PDA

View Full Version : 1917 parts

NSP64
07-25-2009, 07:03 PM
I think I have a 1917 enfield receiver. It was so rusted that the markings in the front are non-existant. I have looked at parts breakdowns and think its a 1917 based on the safety, ejector setup. I found it in a box of 'junk' that was given to me. I have a complete bolt, ejector and some of the safety, plus trigger,sear, mag housing, trigger gaurd. The rear of the receiver didn't have the dog ears around the rear sight(or rear sight) so It kind of threw me as to make/model. I would like to get a barrel and stock to make a cast boolit only shooter. Anyone know of a place that sells parts/ barrels. I have been to numrich arms and they have some of the parts but I don't know if I want to pay for a millitary stock. If any has take down pics of their 1917 I would like to see if any of the other parts I have may be for this gun.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
07-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Sounds like the ears were removed in the past to make a sporter. Any gunsmith should be able to install a sporter barrel on that gun for you, just use a standard blank. caliber 30.06 would be the easiest, with .270 and other similar cartridges coming close behind. I'd go with the 30.06 if I wanted to shoot cast, due to it being .30 caliber, the right length case for the action and commonly available components.

USGI surplus barrels are just about gone and if you can find one, perhaps as expensive as a sporter barrel. You may also want to check the receiver ring at the barrel end for cracks.

Regards,

Dave

MtGun44
07-26-2009, 01:01 AM
There is also a commercial Winchester (IIRC) maybe model 54 ?? that is essentially the
same action without ears built as a hunting rifle. Might possibly be one of those, altho
LOTS were 'de-eared' and used for custom rifles.

Bill

Three44s
07-26-2009, 01:12 AM
The biggest bugaboo if it's a 1917 is that it may have a cracked receiver. The most prevalent of these bugger jobs were with the Eddystone's.

I'd have it checked out thoroughly.

The upside is if it's a 1917 and serviceable you've got one real stout receiver.

For cast, I doubt that you could beat a .35 Whelen.

I have one 1917 and thus far it's shooting very well so I hate to rebarrel something that's "not broke" but if it needed rebarreling, I would gravitate to the .35 bore size.

But you may also beat the bushes here in cast boolits and see if a serviceable '06 barrel jumps out at you for a reasonable price (someone that could have stuck with '06) that could not stand to be without a .35.

Enjoy

Three 44s

NSP64
07-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Here are some pics.

I just need to order some small parts from numrich and find a barrel with those type of threads. Plan on shooting cast, thinking 30-06(availability of molds) but may do something different. depends what barrel I find. anyone got onre they don't need.

45nut
07-26-2009, 10:17 AM
There is also a commercial Winchester (IIRC) maybe model 54 ?? that is essentially the
same action without ears built as a hunting rifle. Might possibly be one of those, altho

Bill

Remington actually,, the Model 30. And they also made a contract run for Honduras in 7x57 marked as the Model 34,, my 35 Whelen is built on a #34.

The Enfields are a square thread,, I have a few, but for some reason many gunsmiths pass on cutting square threads, And when looking for used barrels,, also a problem because many were cut in front of the receiver to ease removal and save the action from cracking as noted above.
I know for a fact Pac-Nor will supply pre-threaded barrels for the American Enfield, I have 2 of them.

elk hunter
07-26-2009, 10:51 AM
NSP64,

You have a PM.

Hardcast416taylor
07-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Try pulling up on your computer E.R. Shaw web site for barrels and installation. I have made up quite a few `17 Enfields using Shaw barrels.Robert

flounderman
07-26-2009, 12:11 PM
the pattern 14 was made in 303 british and has a magnum size bolt face. you need to check the bolt face to see if it is a standard 30-06 size or a larger, magnum size. they were making the pattern 14 for england before we entered ww 2, and made a few minor changes and produced a 1917. mostly different magazine box and bolt face. if you have the trigger guard, has it been straightened, and is flat at the front tang, or does it still have the dog leg?

NSP64
07-26-2009, 12:46 PM
the pattern 14 was made in 303 british and has a magnum size bolt face. you need to check the bolt face to see if it is a standard 30-06 size or a larger, magnum size. they were making the pattern 14 for england before we entered ww 2, and made a few minor changes and produced a 1917. mostly different magazine box and bolt face. if you have the trigger guard, has it been straightened, and is flat at the front tang, or does it still have the dog leg?

It looks straight. The boltface holds a 06 case nicely:-D

scb
07-26-2009, 02:01 PM

Bill

Remington model 30s and 720

Frank46
07-26-2009, 07:29 PM
Try kreiger barrels, I believe that they sell a barrel for the 1917 enfield that is the same style as the one origionally on your receiver. These are button rifled barrels. Hope this helps. Frank

fj3fury
07-26-2009, 10:05 PM
If Numerich is out check out Springfield Sporters.

MtGun44
07-27-2009, 01:23 AM
45nut and scb,

Thanks for the correction, I'll try to file that info away.
The remains of "1917" stamped on the side of the
receiver is pretty conclusive, it would seem to be a
US M1917 with an "ear job".

Bill

Four Fingers of Death
07-28-2009, 12:30 AM
I think that action needs to go to action heaven. You could pass on and someone have it blow up on them. I'd be putting the action under the drop saw and selling or using the bits in another action. They are a nice old rifle, but not worth riskingh yours or someone else's life for.