PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever try a lyman #68569 Minie Ball

lifeon2
07-26-2009, 09:07 AM
anyone ever try a lyman #68569 Minie Ball as a sabot slug? it is supposed to cast at .685 and 730 grains seems like it would be pretty workable.

Greg5278
07-26-2009, 09:21 AM
I have tried it before, the nose makes crimping without some thoughtful overshot cards impossible. It doesn't sit well in wads for accuracy either. The only success I had in a rifled barrel was to sleeve them in a section of older Federal 16Ga purple hull. Then they would take up the slack in the bore. You would have to find a hull with the same wall thickness as the ones I used. I wouldn't waste much time on it. You can get better slugs to play with and a whole lot less headaches. What kind of Gun , and bore are you shooting them in? Rifled or smooth?
Greg
AKA 12 Bore

lifeon2
07-26-2009, 10:11 AM
smooth bore, the thought occured to me as I was looking over some round ball loads (usually .690) seemed like the #68569 would have a better BC than some of the slugs out there. course if I could get my hands on a hundred or so I could doof with the loading then again I may just buy the mold and see how it works out

masscaster
07-29-2009, 12:21 AM
Here's my Modified .69 Minie. Better known as the "Boeing 767" because that's about what it weighs. These haven't been culled for quality, but i thought I'd throw them out here for a gander. This Minie has been used in the .69 Cal. smokepole on Moose, as you can see the Wadcutter type shoulder. It has also turned many a shotgun into an effecient Elk stopper. as you can see from the pic, loaded upside down with the nose cradled in a felt wad, and a pusher card the effective large HP will engage most large game species. This cast a round Minie at .690, with the shoulder being .600. A very effective 12 gauge Minie slug.
If anyone is interested in trying this projectile PM me for details. Also look in the WTS. This projectile IS NOT on my Price List at the Vendor Sponsor site.

[smilie=s:
Jeff @ Forefather's Casting

ppro
08-02-2009, 01:15 AM
What is your vendor sponsor site, and where do I find it....

Paul