PDA

View Full Version : Applied alox and then sized. Apply another coat or not?

stevekl
07-27-2009, 12:09 AM
I want to say no, because even though the sized parts are shiny, I'm sure they have a little bit of lube still left on them. Also there's lube in the grooves, so I should be okay, right?

snaggdit
07-27-2009, 12:12 AM
If you put on a heavy enough coat to see it, you should be ok. You could dilute it 50/50 with mineral spirits and do a second coat if you really want to be sure, but why noty try some and see. If you don't get leading you are set!

Leftoverdj
07-27-2009, 12:26 AM
Depends, Steve. For light targer loads in the 700-800 fps range, you should be OK. I would not load more than a box until I had tried them.

A good many of our members size without lube in the Lee sizers and many more use a light touch something that does not have to dry for the sizing step, and lube with LLA after sizing. One drying time tries my patience. Two would drive me nuts.

Next time, if you have a can of PAM, WD-40, Hornady One Shot, or anything remotely similar around, a very short squirt will lube several hundred bullets well enough to run them through a Lee sizer. Before anyone jumps on me, I'm talking a tiny amount of WD-40 on the bullets only, and I'd use something else if I had it handy.

Bret4207
07-27-2009, 07:50 AM
As the guys said- try a few. Each gun is an individual and each load combo is a further variable. Only by trying each combo in your gun can you say for sure what will or won't work.

Rocky Raab
07-27-2009, 09:34 AM
I know that actually reading the instructions somehow reflects poorly on a guy's macho level (joking) but Lee does suggest a second lubing with LLA after sizing.

I personally don't think that the LLA in the grooves serves as a lube at all, because I doubt it flows out of there during firing. So you have to have the bearing surfaces coated with LLA for it to work. That's why I always second coat them.

Trey45
07-27-2009, 09:42 AM
When I use Lee Liquid Alox I tumble first, then size, then tumble again and allow to "dry" for several hours, if not an entire day before loading. I'd rather not take a chance of leading a barrel.

Cloudpeak
07-27-2009, 10:21 AM
I like the "spray with Hornady One Shot case lube, push through size, LLA/XLOX" method. Saves a bit of money, is way less messy and seems to work on my 9mm & 45 loads. One can of "One Shot" did around 20,000 bullets and cases. You don't need to use much. (I do give my brass a "squirt" of "One Shot" even though I use carbide dies as I feel my LNL progressive operates a bit smoother.)

Shiloh
07-27-2009, 12:40 PM
I put a pile of boolits in a small plastic bucket. Add about a table spoonful of mineral spirits, swish it around, and run through the LEE sizer. When done, I Tumble lube as normal. I found no need to TL twice. If there is just a "Bump" in the size die, I skip the mineral spirits.

Shiloh

Jumping Frog
07-28-2009, 10:09 AM
When I use Lee Liquid Alox I tumble first, then size, then tumble again and allow to "dry" for several hours, if not an entire day before loading. I'd rather not take a chance of leading a barrel.
That is what I do, with the clarification that I tumble lube and then size immediately while they are still wet. When I am done sizing, they are still wet as well. I simply put them back into my container, add only the smallest amount of LLA to "top off" and re-tumble.

Then dry. Only one drying cycle.

docone31
07-28-2009, 10:14 AM
I size with dish soap, rinse it off completely, then either wrap, or lube.
Works for me.

imashooter2
07-28-2009, 11:09 AM
Tumble, size, tumble for me. Very light coats both times. I have lubed boolits by adding a teaspoon or two of mineral spirits and melting old deposits off the side of my lubing bowl...

tactikel
07-28-2009, 10:41 PM
-For Pistol: tumble in LLA thinned with mineral spirits, size, then tumble in straight LLA.
-For Rifle: tumble lube with LLA, size/crimp GC, tumble in JPW.
-Age both for 4-5 weeks then load.

bohokii
07-28-2009, 11:36 PM
i just whang mine through naked maybe a candle rub on every 10th boolit

geargnasher
07-28-2009, 11:51 PM
I've had leading in every case with pistol calibers with only one coat before sizing. I've checked recovered boolits and found LLA still coating the base and grooves, proving to me that it does nothing if not on the nose and drive bands. Sometimes I get leading even after coating a second time, but less if I dilute with Mineral Spirits and melt in a little carnauba wax.

LLA tends to dissolve itself, so try some of the suggestions above to prelube with something only for sizing purposes and then coat with LLA.

Gear

looseprojectile
07-29-2009, 12:26 PM
I have been loading for rifles in .357 and .44 magnum.
I use the Lee sizer dry and boolits come out shiny on the sized portions.
Thin the Alox about 50% with charcoal lighter fluid. The thinner is added to the Alox to enable me to apply a thin coating. Apply a small amount to boolits and spread them on a cookie sheet, heat with a heat gun to drive off the thinner. When cool, about fifteen minutes, apply a coat of paste wax or Rooster Jacket and heat the boolits again to evenly distribute the wax and to dry them. when cool they are ready to load.
This system has been working well with gas checked boolits especially at higher velocitys.
I also use this method for the 45 70 , the 40 65 , the .375 mag , and 11mm mauser, all without gas checks. Will also work well in the 30 caliber guns with and without checks.

Life is good

mdi
07-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Lee usually has simple to read/understand instructions. "However, for best results, we recommend bullets be re-lubed after sizing to be sure the sized portion is coated with Lee Liquid Alox". Step 4 on the instructions supplied with a Lee Bullet Lubricating and Sizing Kit.

"When all else fails, read the instructions."

243winxb
07-29-2009, 12:34 PM
When all else fails, read the instructions
I know that actually reading the instructions somehow reflects poorly on a guy's macho level (joking) but Lee does suggest a second lubing with LLA after sizing. And how to do it is on Lee's website.

mpmarty
07-29-2009, 01:49 PM
I hate LLA! Unfortunately I use it almost exclusively as it works and is quick and easy.
I take the same approach as everyone else seems to, that is I tumble, size and then tumble again. However I go one step further and shake on a bit of motor mica after they have dried on wax paper over night. This makes them look less like LLA coated boolits and also stops them from being sticky.:coffee:

captaint
07-29-2009, 02:14 PM
Steve - I just use 50/50 LLA and JPW. Add a little thinner to get it liquid, put it in a squeeze bottle and there ya go!!. I do it before and after. Really like the JPW addition. Enjoy Mike