PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Sights for SBH.

Bigscot
07-25-2009, 12:12 PM
Does anyone know who makes a good reliable hunting sight for a Super Blackhawk. The factory sights don't work too well in low light conditions.

Thanks,

Bigscot

outdoorfan
07-25-2009, 01:09 PM
I like the Bowen Rough Country rear sight. It has the nice white outline to help use as a reference point to keep things centered. It's also built like a tank, and it offers adjustments in much smaller increments than standard rear sights do.

As to the front sight, a hi-viz in orange worked real well for me, while I was using it. Now I have a front sight made out of brass. It stands out real well, darkening in bright conditions, and brightening up in dim conditions. Works perfect, and it's much stronger than those hi-viz ones.

45nut
07-25-2009, 01:25 PM
I like the "One Ragged Hole" peep, available for any Ruger, tho mine is on my BFR.

outdoorfan
07-25-2009, 01:33 PM
I like the "One Ragged Hole" peep, available for any Ruger, tho mine is on my BFR.

A few years ago I tried that because it seemed to be the rage at the time. For whatever reason, I couldn't hit anything with it. Not for everyone, I suppose. I like the concept, though.

Bigscot
07-25-2009, 02:45 PM
I have a ORH sight I used on a Mark 2. I was not able to hit with it as well. Plus it is still not great in low light. They are a good idea though. I also had one on a M94.

Bigscot

archmaker
07-25-2009, 05:46 PM
I like the ORH with a fiber optic on the front especially in low light. Even with the sun down for 20 minutes the fiber optic is bright and green>

arcticbreeze
07-25-2009, 08:58 PM

+1, I love mine

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=710

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=708

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=714

Lloyd Smale
07-26-2009, 05:58 AM
I like the bowen rear but the target model. The rough country tends to get loose under recoil. In the front i like a plain black blade that is flat not ramped and i like them thinned to .10. Clements makes a good front like this that will pin right into a stainless ruger. What ive found is that all the fancy colared sights wash out a couple minutes after black in low light and what really helps is a thin blade that you can see light between the thinned blade and the sides of the rear sight. ANother option is Clements will make you the same blade with a trinium insert in it. He made one for one of my marlin rifles and it works great. I had him stack two trinium inserts end to end to make it appear to be one bar the whole height of the sight blade.

44man
07-26-2009, 07:51 AM
I gave up open sights of any kind long ago. Also scopes. I went to red dots for hunting deer although I can hit squirrels better with open sights, it is lighter out when I hunt them.
Even a brass front sight on my muzzle loader turned into a ball of fire in the woods, anything that glows sucks to get alignment with.
Some of the worst for me are the plastic inserts in a Baughman ramp.
Flat black sharp sights are always better but disappear early and late.