PDA

View Full Version : Federal load data

nonferrous
07-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Can anyone tell me if the load data for Federal Gold Medal shells will cross over to be used on the lower cost Federal Top Gun range and target shells?

Thanks

Johnch
07-27-2009, 12:17 AM
Simple answer NO

If load is for target loads
You could use the data , you will just get a little lower velosity

If you want it for hunting loads ( 1 1/4 -1 1/2oz )
Email Alliant or Hodgdon if not listed on line

I have a number of books with load data for the Hi Power hull ( cheap paper base hull )
Tell me what you want and I might be able to help

John

diehard
07-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Trap and skeet shooters have told me just about what Johnch said except that they recommended using GM data for the Top guns. Of course they usually want low velocity loads. One guy is a Retired member of the US Navy skeet team, and tells me a straight walled hull is a straight walled hull, and a tapered walled hull is a tapered walled hull, and that is all you need to know. Don't know if I'm ready to accept that at face falue, but it works for him. I have loaded slugs using both the GM and Hi Power data and have seen little difference...but I am a novice reloader and do not have a chronograph.

There are a number of threads on this subject on Shotgunworld and Trapshooters.com. Pick your poison.

Best advice was given by Johnch....call Alliant and Hodgdon and ask. I have gotten great responses from Alliant by email. Hodgdon seems to work best with a phone call.
Happy shooting.

scrapcan
07-27-2009, 11:09 AM
you can also call federal and they will send you data for the various hulls they use. I needed data for the multipurpose hull and they sent a good size packet of info.

nonferrous
07-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the response.
It does make sense that a straight walled hull is a straight walled hull.
Back when shot went to 50.00, I bought about 1000 new Federal range loads and shot them up, they are the cheap ones with the paper base and now I want to use them up.

Johnch, what I want to do is go with 1 1/8th oz shot, a Claybuster Red 8, cheddite #209 and about 17.5 - 18 gr's of Clays in a paper base Federal hull. The number on the wad is CB 3118-12AR.
Do you have anything that looks like that on your data sheet?

Thanks, Len

scrapcan
07-27-2009, 12:46 PM
Nonferrous, are these the bulk pack target loads? If they are I have data for them from federal. You need to be careful with a straight hull is a straight hull. Base wad depth is very important.

I am using rex powders or red dot, CB 12s3 repalcement wad, and 1 1/8 shot.

let me know if I can be of help, my data is at home and I will not be around it till this evening but could look at it then.

nonferrous
07-27-2009, 04:33 PM
These are packaged 4 boxes in a pack, 100 rounds. They are called Multi-Purpose-Load, Field & Target. I really hated to buy shells but I thought that as long as I had to buy some, I may as well buy these and then would have some nice hulls to go forward with.
Back in the 70's I used to reload the old Federal paper hulls over and over until the paper shell would burn thru above the base.
Come to find out that the these paper base shells are only good for 1 or 2 reloads because of the poor quality. Thats ok, I can still use them up.
I do not have a gold medal hull around here to compare the inside depth.
If you come across any data, would you please check the load with Win 209 primers as well?

Thanks

Johnch
07-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Johnch, what I want to do is go with 1 1/8th oz shot, a Claybuster Red 8, cheddite #209 and about 17.5 - 18 gr's of Clays in a paper base Federal hull. The number on the wad is CB 3118-12AR.
Do you have anything that looks like that on your data sheet?

Thanks, Len

No Cheddite primers are listed
But they are a almost exact sub fo the Win 209

So you should be around 1125 FPS with 17.5 and 1150 FPS with 18
19 gr of Red dot with the Win 209 is susposed to be 1190 FPS to 1225 fps depend on witch book you look at

I woud shoot that load , or bump it up 1 bushing

But just be carefull of the Fig 8 wads
They have a nasty habit of kinking in the hull if you are loading in a hurry or not watching

If a wad kinks , no harm
Just a real slow load and poor pattern on the kinked load

I realy like the 112S3 by clay buster in the Federal topgun , Estate or Federal highpower hulls ( all the same )

John

nonferrous
07-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Thanks John,
That load data looks good to me. The reason I bought the red 8 wads, is that Midsouth listed them as the correct item for the Federal straight wall hull. Thanks for the heads up and I will be slow and watchfull when inserting them.
Len

scrapcan
07-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Sorry guys I did not get to the book shelf last night. I use the multipurpose hulls with a similar load as mentioned. I also have seen an issue withthe figure 8 wads. I like the CB replacement wads.

I have not had an issue with the hulls not lasting. I shot 4 boxes two weeks ago that have been loaded 5 times. No spit crimps or loose primer pockets yet, we will see what happens when I go to fill em up again.

I like using the multipurpose federal hull because theyare every where at the club and nobody else uses them. They load well on the old PW 800B and the citori sends them down range with the best of them.

We did have an issue with 5000 fiocchi primers a number of years ago. it seems that even though they were boxed as the Fiocchie 616 (209 equivalent), they were actually the other fiocchi primer that has a larger cup. Is that old primer the 615? Those hulls all went into the trash to be disposed of.

scrapcan
07-30-2009, 10:31 AM
I have the data scanned but pdf is too large to post. send me a pm if interested.

nonferrous
07-31-2009, 03:04 PM
manleyjt,
I would appreciare the info and will send a PM.
Thanks

nonferrous
08-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Information recieved and I am good to go. Thanks to all regarding load data for Federal paper base hulls.