PDA

View Full Version : What is the best scout scope?

brianintheup
07-25-2009, 01:44 PM
What is the best affordable scout scope for your old mauser rifles? By affordable I mean 100 to 200 dollars.

yondering
07-25-2009, 02:01 PM
The best is the Leupold. I don't know of any within your price range.

Larry Gibson
07-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Yup, the best are Leupold and Burris (I have both). Many use cheaper handgun scopes but most of the fixed power ones have too long of eye relief. This adversely affects the position the scope is supposed to be in for proper eye relief. With a properly mounted scout scope the reticle should just "be there" when the head assumes a proper stock weld. Most cheaper mounts put the scope too high and if a pistol scope is used the eye relief is too long. This causes you to search for the reticle up and down and back and forth. This negates the handiness and quickness of the "scout" concept. It is also the reason why many who have "tried a scout" didn't find it quicker than a normal scope and did not like it. A properly mounted true scout scope is very quick and nice indeed. Perhap not the "do-all" the COL Cooper made it out to be but none the less a very worthwile sight arraingement. Especially for those with older eyes. I currently have 3 rifles in scout configuraton with true scout scopes on them and another two rifles with red dot sights in scout configuration. Plus I've also considerable experience with an M1A, a M94 and a M1 Carbine with scout scopes on them. I like the concept and find scout rifles very useful for certain shooting applications.

I suggest you continue to save $ and get a true Leupold or Burris scout scope. You will not regret it.

Larry Gibson

LGS
07-25-2009, 04:39 PM
I have Burris 2 3/4 Scout Scope on my rifle . I purchased it in 1994 for my 30-06 Scout. I shot the barrel out and replaced it with a 308 Win and I am still using the same scope. Scope has been through a lot of hunting including a trip to South Africa. Spend the extra for a good one, it will be worth it.

leadman
07-26-2009, 12:07 AM
Check CDNN sports for the 2x7 pistol scope. I have 2 of these on rifles in the scout position. Not perfect, but work very well. Under a $100.

I know they have a mount for the Mosin that is very inexpensive, don't remember about the Mausers.

brianintheup
07-26-2009, 05:28 AM
Does anyone have any experience with Leatherwood/ Hi-Lux optics? They have a 3-9x40 Ler scope for $110. They list the eye relief as 8.5 to 13.

DanM
07-27-2009, 03:02 PM
I just ordered this scout mount: http://www.tickbitesupply.com/mount.html#mauser, for my
M48. I have a 4x Luepold pistol scope sitting in the safe that came off a Contender barrel. Not a real scout scope, but I am hoping that it will work for load development. I have one of those 2-7x NCStar scopes on a .223 Contender barrel. Works fine for that low recoil application. Will let you know how the mount and scope work out. Should have it all together for a test this weekend.....

BD
07-27-2009, 03:47 PM
I have the leupold mounted as low as it can go on a cut down '96 swede. It's been there about 12 years, maybe 500 rounds?, and it's never given me an issue. Maybe more impressive than the round count is the 8 years it spent behind the seat of my truck bouncing around on the dirt roads north of Greenville, ME. It held together better than the truck did :) I don't see the point in a variable power set up "scout" style, or even anything much over 2 power. To me the idea is that the scope is just sort of "there". You don't even think about it consciously, you just pull it up and shoot. It's more like setting up a shotgun than a typical scoped rifle. You need to get the length of pull, drop in the stock, and the scope height correct so it fits you.
BD

Junior1942
07-27-2009, 04:34 PM
In early mornings and late evenings, you'll be glad you spent the extra $ for a Leupold or a Burris. VOE talkin'!

yondering
07-27-2009, 07:03 PM
For a good scout scope mount, check out the Mauser mount available from XS sight systems. http://www.xssights.com/store/scope.html (Scroll to the bottom of the page). It replaces the rear sight on military mauser barrels, but can also be used on sporter barrels on pretty much any bolt action, if the barrel OD is turned down to fit it. I have done this with 2 different 30-06 sporter barrels now, and can testify that this is a rock solid mount, and worth the money. It is a one piece aluminum ring that goes all the way around the barrel, instead of clamping to the top.

jonk
07-27-2009, 07:21 PM
I have an NC star on my Mosin 91/30. Cost $80. LER rifle scope, not a handgun scope.

They're not the best but I'm not buying a Leupold, Burris, etc. for a $59 gun.

Larry Gibson
07-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Jonk

I look at it as I'm not buying the better scope for the cheaper rifle, I'm buying the better scope for me to shoot what ever I put it on better. Besides, if one likes the "scout" concept and decides to up grade to a better quality rifle then one already has the scope. Putting poor wannabe scout scopes on rifles leads to frustrations and dillusions that the scout concept is not valid.

I've a couple rifles that are now scouts that started out as "cheap" rifles; a M91 Mauser that I paid $65 for and a M36 Swede that i paid $89 for. Both are now very godd and function rifles that get a lot of very enjoyable use. Has putting the correct scout scope on them made them worth more, no it hasn't in terms of $s but it certainly has in terms of usefulness to me.

Larry Gibson

DanM
07-29-2009, 05:23 PM
In case you are having trouble getting the sight off your K98, I just discovered the trick. The pin doesn't actually hold the sight in place. I tapped the pin out, but the sight wouldn't come loose. Called my gunsmith and he gave me the info. The sight must be pushed down against the spring, and then to the rear, and it comes right out. This was on my M48, but I am pretty sure the sight is the same....

DanM
08-05-2009, 10:15 AM
Following up on the scout scope, I tried the Leupold 4x, but did not even mount it. Eye relief was too long. Put my head off the end of the stock. So, I took the NCstar 2-7x off the .223 Contender barrel, and that scope does allow for good head position on the stock. Eye relief is a lot shorter, and it is working fairly well for now. The cheapo mount is working too, but I don't have much confidence in its durability. The mount requires some releif of the handgard if the supplied screw is used, to clear the head and large nut. I was unwilling to cut any wood, and was able to install using set screws with no heads. The mount is held in place by the spring and one cross screw, so it has a 'see-saw' tendancy and is locked in place with large set screws fore and aft. No 'top hat' fitting to secure the rear, as is found on many better scout mounts. We put 60+ rounds through the set up on Monday, and the zero was still good. Will see how it holds up....

frank505
08-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Leupold makes a good one, the 308 Remington is now on barrel number two. The scope stays zeroed and responds to turret movement in a predictable way. The only time it lost zero is when the gun was standing upright and fell to a concrete floor. Dinged the eyepiece a little also. Ran out to the range and the darn thing shot one inch lower than before the fall. Try that all you variable scope users!!

bcp477
08-05-2009, 07:10 PM
My sportered M48 with Swift Premium 4 x 32 LER scope fell over on a concrete floor....hard enough to severely dent in the windage cap on the scope. No other damage to the scope, except a small scratch. Absolutely NO change of zero, however. I was amazed - but certainly happy about that. Leupold aren't the only ones that build good, sturdy scopes, after all.

Larry Gibson
08-05-2009, 09:11 PM
DanM

The Leupold Scout scope is not a pistol scope as was the 4X you tried. The actual Leupold Scout scopes are 2.5X and have 9" to 17" eye relief. I find them to be right at 10 to 11" for me giving a full field view at that distance. This will put the ocular lens just over the front ring on a medium length action like a M700, the Savage, K98 or a SR Mauser like the M96. That is about perfect for a normal stock weld. The next trick is to get the scope mounted as low as possible to the fron reciever ring.

The Leupold 4x pistol scopes have an eye relief closer to 16-18" for me. That is about right for a pistol held at arms length with both hands but is too long for a scout scope as you've found out.

Larry Gibson

BABore
08-06-2009, 08:49 AM
I started out with a Burris 1.75x Scout scope. Mounted it real low with Warne QD lever rings on a Marlin 450 GG. It worked great and was easy to hit with. I eventually grew dissatisfied with it when hunting. It has a 26mm objective. The longer distance to your eye, combined with the small objective, made first/last light shooting real tough. Especially when in the dark timber. I swapped it out with a Burris 2-7x32 pistol scope that has Posi-Lock and the BallistiPlex reticle. I didn't have to go to a higher ring with this setup. Eye relief is similar until I crank it up past 6x. Not a big deal as I only do this from the bench. At 2-4x, I find no difference or problems. Dusk in the woods is also much improved. Pistol scopes will work, but you must do your homework on them to match eye relief. Doing this on the cheap is not usually the answer. You can generally get a better eye relief situation when your in the 1-3x range. True 1x dot sights are also a good solution if you don't mind being tied to a battery. They always seem to go dead at the most inopurtune time.

DanM
08-06-2009, 05:27 PM
Larry....I wanted to try what I had on hand, the 4x Lupe pistol scope was just laying there, begging to be used, but as you know the eye releif was too long for scout mount use. The NCstar 2-7 pistol scope is working for now. At 2-4x I am at a natural position with my head on the stock normally. I just want the scope for load development. Will likely take it off sooner or later. The 4x is now mounted on the .223 contender barrel....

frank505
08-07-2009, 01:20 PM
I think I read Leupold will install the heavy duplex reticule in their scout scope. Hmmmmmmm

Larry Gibson
08-08-2009, 12:09 PM
DanM

That's great! That method of using a variable pistol scope at a power setting that gives proper eye relief works as you've found. Let us know how you do with the scout. After load development try some practical (not to be confused with "tactical") shooting from a non bench position at various ranges. Take a little time "snapping in" to get used to it and then shoot quick aimed shots at various targets. You will then begin to get the feel of the true value of a "scout". Just shooting from a bench as many do does not.

Larry Gibson