PDA

View Full Version : O-rings for Magma Star Sizer

jeffwhetstone
07-26-2009, 10:54 PM
Anyone here able to remove dies from their Magma Star sizer without destroying the top o-ring?

I've pretty much come to accept I'll be using a new one with every die change.

anyways... I was ordering some CDs from Amazon and needed a dollar or two more for free shipping and came across a killer deal: a 500-pack of 3/4" ID x 15/16" OD x 3/32' EPDM o-rings per AS568-116 for a grand total of $2.72.
Now I have enough to last the rest of my days.

Since I ordered that pack, it doesn't seem to be listed anymore, but they still have a 100-pack for $1.08:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-EPDM-Rubber-O-Ring-Duro/dp/B001E0AITI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=industrial&qid=1248662326&sr=8-1

about the same price you'd pay for 1 or 2 @ home depot, lowes, etc.
just thought I'd pass that along... Jeff

Springfield
07-26-2009, 11:22 PM
I don't bother using the o-rings as I change dies a couple timesa a week sometimes. The press works just fine without them. I have 5 or 6 just sitting in a bag in my toolbox.

KYCaster
07-27-2009, 01:34 AM
O-rings??? They got O-rings??? :confused:

Jerry

cajun shooter
07-27-2009, 09:08 AM
Magma, designed the two o-ring cuts at top of and bottom of die. They thought it would improve the machine. It didn't, it is a PITA. Just use a pick and remove them they are not needed and as you have found only make die replacement harder. Look in the die cavity of a old Star and you will see they are not there. The idea was to stop the lube from coming out of these two area's . I have found that if you keep the pressue correct that it's not a problem. I have the air cylinders on my two Stars.

jeffwhetstone
07-27-2009, 10:36 PM
I agree they are a PITA. Tried it once without them and it made a mess.... but that was a decade ago when I first got the machine. maybe I had the pressure too high.

Next time I change dies I'll try it without one. Thanks for the suggestion, Cajun.

If that doesn't work, I guess I still have 499 o-rings left...

lathesmith
07-27-2009, 11:56 PM
The O-rings were touted as an "improvement" in the design, which, as some stated here, is highly debateable. The real reason for the O-rings is so the die cavity can be manufactured to looser tolerances, speeding up production and lowering production costs. Older machines had a closer die/body fit, but even with the looser tolerances leakage isn't really a problem.
lathesmith

Lee W
07-28-2009, 06:05 PM
I have tried mine without an o-ring. I was not a good idea.

The next o-ring that got cut evenly was left in there. It has worked fine ever since.

Echo
07-29-2009, 01:34 AM
I have an old Star, and it has O-Rings. And if I'm reasonably careful, hardly ever cut one up when re-seating. Hardly ever...

vanilla_gorilla
08-01-2009, 11:27 AM
On this subject, where can I get additional dies for a Star? I need a .430 to go with my .357.

Springfield
08-01-2009, 12:14 PM
Magmaengineering.com makes the Star and has all the dies you could need. Lathesmith also makes them, haven't tried any yet, haven't needed any new ones lately. My older Star doesn't take an o-ring, maybe it is older than some others. My 2 new ones don't run o-rings and they work fine.

jeffwhetstone
08-01-2009, 01:22 PM
vaniila_gorilla, I'll second the recommendation to get Star dies from Lathesmith. Got a .401 from him a while back and it's every bit as nice, if not nicer than the dies from Magma.

Down South
08-01-2009, 10:54 PM
I've bought several dies for my Star from Lathesmith and they work just as well as Star dies that cost an arm and a leg. I will be buying more from him before long.

cajun shooter
08-02-2009, 08:45 AM
There is only a few dollars difference in the price of sizing dies from Magma or from Lathesmith. That is not the reason to buy from Lathesmith. His dies are better made and he will work with you and make sure you have a die that works. He is also a forum member whom we need to support. If you have a custom made mold and need a special sizing die with lube holes in different places he will do that also. I have sent him bullets from my molds and he has made the dies for that bullet not just a fit all type die that you have to plug this hole or that hole. He has also made me dies that are over the normal size so that I can lube a bullet without sizing it. In other words Lathesmith is the only source that you should consider and I receive no commission for this endorsement. Ha!! Ha!!

MT Chambers
08-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Replacement O-rings can be bought anywhere as they are Industry #116 o-rings, the only sure way to remove dies without damaging the o-rings is to heat sizer/base to a very warm temp, then the dies just pull out easily, although this heat-up is not always convenient.

mtgrs737
08-02-2009, 11:20 PM
To remove dies I just use the die removal tool, works like a champ!

LqChrome
08-14-2009, 04:26 PM
ditto, mtgrs737