PDA

View Full Version : 7mm soupcan

TCLouis
03-26-2006, 04:41 PM
Forgive me if I lost conciousness and missed the final details, but . . .

WHAT EVER HAPPENED WITH THIS ORDER??

Just wondering.

scrapcan
03-26-2006, 05:35 PM
TCLouis,

have a gander at the sticky post at the top of the page with the title
CAST BOOLIT's First group mold buy.

I think that is the status fo the grup buy for the 7mm soupcan. If you read throught eh whole thing, I think you will get the info you are looking for.

TCLouis
03-27-2006, 10:18 PM
going to wade thru all the blather to see IF there is an answer hidden in there. Either I am out 112 bucks or a mold or two will magically appear some day before I die (least I hope that is the way it goes).

Buckshot
03-27-2006, 10:27 PM
going to wade thru all the blather to see IF there is an answer hidden in there. Either I am out 112 bucks or a mold or two will magically appear some day before I die (least I hope that is the way it goes).

.................Just click on the last page, then scroll down to Oldfeller's March entry and read down. They're in transit.

................Buckshot

StarMetal
03-27-2006, 10:28 PM
Well Oldfeller wanted to send the order in December, but the moderators said NOOOooooooooooo....so it went in late January I believe. So don't blame Oldfeller, it's not his fault.

Joe

TCLouis
03-27-2006, 10:38 PM
I wurn't a blamin NO ONE.

Just asking. I kinda tuned out there for a while and was wondering if all the haggling had settled down.

Need to get off of my duff and test a couple that I have now.

Then I need to shed some molds that I ain't gonna ever get around to using!

StarMetal
03-27-2006, 10:40 PM
TCLouis,

Sorry there pardner....I didn't mean for that to be taken that way. I'm not saying you were blaming anyone. sorry

Joe

waksupi
03-28-2006, 12:14 AM
Well Oldfeller wanted to send the order in December, but the moderators said NOOOooooooooooo....so it went in late January I believe. So don't blame Oldfeller, it's not his fault.

Joe

Joe, none of the moderators said he couldn't do it, or even suggested that. It was his business to do it when he wished. He did ask our opinions, mine at least, and I just pointed out the Christmas season generally had spare money tied up for a lot of folks. That was the extent of moderator involvement, to the best of my knowledge. I was just using some common sense, as far as most wide spread participation went.

StarMetal
03-28-2006, 12:40 AM
Ric,

Read this post from that whole episode, pay attention to this paragraph: I would have preferred to lock down 2005 pricing by placing the order before the first of the year, but that is not what was recommended by the group leadership.

Now I take that as either the owners and/or moderators. Here's the whole post:
The 15th of January has been suggested as group order date.

This means all the preliminary work done last month with the distributors has gone under the bridge and over the dam and also the new 2006 LEE pricing structure will be in place when we strike up the conversations with the distributors shortly before the middle of January, so I fully expect some minor changes due to the delay. What exactly, I can't tell you -- we will all have to wait and see.

Another wrinkle is that my new job has decided to send me off to a week of out of town corporate training starting Jan 22, so I hope the honcho's listen when I say "send me in your drawing and your best guess on your mold count in advance so I can try to do some of the legwork with the distributors in advance". We need to actually place the order on the 15th, not just be starting collecting it all together.

I would have preferred to lock down 2005 pricing by placing the order before the first of the year, but that is not what was recommended by the group leadership.

So we roll with the circumstances.

Oldfeller

If I remember correctly oldfeller gave me more details in private messages. Because of all it, I pulled out of the mould deal.

Joe

scrapcan
03-30-2006, 02:25 AM
I tried to save us all from reliving the previous post. I now see the error of my ways. Sorry I will not suggest that we go to the source for accurate info. Continue the bashing as I step back.

Oldfeller
03-31-2006, 03:20 PM
Current LEE update as of 10:30AM today --- Doug is cutting the molds TODAY, right now, he swears it. "Call back on Monday to get the shipment tracer information". Yeah Doug, we all hear you. Of course he said he was working on the tooling and getting ready to cut them last Tuesday ....

25 molds will be dropped shipped to me -- other 25 go to distributor where they will cost a few bucks more.

3 molds will be cut at print max to a thousanth over print on the driver bands (once again Doug verifies verbally he understands what is wanted and he hasn't forgotten).

I will follow through on all promises (you older members know that) whenever LEE follows up on theirs. What newbies think about things is their own internal issues -- you vintage guys don't sweat over it because I'm not reading the list so I'm not affected by them one itty bitty iota.

End of LEE mold run discussion

<change of topic>

==================== <g> new hobby toy ============

http://photos.gunloads.com/images/Oldfeller/94mmbigboresavage.jpg

(lets see, Buckshot, David R and Bass forgot it was April first season again - hee hee !!)

I paid down on a "fair to good condition" old Savage last week that I am playing around with getting it all ready to go. This one is a 94mm bore, the largest Savage that was ever sold anywhere (to my limited knowledge anyway). Designation stamped on the case is LSxxxx650PK. Case has a very large capacity (460 drams -- ??? smokeless I hope !!!) with a relatively wide rebated? circular rim at the top of the head area (that doesn't seem to stick out at all).

This one was apparently imported out of Asia and is old and has some signs of hard use (one broken off misthreaded and totally buggered up screw on the side plate). It seems to have all the bits and pieces and it isn't rusted beyond what you would expect for its age. It dates all the way back to '02 for date of manufacture according to what little documentation came with it.

Bad news, these very large metric bore Savages are simply not to be found unless you get lucky and you just happen to see one pop up online or catch one in a speciality magazine "for sale" ad. Use manuals are non-existant, but I was able to get some information off the internet which included operation, maintenance and some cleaning instructions.

I've spent the last year and more looking for mine (cheap one) so I paid down on it and then immediately paid the balance so I could go ahead and take possession. So now I have to go through all the local & state permits & liscensing hassles. I already got a Federal ID number to use to apply for the local and state permits - I got that a long time ago back when it was just one simple form filled out to get it.

I sure hope she won't wind up hurting me once I figure out how I can get her primed -- you got to follow a very specific drill (in exact sequence) to get it to fire. I need to get me some heavy gloves, heavy shoulder pads and hearing protection with a face protected helmet for whenever I get finally her ready and finally let'er rip.

She normally generates something like 54.23 Nm/second reaction thrust during firing. With tweeking you CAN get up to over 60 Nm/second of reaction thrust "which becomes very difficult to control" according some Neatherlands based folks who have done it. Effective range was reported as 19,300 d.m (whale of a lot further than I can see with a spotting scope I bet).

I know, I'm a glutton for punishment but I really really like the big bore older style stuff. I mean, why screw around with a 50 when for not all that much more you can get you a really big old vintage style Savage. Best $2,700 bucks I ever spent.

I'm having me some fun when I'm not working, anyway.

Oldfeller

David R
03-31-2006, 06:18 PM
Is that 3.7 INCH BORE? Heck you could use tractor pistons for projectiles. They would make a nice wadcutter, lube grooves and all.

David

Oldfeller
04-01-2006, 12:12 AM

Yup, 94mm = 3.700" and the case itself is supposed to hold just a bit shy of a half gallon according to the information I gleaned from the net.

(I certainly don't think they ever intended to fill that case up all the way --- certainly you would use much less than 100% full if it were going to be a true smokeless application).

I doubt I'll ever have to put in more than ounce or so at any given time into that big case, probably just exactly barely enough to keep it continously firing correctly.

Mind you cost may eventually become an issue running this baby -- it is equipped to be gravity bowl fed and it will only automatically fire at a absolute minimum of 200 times a minute or it won't keep on firing automatically at all, it will falter and stop due to the spring pressures and motion friction. Then you have to go through the priming drill again to get it to firing again. There is a speed control handle which sets the ongoing firing rate and it can most likely continuously fire more reliably at rates upwards of that minmum 200/bangs per minute, but I certainly don't want to be doing any of that at this point in time.

I'm still tinkering with it. I haven't recovered enough yet from the purchase price to be trying to feed the beast at all yet, plus I still have to get the permits and liscenses straightened out before anything tries to go pop. Toys like this can get you put in jail, you know. They are inherently dangerous. They now tell me I actually have to get some insurance to cover any damage that I may do -- ain't that the most silly thing you ever heard about? And the required personal protection gear requires government agency certification as well.

Honestly, I'd be happy to be able to prime it correctly and get it to fire just once right now.

(grin -- and a happy April first to all you guys)

Buckshot
04-01-2006, 09:39 AM
....................Kelly, so just start a seperate thread and tell us what it is.

.................Buckshot

Oldfeller
04-01-2006, 11:42 AM
Buckshot, I did .....

.... and the April Fool sez

"Them's what only reads the Today stubby-topic cannot see the joke"

Total head count in the newbie trap is 3 -- with 2 not being newbies.

.................................................. ....................

And another one down and another one down
And another one bites the dust, Hey Hey .....

<g>

David R
04-01-2006, 02:28 PM
I guess you could name your new gun "thumper" :)

David

swheeler
04-01-2006, 02:45 PM
The "ONE LUNGER THUMPER" and no it doesn't mean you shot them in just one lung! It will burn your liquid powders very efficiently, remember use only NKG primers, if you encounter ignition problems maybe try some of those magnum autolites! I don't think Felix lube would be my first choice of lube in this application, maybe one of the newer synthenics. No flies on a single shot smoothbore, personally I like a double barrel, just remember when you cock the hammer back on that single shot- it might kick the **** out of ya! Shoot straight.
Scooter

Buckshot
04-02-2006, 12:10 AM
..............My uncle has a BSA single. Don't know how big it is. All my cousins rode dirt bikes and while the Jap 2 strokers sounded like an angry cloud of bees going up a hill, Hales' BSA just went ka-bung, kabung, ka-bung, ka-bung. Kinda like an idleing tractor. Whenever the engine hit the roostertail got a extra long spurt of dirt thrown out.

He's 88 and still quite active although I doubt he's ridden it in a bunch of years. I was in my early teens last I saw him on it so it's been 38 years or so. I do know he still has it unless in the past few years he gave it to one of my cousins.

....................Buckshot

Oldfeller
04-02-2006, 04:37 PM
All state & local liscensing is done, I got the required insurance (in case I go damage something I don't intend to damage) and I even got all the required government agency certified personal protective equipment -- all has been accomplished.

An agent for the State of NC dutifully reviewed the recently re-assembled ordinance for confromance to the very few safety requirements that were required of the old '02 models. He mainly wanted to know if I knew where the various controls were and that all the warning lights and that the audible danger alarm was in good working order. I got the last inspection report and the last sticker was in place. I was legally good to go now.

===================================

So, I positioned the Savage 94mm in a downrange fashion and primed it. I gave it just a small charge, loaded up then I hit the firing button.

Nothing happened. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Not even a solenoid clicking .....

Once I stopped cussing and started thinking calmly (it took a few mins) I realized I had not properly re-deployed the lateral stand array -- an '02 94mm rapid fire Savage will NOT fire unless the lateral stand array is properly transverse deployed for the lateral motion mode that is being used. I moved the array to the appropriate position and tried to fire again.

Still nothing ......

<small interlude for cursing, hair pulling and consultation of printed materials>

There is a stop switch next to the emergency audible danger alarm, I tried it in both positions -- no change -- arrrrg ...

I gave up for today and went to put it up. I was trying to move the aiming yoke and I had the gear engagement lever depressed and I was struggling to move the unit back away from my car when my right thumb accidentally brushed the firing button AND THE DAMN THING WENT OFF.

Fortunately, I missed the car -- but it was a close thing, let me tell you .....

Yes, there is a safety interlock on the gear engagement lever and it must be depressed for the firing mechanism to engergize. Makes sense, you wouldn't ever want to fire it without positively disengaging the lateral motion mechanism and this guarantees this condition is met -- but I did not think an '02 had that sophisticated of a safety interlock system.

In any case, it shoots fine now and will do 112 k/hr without even trying hard.

<g>

Oldfeller

swheeler
04-02-2006, 06:19 PM
Kelly; just try to keep the rotational speed to a minimum, wouldn't want you to get road rash!

Oldfeller
04-03-2006, 11:20 PM
Talked to LEE again today -- order shiped today, verified there were 3 OS molds and 22 serially-run (marked in order of run 1-22) molds so I can fully quantify the dimensional variations that is seen on the as-cast bullets.

It is on the way by UPS ....

Kelly

Oldfeller
04-07-2006, 03:17 AM
Weight with check and lube will be 135 to 137 grains (depending on your alloy and your lube density). Hornaday gas checks are a snap & retain fit on the shank. This bullet would be a "normal" bullet weight for the more modern guns such as 7mm-08 and should be able to kill a deer just fine at cast bullet velocities.

Measurements of the 3 special request oversized driver band molds show that they are NOT oversized on the driver bands and will require .001" band lapping before shipping. They are a half thou to a thou bigger than the rest of the molds, but nowhere near "print max to a thousanth oversize" as requested.

Rest of the normal part of the run is shaping up like this:

Noses are running 1) up to a thousanth of roundness variation with the small being right off the parting line on one side and the large being 90 degrees out from the parting line. This is purely the open-shut variation of the mold itself with the cavity being cut when the mold was tightly clamped. When closed with only hand pressure it is out of round with the "fat" dimension being the beagle effect caused by the lower clamping pressure.

Noses are right at print maximum. Driver bands are at print minimum (with same thousandth size variation going on). Natural roundness variation causes out of print conditions to exist at both locations - OS at the nose and US on the bands.

Since marginal out of print conditions exist in the data, I will complete all measurements and post sizes for all molds. Each mold was pre-heated and has had the middle two cavities "pressure cast" off a 10 lb LEE bottom pour pot as I wasn't about to try to cast and measure all 6 cavs. Fill for measurement purposes was very good, so the individual molds should be near what you see in the data. Data will include "just off the parting line" and "90 degrees out from the parting line" for each of two bullet from each mold.

Doug took the trouble to clean up the cavity blocks -- no HUGE nasty flash anywhere and all surfaces look very cleanly machined. Example, the parting line is barely noticeable, so I think some extra care was taken on these molds.

Data will be posted tomorrow night.

Oldfeller

Pepe Ray
04-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Oldfella has a PM