PDA

View Full Version : Cast boolits in AR 15's

Cheshire Dave
07-26-2009, 01:17 PM
I've been having fun with cast in a bolt action .222. Showed by buddy and he wants me to load some for his AR. (I've been loading J-word 's for him)I told him I thought it would foul his gas system. Even if it won't gum up his gun I don't think 8gr. of Unique would funtion his action. I'm no expert on AR's. Anyone here try cast in AR's?

StarMetal
07-26-2009, 01:26 PM
I've been having fun with cast in a bolt action .222. Showed by buddy and he wants me to load some for his AR. (I've been loading J-word 's for him)I told him I thought it would foul his gas system. Even if it won't gum up his gun I don't think 8gr. of Unique would funtion his action. I'm no expert on AR's. Anyone here try cast in AR's?

Hmmmmmm, I don't know if that will or not. You'd be surprised how little it takes to cycle that action. Most AR's are over gassed to insure operation under all conditions. Having just now looked at my Lyman cast book and seeing the velocities and pressures with Unique I think it will function it. If it doesn't no big deal, but you can shoot them out of your rifle.

Joe

bohokii
07-26-2009, 01:33 PM
ive fired lots of 22lr through my ar with a conversion kit than just swab the deck and shoot 223 of course i assume the 223 boolit will be traveling faster than the rimfire but as to fowling the gas system ;it can take some abuse

Cheshire Dave
07-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Does the 22lr use the gas system or is it blow back?

Thumbcocker
07-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Search the archives. Lots of folks shoot lead in their AR's.

BD
07-26-2009, 09:52 PM
I don't know how many rounds of cast it would take to gum up an AR. I do know that 300-400 between cleanings won't do the trick in the .450 Bushmaster. The key things are: a gas check, and at least a couple thousand psi at the gas port when the boolit goes by. It's hard to get Unique to run the bolt with light loads in the bigger bores because the pressure drops too fast. In a .223 it shouldn't be that hard at all.
BD

Lloyd Smale
07-27-2009, 06:37 AM
gas tube is not a problem. I doubt if youd ever plug one shooting cast. Only thing you have to keep in mind is the lube is dirty and you need to clean your gun every couple hundred rounds. Especially the bolt area.