PDA

View Full Version : leather treatment?

randyrat
07-26-2009, 09:52 AM
Of course it's for a pstol that will shoot cast boolits[smilie=1: so i think i'm on topic here.
I bought this for a song $20 and cleaned it up with soap and water, now what should i treat it with. It's Hunter 3148 LG Hand Carved oil tanned. I'm not sure if you can see the details with my picture, but it sure is pertty

RayinNH
07-26-2009, 10:02 AM
How about saddle soap, cleans as well as softens and preserves leather...Ray

Larry Gibson
07-26-2009, 10:10 AM
+1 on saddle soap. Nice looking belt but the trouble with them old belts is they shrink a lot. I've had to sell off a couple over the years 'cause they shrunk and the newer ones have such odd sizes. Must be the influence of them smaller chinese that make most of what is available these days. Darned if a size 36 these days says "40" on it!

Larry Gibson

Shiloh
07-26-2009, 10:13 AM
Neatsfoot oil.

Shiloh

randyrat
07-26-2009, 10:49 AM
I'll give it a try. This belt can shrink because i'm on the first knotch i have a bunch of donnuts/pies/ chololate chip oatmeal cookies to go before i run out of knotches.
I also think they make cloths smaller than they used to. Chineese messin with our minds:twisted:

mtgrs737
07-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Galico makes a product that will replace the natural oils that the leather loses without softning the leather too much. Neatsfoot oil will soften the leather and allow it to strech which could be bad for the cartridge loops. I just had Ben Wetsel at Idaho Leather make me a really nice rig for my Ruger New Vaquero and I recomend him highly, his work is top notch.

Naphtali
07-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Of course it's for a pstol that will shoot cast boolits[smilie=1: so i think i'm on topic here.
I bought this for a song $20 and cleaned it up with soap and water, now what should i treat it with. It's Hunter 3148 LG Hand Carved oil tanned. I'm not sure if you can see the details with my picture, but it sure is perttyAsk freedom475. He's a leather worker.

cajun shooter
07-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Ask Springfield as he also has a leather shop. I've been using saddle soap to clean and neatsfoot oil for putting back oils in leather for years.

leadman
07-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Here in Az. if you put Neatsfoot oil on something like this you run the risk of it bleeding onto your clothes.

My wife uses a product from WalMart called Leather CPR that works real well. Website for the product is www.leathercpr.com

Kraschenbirn
07-26-2009, 04:53 PM
+1 on saddle soap (I prefer Fiebing's). I also do a bit of leatherwork from time to time and have obtained good result reconditioning old holsters, gunbelts, rifle slings, etc. using "Snow Proof Waterproofing." I'm not certain what's in it, but it's a fairly thick grease that you work into the leather with your fingers or a brush. After application, let the belt sit in a warm place overnite, wipe down thoroughly, and apply a coat of regular (neutral) shoe polish.

GOPHER SLAYER
07-26-2009, 05:28 PM
I quit using Neatsfoot oil years ago. I found that once applied it kept bleeding forever. I was watching the RFD Channel and they were visiting a big saddle shop in Oklahoma. They asked the owner what the shop used when saddles were sent back for refurbishing. The owner said all we ever use is olive oil. I have been using it ever since.

Tim357
07-26-2009, 06:44 PM
SNO SEAL works wonders. Doesn't soften the leather like neatsfoot oil. Clean the gear with saddle soap and water. Let it dry then apply the SS as Kraschnburn says.
Good stuff
Tim sends

geargnasher
07-26-2009, 10:14 PM
LEXOL. Best stuff there is, imo.

Gear

randyrat
07-26-2009, 10:38 PM
I quit using Neatsfoot oil years ago. I found that once applied it kept bleeding forever. I was watching the RFD Channel and they were visiting a big saddle shop in Oklahoma. They asked the owner what the shop used when saddles were sent back for refurbishing. The owner said all we ever use is olive oil. I have been using it ever since. Why didn't i think of that. I use olive oil and beeswax on my boots.

dromia
07-27-2009, 01:56 AM
Ko - Cho - Line leather dressing.

odoh
07-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Has anyone used JPW? There is a claim on the side of the can listing leather application but I've not tried it ~ ~

randyrat
07-27-2009, 08:44 PM
I've used JPW on my boots, but you have to let the solvents evaporate. I like JPW and a little beeswax on my boots for a long lasting water proofing. But, if your in the heat with them they don't breath very good. It's a cold weather application only for boots.
It seems the Carnuba wax in JPW softens leather a lot. I just didn't want to rub anything on my holster belt and find all limp and not worth using before i get some advice.

44man
07-28-2009, 07:38 AM
Neatsfoot oil will turn brass a nice healthy green if left in the loops! :mrgreen:

Lloyd Smale
07-28-2009, 07:59 AM
I pretty much anymore dont put anything on my leather. ruined to many things getting them to soft. If anything id put some wax like beeswax or sno seal.

Pepe Ray
07-28-2009, 09:30 AM
Look at what rock climbers use on there boots. They MUST remain ridgid.
SnoSeal.

docone31
07-28-2009, 09:39 AM
The most effective leather treatment I ever found, was bullet lube!
I have a pair of Frye Colegiate boots from 1968. I wore them to Woodstock, walked the Arctic wilderness for four years, and I still have them and wear them! They have been resoled many times.
My receipe is 55% Beeswax, 45% petroleum jelly, Marvel Mystery oil, and a touch of Carnuba Oil.
When you put it on, it is thick and looks like it needs to be wiped off. As the boots are worn, the warmth of the body, and the movement of the boots, the lube is absorbed into the boots.
Yes, the brass side rings do turn green, but it wears off as the lube gets absorbed.
I still have those boots.

Cloudpeak
07-28-2009, 12:33 PM
http://www.lonestarholsters.com/page/1308865

One of the many links brought up by searching "care of leather holsters".