PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli Rear sight problem

wonderwolf
07-26-2009, 06:35 PM
I purchased a Pedersoli Long range soule sight not too long ago and after some examination it seems that the sight has side to side play in it in the windage base. I can even see the left windage knob shift when I wobble the sight. The right windage knob does not shift at all and there are places along the Y axis on the windage base the sight does actually locks up and will not tilt back and forth. Wanting to get out to the Q next year I really need to get this sorted out soon...I purchased this sight "used" but it does not show signs of abuse or signs of a bent windage screw...Help?

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e220/wonderwolf223/things%20I%20just%20like/USA406.jpg

garandsrus
07-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Wonderwolf,

I have the same sight, but am not looking at it right now. I am pretty sure that the left knob just tightens everything up. The only windage knob is on the right. My guess is that the left knob is just loose.

John

Dave B
07-26-2009, 08:32 PM
The hex bolt at the bottom pinches the mount and tightens up the ladder. The other side looks the same, but is a lock nut . Maybe it's a little too loose. Try loosening the lock nut, which I think is on the left, and then tighten the hex screw on the right.

wonderwolf
07-26-2009, 08:49 PM
I'll try, Without a pair of cheaters I couldn't unlock anything when I tried it earlier. Was affraid to force it and they both turn in unison

Dave B
07-26-2009, 11:01 PM
They should'nt turn in unison much, as one side of the ears is threaded.

wonderwolf
07-27-2009, 12:14 AM
Ok I got the sight apart and figured out whats wrong.

The left knob is the head and bolt part of the assembly and the right knob is the "nut" both need to turn it seems for the sight to adjust without having to unlock or tighten anything down. The rear ladder portion has a small threaded hole that obviously allows it to move back and forth. There is a drum on the inside that acts as a bearing surface to the base....MY problem with my sight is it looks like the drum is slightly out of spec to the base dimensions. And thats why it wobbles. No amount of tension would help on the windage knobs however a slightly stronger spring may help the cause.

So it looks like I'm now stuck with a wobbly "precision" rear sight....About the only thing I can think to do is get a sleeve made and drill out the base. :???:

cajun shooter
07-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Wonderwolf, I have the same sight and wonder if it's previous owner tried to turn the adjustment knob with the sight locked. They have a warranty with Pedersoli. It would not hurt to e-mail them. Maybe it can be repaired with little or no out lay. Go to the Pedersoli forum and look at the warranty stations and repair depots. A place called VTI is supposed to be very good and friendly.

Bob S
07-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Ok I got the sight apart and figured out whats wrong.

MY problem with my sight is it looks like the drum is slightly out of spec to the base dimensions. And thats why it wobbles. No amount of tension would help on the windage knobs however a slightly stronger spring may help the cause.

I had the same issue with one several years ago. Never did resolve it, there is just too much slop in the base. I just decided that I would never, ever purchase another Pedersoli sight.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

montana_charlie
07-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Wonderwolf,
I had a Pedersoli USA 406 like yours. It also had a small amount of 'rock' in the windage drum, but that wasn't the reason I changed to a different brand of sight.

When I first noticed the sideplay in the staff, I tightened the pivot screw down until the sight wouldn't fold down (takes a good screwdriver to do that without damage). Then I backed off just enough to allow free movement of the pivot.

That removed part of the sideplay, but the windage drum still allowed the staff to 'rock' a bit.

It appeared that the staff acted as though it was 'spring tensioned'. By that I mean that it always seemed to return to the same point when I pushed the staff sideways and released it.
I put an optical boresighter in the muzzle and aligned the sights with it...then did the push and release many times. The aperture always came back to the same point for me.
I think the spring inside the Soule windage mechanism caused that to happen.

I had been using that sight for six months before I noticed the sideplay. During that time, I managed to shoot 1 MOA groups (at 100 yards) with fair regularity...so the sight was giving me reliable sight pictures. When my loads would not group well, the spread was much greater than the play in the staff could account for.

So, if your aperture is always in a predictable location when you pull the trigger you should be able to group well...even if the staff whips around like a flyrod during recoil.

I did eventually change sights, but that was to get one which folds flat to the buttstock without removing the eyepiece...

CM

Kenny Wasserburger
07-27-2009, 06:41 PM
when it comes to sights you pretty much get what you pay for.

The Lunger

mnzrxer
08-20-2009, 01:11 PM
I just fixed this on my Pedersoli sight. Once I had it apart I just built up the bottom of the staff with a thin layer of Quick Steel and re-fit the staff (ladder) to the base. It just looked like the person that originally fit the parts together was in a hurry and did a poor job. Took an hour or so of slow filing and sanding, but pretty much eliminated the side to side rocking in the sight.

When I reassembled the sight I also set the windage adjustment side play a little tighter than it was before applying the locktite to keep the nut in place.

RMulhern
09-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Pedersoli sights=JUNK!!

Some folks just have to learn the hard way!!