PDA

View Full Version : First WW score and little smelting session

odinohi
07-25-2009, 08:30 PM
I bought some wheel weights today. First time. I gave the dude at the tire shop 33 cents a lb. 4 full three gallon buckets and one with about a third. He said it was about 470lbs. Does that sound right? Went to another tire shop and bought a almost full 5 gallon bucket for 30 dollars. Got them home and started sorting with a pair of sidecuts, what a menotenis(cant spell) job that is. I ended up sorting about a third of one of the 3 gallon buckets and only found a few zinc weights. So far none that had the zinc symbol. I already had a turkey cooker and my wife has a new dutch oven that she got from our daughter in law for xmas. You guessed it, "hell NO you cant use it". Went to our old camper and found a rusty old cast iron skillet. I thought it would be too big to fit down in the cooker, but Ola, it fit. Filled it about half full of the sorted ww's and cranked it up. According to my Lyman thermometer it only got up to 600 degrees. Used a slotted spatchula to skim out the clips and through in what little saw dust I had and found an old stick in the yard and stirred. Skimmed it again and used a tiny little ladle to pour into a muffin pan. This rocks, know I have a dozen lead muffins, but I do need to get some more equipment. Thanks for letting me rattle your ears, Tom

Trey45
07-25-2009, 08:48 PM
You have taken the 1st steps towards a life long addiction. Just wait till you have a thousand pounds of ingots and another thousand pounds of WW waiting to be ingotized. You'll STILL be looking for ww and other lead. Better start looking for a shed or build a bigger garage now before it's too late.

07-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Keep going, man!

By the way, it seems that the accumulation of casting equipment and supplies has no end point.

odinohi
07-25-2009, 09:36 PM
Keep going, man!

By the way, it seems that the accumulation of casting equipment and supplies has no end point.

Just like the reloading addiction that I'm still suffering from! Tom

greg gremlin
07-25-2009, 09:46 PM
I also scored at a tire shop. 3 3 gal buckets and I cherry picked all the big ww's he had. AND it was free!! I ran like a thief and added to my hoard. Like Smaug says......you can't have enough!! best, greg :castmine:

peter nap
07-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Your hooked!

jforwel
07-26-2009, 12:51 AM
It's good to see some WW scores. I picked up 7 gallons worth over the past two days. That was my first haul in several months.

UweJ
07-26-2009, 02:22 AM
odinohi,welcome to the club of lead addicts,itīs sure gonna be hard to be cured from it , lol. Nice to see someone starting a great new hobby.
Uwe

WHITETAIL
07-26-2009, 07:08 AM
greg and peter, Welcome to the forum!:drinks: