PDA

View Full Version : 44 magnum

Leadlum
03-25-2006, 06:18 PM
I`m looking to load some 44 mag cases, with a RCBS 250-SWC-K at around 750fps-1000fps. I have a S&W 629. I`m looking for.
1.clean powder [so it don`t get under the ejection star]
2.posistion and temp insensitive.
3.Good for cast bullets with no gas checks.
4.Accurate.
I have used alot of powders; I`m just asking what is everyone eles favorite powders are?

C A Plater
03-25-2006, 06:46 PM
Universal Clays and Blue Dot for my mid-to-low-warmish loads. Both burn clean for me. Universal has higher pressure than Blue Dot loads of the same velocity but leaves less unburned residue. Crimping well helps.

KTN
03-25-2006, 06:51 PM
VV 3N37 and VV N110 have worked good for me.My loads have been bit hotter than 750-1000 fps,but they are both clean burning and accurate.These are my favourites with magnum handguns.

Kaj

beagle
03-25-2006, 10:44 PM
For a good clean burning load in that range, look at WW231.

I thought 231 was a powder for smaller cases until I traded for 4 pounds nce and it's a great .44 Mag powder./beagle

Larry Gibson
03-25-2006, 10:56 PM
I`m looking to load some 44 mag cases, with a RCBS 250-SWC-K at around 750fps-1000fps. I have a S&W 629. I`m looking for.
1.clean powder [so it don`t get under the ejection star]
2.posistion and temp insensitive.
3.Good for cast bullets with no gas checks.
4.Accurate.
I have used alot of powders; I`m just asking what is everyone eles favorite powders are?

The RCBS 250 gr bullet out of my 4" Anaconda runs 750 fps over 5 gr Bullseye and is extremely accurate. Same bullet over 8.5 gr Unique runs 926 fps and also is quite accurate. Both run about 30 fps faster in the 6" Hawes.

Clean powder? I buy it new so I 'spose it's clean. Anyways I find shooting cast bullets with a good lube is dirty enough so's I clean the revolver after shooting. Haven't found any other powders that really make a difference in cleaning so I use what is accurate and consistant from lot to lot.

Larry Gibson

9.3X62AL
03-26-2006, 12:56 AM
Yeah, powder flakes getting under the extractor star annoys me too. I keep a "GI Toothbrush" for the M-16 ready at hand when shooting D/A wheelguns, because FLAKES WILL LAND THERE.

WW-231 seems to do it a lot less than Unique or Herco, and Bullseye lands in the middle between those two "clutter ranges". These 4 fuels are my favorites for taming the Magnum wheelguns into Special-level performance with Magnum cases, with WW-231 leading the pack.

There is a lot of satisfaction to be gained while shooting any of the Magnums or the 45 Colt with "standard weight" plain-based SWC's at 800-900 FPS. Kids can usually handle them without much stress, ladies enjoy them mightily, and I like the all-day-long recoil levels that such loads provide. Few things turn off new shooters more quickly and permanently than the bark and bite of full-house Magnum handguns, and the mid-range loads make for a MUCH more pleasant introduction to big-bore Magnum revolvers.

Bug
03-26-2006, 09:38 AM
Leadlum,
One little thing an old hand taught me, a loooong time ago. When you eject the cases, do so with the barrel pointing straight up. This will keep this problem to a minimum. Doesn't sound like much, but it sure works for me.

MT Gianni
03-26-2006, 12:23 PM
It's on the upper end of the range you are after but you might look into Green Dot and search this and the old Aimoo forum for post's, or ask Shuz to jump in. 6-7 grains gave me good accuracy but did not chrono it. Guess-ta-mation was to be 1000 fps. Gianni.

Bucks Owin
03-26-2006, 02:06 PM
Yeah, powder flakes getting under the extractor star annoys me too. I keep a "GI Toothbrush" for the M-16 ready at hand when shooting D/A wheelguns, because FLAKES WILL LAND THERE.

WW-231 seems to do it a lot less than Unique or Herco, and Bullseye lands in the middle between those two "clutter ranges". These 4 fuels are my favorites for taming the Magnum wheelguns into Special-level performance with Magnum cases, with WW-231 leading the pack.

There is a lot of satisfaction to be gained while shooting any of the Magnums or the 45 Colt with "standard weight" plain-based SWC's at 800-900 FPS. Kids can usually handle them without much stress, ladies enjoy them mightily, and I like the all-day-long recoil levels that such loads provide. Few things turn off new shooters more quickly and permanently than the bark and bite of full-house Magnum handguns, and the mid-range loads make for a MUCH more pleasant introduction to big-bore Magnum revolvers.

Excellent post and very true. My wife and teenage daughter enjoy shooting my ol' 10" Flattop .44 when velocities are held to around 850 fps. They don't even like to WATCH (or listen) when the 1450 fps stuff heads downrange! And I have to admit that after a couple of groups worth of those kinda loads I'm ready to throttle back to around 1100 fps....
Same thing in .357....

Dennis :Fire:

lovedogs
03-27-2006, 12:32 AM
Beagle's right. 231 is good for reduced vel. loads in .44's and it's pretty clean burning. Bug is also correct. Something we learned in defensive pistol training was to tip the muzzle up. There are several good reasons for this and keeping residue out of things can be one of them.

Leadlum
03-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Thanks guys; I`m trying Unique right now. It`s alot cleaner than before. I Always Do keep the muzzle up when ejecting. Old Habbit.
Got my eyes on 231, and uni clays for next time when this can of unique drys up.
But keep the suggestions coming in. Looks like all the literature mentions using unique when trying reduced loads. But thats only what I`ve read. I`ve tried.
1.] Red Dot
2.] Tite-group
3.] American Select
4.] Blue Dot
5.] unique
Thats all I can think of now off the top of my head. They all worked except Blue Dot. That one likes to be loaded with more presure [mag loads or high med]. Tite group seemed to discolor my brass.