PDA

View Full Version : .429 from old brass

BT Sniper
07-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Thought I would post some pics of my project I have been working on. I have posted similar pics like this before but I have just about perfected this design.

Basicly I pick up all the old brass in any caliber, be it berdan primed or boxer, and turn it into jacketed bullets. Thse are 255 grain .429s from 30-06 cases. The left over case I use to make my 44 AMP brass with.

It did take a lot of trile and error, mostly errors and frustration but I think I have it almost to final design.

Good shooting guys

BT

BT Sniper
07-26-2009, 06:32 PM
up close of loaded round

NSP64
07-26-2009, 07:09 PM
do you have to shoot jacketed from that automag? How many steps do you do to get it to shootable form?

buck1
07-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Now thats a labor of love. Very cool!

exile
07-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Amazing!

exile

BT Sniper
07-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Years ago brass was not avialble for the Auto Mag Pistol and you had to make your own. I inherited the gun and dies to make the brass with so away I went. The first step was to cut off the 30-06 case which left me with 1K worth of these bullet looking tops. It took me over 3 years to figure out how to use them for jackets. All though the first 2 was just spent thinking about it.

So lets see first I size it down to 25-06. 2: cut off neck at shoulder junction, 3: cut off again to leave 1.3" left for the 44 AMP case, 4: seat the core which forms the tenitive base and 5: form the bullet wich finalizes the base and tip.

Cutting the the case has been quite easy as I built a jig with my mini chop saw and case trimmer. I can probably cut maybe 20 per minute and maintain supprisingly tight tolerances and uniform weights.

Of course there is deburing the jackets, casting the cores and weight sorting everything before hand. Oh yeh, had to make the inner punch for the core seat die also as this is what really allows me to get the base of the jacket to form. That took a little while.

It may actually be easier then making bullets from the 40 S&W case as I don't have to anneal the cut off -06 jackets. So all and all not that labor intensive once you have the tools and jigs to speed production.

Side note, they sure are accurate.

Thanks guys

BT

BT Sniper
07-26-2009, 08:55 PM
I have not tried cast boolits in the AMP but everything I read says it does not like them.

RayinNH
07-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Those look like they could be dangerous to whatever is on the receiving end. Very nice work BT...Ray

Sixgun Symphony
07-27-2009, 08:19 AM
Very good!