PDA

View Full Version : 1908 Brazilian Mauser

RayinNH
03-25-2006, 11:59 PM
Gents, I went to my favorite gun shop today and spotted a 1908 Brazilian Mauser cal 7x57 made by DWM in Berlin. THe rifling appears to be pretty good ( deep and sharp). The crest is intact, it has a six pointed star with a B in the middle on the bolt side of the stock and a brass disc set in the stock. Does the brass disc signify the condition of the barrel as with a Swede Mauser? The cleaning rod was missing and the front screw on the rear sight was missing. It had minor rusting on the front of the barrel but I'm sure that would clean up with fine steel wool and oil. The action was still in the white as it should be. The stock had plenty of dings and dents, some of which would steam out, others would not, but no missing hunks. The stock also had a nice curly maple like figure to it. The numbers on the parts all matched. The gun has lots of character compared to new guns with the plastic finish on them. Do you feel that the $250 tag is to high?...Ray

StarMetal
03-26-2006, 12:00 AM
For an all matching numbers that's a decent buy.

Joe

RayinNH
03-26-2006, 12:04 AM
Joe, do you know what the brass disc is? It has an M or a 3 depend on which way it's viewed...Ray

StarMetal
03-26-2006, 02:13 AM
I haven't seen a Brazilian with a brass disc set in the stock. Mine has what I guess is a firingpin take down disc in the stock. Most the German 98's had one similar which looks like a disc with a fair size hole in the center. On my Brazilian it's a flat thick washer, with a tapered bore hole in the center and what appears to be a round panhead screw with two little holes in it. Definately different then the Germans Mausers.

Joe

StarMetal
03-26-2006, 02:24 AM
Ray,

I just found out what the disc is from Dennis Krepps who own Empire Arms. He said that is a Unit disc...tell what military unit the rifle belonged to. Not a bore measurement like the Swedes.

Joe

RayinNH
03-26-2006, 09:58 AM
Thanks Joe...Ray

Buckshot
03-27-2006, 11:12 PM
...................My M98/08 is one of the best shooting milsurp I own. The barrel is not bright, but has some shine and sharp lands with a good crown.

http://www.fototime.com/93DF7AC146DC001/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/FAE697FAF99DE7A/standard.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/D3A7BD464EE81B6/standard.jpg

None of the photos do justice to the rifle at all. Amazing craftsmanship for a combat rifle. Just the way they did things back then.

...................Buckshot

RayinNH
03-27-2006, 11:16 PM
Buckshot, that's a beauty. Did you refinish the stock? The one I've got on hold has graining similar to yours. I'll probably refinish to see if I can get some dents out of the wood...Ray

Buckshot
03-29-2006, 04:47 AM
Buckshot, that's a beauty. Did you refinish the stock? The one I've got on hold has graining similar to yours. I'll probably refinish to see if I can get some dents out of the wood...Ray

...............Nope, that's the way it came. Got 2 from RSI in Geneseo, IL in the mid 90's for $89 each. If I had a chance at another nice one now, for $250 I'd take it.

................Buckshot