing me about $5.00 more than the cost of shipping. Pretty good!:drinks:

Dale53

2Sharp
08-26-2009, 06:32 AM
Thanks Dale 53. I have already marked my Saeco's and Lee's. No more wondering what boolit it throws.

bj