PDA

View Full Version : 300gr XTP - 45 Colt

LeMat
07-25-2009, 09:48 PM
I've been searching for pet loads using the Hornady 300gr XTP in 45 Colt.

Seems that I've come up with huge variances in starting and max loads.

The only info I can find are for Speer FP's. Not sure that I want/can use the same load data for the XTP's. I'd rather find a recipe for this particular pill. I'd like to use H110. They're not for bear, but rather just decent defense loads.

These will be shot from a 4" Redhawk.

Thanks for any help. :mrgreen:

Heavy lead
07-25-2009, 10:24 PM
I would use the start loads for the Sierra at Hodgdon's websight. I've shot a lot of the Magnum 45 xtp, I believe Hornady makes two different bullets, one designed for the Casull and one with two crimp grooves for hot loads in the Colt. In the Redhawk you have one strong handgun. BTW that's a heck of a stout "defense" round, you could stack 'em up three deep, it will penatrate.

LeMat
07-25-2009, 10:41 PM
I've got the two-crimp groove style. They're labeled as .452", but I was under the assumption that jacketed bullets were generally .451". I figure these would be more at home in a .454, but I ain't got one and this is the first time I've loaded jacketed for 45 Colt. I've only loaded hard cast and cowboy action loads before.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I changed the Sierra to Speer.

I see that on their website, there is only a .4 difference in start and max for H110 for the 300 GR. SPR JFP. Running from 21.8 to 22.2.

I ran into some issues when crimping on the lower groove with some Cast Performance 300gr TCFP's as they would not fully chamber (fixed that by running them into a 44 mag sizing die ever so slightly - just enough to knock the shoulder down - that did the trick and they chambered fine).

Is the lower-most groove used when loading them for 454 and the top one for 45 Colt? I'd hate to run into pressure issues by using the wrong groove.

Wonder if I should be running another powder to bring them down a notch. H110 might be a bit too much for a "defense" round I guess. ;)

Heavy lead
07-25-2009, 10:50 PM
You should be able to load that in the Ruger crimped in the bottom groove. Make a dummy round and see if it will chamber. The reason the start load for H110 is not much less (WW296 will be the same too) is it is recommended not to reduce this load by more than 3%. As far as the powder not being suitable for defense, it's not so much the powder, but the bullet. That 300 grain XTP is a penatrator, I've shot pigs and deer with it. As far as the .452, no problem with that. Sierra's are .4515 and Speer run at .451, I've had better accuracy with the XTP than either of the others in Ruger 45's and 454's also.

dk17hmr
07-27-2009, 07:59 PM
I agree that the 300gr will be a bit much for defence, it would work but I would probably get a box of 200gr GoldDots thats what I carry in my ACP and I would work in the 45lc without a problem.

Heavy lead
07-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Mr. Lemat, I dug out my latest Hornady manual which is the fourth edition, they do not have a H110 load, but they do have a 296 load (which is so close if not identical, Hodgdon's data will back that up) with a start load of 17.3 grains and a max of 21.3 grains, quoted speed is 1100 fps for the start, 1300 fps for the max, primer is WLP test barrel is the contender with a 10" barrel, so your velocity should be less by quite a bit, you certainly should be able to seat the Hornady XTP in the bottom groove in the Redhawk, I would not hesitate to use that load in the Redhawk. Don't ever go below start with 296 and H110 according to the manufacturer and others will tell you that from experience too, in fact you will find your accuracy will increase as you increase powder charge to max.
Hope this helps.
This data is for Ruger and T/C guns only according to Hornady.

MtGun44
07-27-2009, 10:44 PM
H110 = W296, only lot to lot variation.

Bill

Frank
07-29-2009, 02:53 PM
H110 = W296, only lot to lot variation.

I'd ditch both. Short barrel needs a faster powder. :Fire:

Frank
07-29-2009, 03:06 PM
I agree that the 300gr will be a bit much for defence, it would work but I would probably get a box of 200gr GoldDots thats what I carry in my ACP and I would work in the 45lc without a problem.

Strong heavy Rugers are made for heavy bullets and a stiffer load. Why compromise and settle for less? :Fire:

felix
07-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Frank, a 4 inch barrel is enough in a revolter to get the full effect of 2400 thru 296 in terms of power. I wonder how many folks can shoot accurately with a 4 incher, heavy load or not. ... felix

dk17hmr
07-29-2009, 05:04 PM
Strong heavy Rugers are made for heavy bullets and a stiffer load. Why compromise and settle for less? :Fire:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/7.jpg

That is a recovered bullet fired from my carry weapon, that bullet was only pushed to about 900fps. I dont know if that is a compromise, given that bullet could hit 1400FPS out of a mid range 45LC load.

I carry the GoldDot because I know it will open up.

The 300gr XTP is a strong bullet ment for hunting thick skinned game whose to say it will do anything but punch through on anything less than.

Dont get me wrong if you want to load and use 300gr's for self defense go for it. It would work just fine, I know I wouldnt want to get hit by one. Just my opinion that there are better bullets for the purpose.

Frank
07-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Just my opinion that there are better bullets for the purpose.

What do you mean? So it doesn't go thru drywall? Ok, I get it. Home defense. Tactical shooting. I agree, the varmint bullet is best. One bullet's for big game. The other is for varmints. Right?

Heavy lead
07-29-2009, 08:42 PM
One of the best shooting pistoliver's I have is a Blackhawk 4 5/8" with a Bisley grip frame and hammer installed and that revolting aluminum ejector rod housing replaced with a steel one. And I shoot full loads of 296 with a 360 WLN boolit. Tell you what a lot is said about defense weapons, keep in mind LeMat may very well be in a cold climate where someone maybe wearing a bunch of clothes. Self defense can also mean for a bear, or whatever.
Use what shoots well, what you trust, and what you need. Then hope to god you never need to use it for that purpose.

softpoint
07-29-2009, 09:31 PM
That 23+ grains of 296-H110 with a 300 grain bullet ought to defend you against anything, human or beast. Different conditions might warrant different defensive loads. :drinks:

Frank
07-30-2009, 02:00 AM
And I shoot full loads of 296 with a 360 WLN boolit.
But that's a different gun. Different guns like different things.

LeMat
08-01-2009, 01:13 AM
Well, it seems that I may have opened a can of worms with this particular bullet. ;)

I have shot a number of heavy, hardcast pills that are intended for protection from bear and have a load that I am happy with in that area.

Perhaps 300's are a bit much for a defensive round and dk17hmr does make a good point in that regard. At the time, I was pretty limited in my options as to hollow point procurement with the ridiculous lack of ammo availablilty. I couldn't help but think that these hollowpoints weren't necessarily all that hollow. ;)

As to felix's comment, I don't know if that was aimed at me or not. I've been shooting competitively (IDPA, USPSA and CAS) off and on for a little over 20 years, more seriously for the last 8 or so. I've run a lot of drills with the Redhawk (shooting DA, not SA) and can keep all 6 in 4" at 25 yards with splits running about .3 using my bear loads (300gr Cast Performance LFNGC in front of 21.5gr of H110). When those splits spread out to .5 or so, that group shrinks down to about 3". I'm fairly confident that I can hit what I'm aiming at in a timely manner.

This is about the best I can do without having to actually go find a bear to piss off and induce a stressor that grunts and pops instead of beeps. In the end, all I can do is pray it never happens, but prepare for it as well as I can if it does. I'm open to any and all suggestions you might have in regards to a self defense scenario. ;)

Heavy lead, I really appreciate you taking the time to look up that information for me and will load some up using Hornady's data. I generally stay towards the top end with H110 as I've noticed the accuracy seems better there than at the bottom. I have also read the concerns regarding low charges with H110 and 296. I figured I would be hovering around 21.0, but wanted to hear what other's thoughts and experiences were with this particular bullet. Thanks again. :-D

Heavy lead
08-01-2009, 07:40 AM
Lemat, you're welcome. Good shooting.

Matt_G
08-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Here is the data from the sixth edition of the Hornady manual.
45 Colt (Ruger and T/C only)
Test gun was a Contender with a 10" barrel.
Winchester cases
Winchester WLP primers

300 gr. XTP-MAG and HP-XTP bullets. (#45235 and #45230 respectively)
WIN 296 powder
Start load: 17.9 grains (1050 fps)
Max load: 21.7 grains (1300 fps)

Just thought you might want the latest data from Hornady. :)

Frank
08-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Le Plet says
I've run a lot of drills with the Redhawk (shooting DA, not SA) and can keep all 6 in 4" at 25 yards with splits running about .3 using my bear loads (300gr Cast Performance LFNGC in front of 21.5gr of H110).

Great shooting. It sounds like your offhand shooting is close to bench work. What happens with the load when you move it out to 50 yds?

Dean D.
08-02-2009, 03:46 PM
FWIW here is my load for that bullet:

23.0 gr. H110 with CCI LP primers.
I have not Chrony'd this load but it is reportedly around 1400ish fps.

I shoot this in a RBH with 7 1/2" barrel and it is very accurate for me. I do not find any signs of high pressure after firing these rounds. I don't shoot them often as they are definitely stout. [smilie=1:

I found the load somewhere online when I was getting ready for an Alaska hunt and wanted something for bear protection.

Hope this helps. Dean D.

MtGun44
08-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Self defense agains bears. . . . . .

Significantly different requirements from "self defense against people, in town" which
is my guess how most folks (mis) understood the requirement.

Bill

Frank
08-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Sometimes it's kind of hard to tell the difference. At night, being all tired, things moving fast, better play it safe and use the bear load. :redneck:

MtGun44
08-03-2009, 12:21 AM
Hmmm....

I went back and reread the 1st post, and it said "Not for bear", and then later I swear it
said for bear.

Getting too late, apparently, for me.

Bill

Frank
08-03-2009, 12:59 AM
Tell you what a lot is said about defense weapons, keep in mind LeMat may very well be in a cold climate where someone maybe wearing a bunch of clothes. Self defense can also mean for a bear, or whatever.

I agree. And remember, a bear can RUN. So if you have to make a shot, you'll need 50 yd accuracy. Le Plet has the ability to shoot. But does he have the right load? That's why it must be 50-yard accurate. Unless the 4" barrel revolver is just a "last chance" type of weapon when the animal is on you, but then it's too late.

LeMat
08-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Great shooting. It sounds like your offhand shooting is close to bench work. What happens with the load when you move it out to 50 yds?

My splits certainly slow down. ;)

I agree. And remember, a bear can RUN. So if you have to make a shot, you'll need 50 yd accuracy. Le Plet has the ability to shoot. But does he have the right load? That's why it must be 50-yard accurate. Unless the 4" barrel revolver is just a "last chance" type of weapon when the animal is on you, but then it's too late.

In all reality, I imagine that I'll most likely be on the ground, feeding my left arm to the bear while trying to shoot it with my right (hopefully). I hadn't really given much thought as to having to engage one at 50 yards as it is very wooded here and you're basically on top of each other when you bump into one. One of those "Came around the corner...." kind of things. ;) My wife and I had one cross our trail not 20 yards in front of us a couple of years ago, look at us boringly, and went on his merry way. I'll never forget that.

Even with that being the case, you make a very good point in which I need to practice at longer distances.

LeMat
08-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Hmmm....

I went back and reread the 1st post, and it said "Not for bear", and then later I swear it
said for bear.

Getting too late, apparently, for me.

Bill

You're absolutely right Bill. I think I had come to the conclusion that this was not the best bullet for 2-legged critters and it just naturally progressed into the subject of bears.

Most all of my shooting has been IDPA, USPSA and CAS. I've been reloading for a number of years, but it's always been for these games. I've only started loading heavy hardcast for about 6 months now.

I'm here to learn about loading heavy, so it's all good. :D