PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Swedish Mausers

Molly
07-25-2009, 03:40 AM
There's a couple near mint for sale in the swaping and selling forum, if you're interested ...

Dutchman
07-25-2009, 03:43 PM
FYI neither are anything "near mint". The photos you put up don't show enough of anything for anyone to make a determination of exactly what it is you're offering.
Both have dinged stocks. One has a mis-matched handguard (wood mis-matches).
Out of 7 photos 3 of them are so out of focus as to be worthless.

I'm issuing an invitation for anyone interested to reply that a rifle meeting the discription(s) given would be worth at least XXX to him.

I'm not speechless at this [expletive]. But I couldn't find enough non-profane adjectives to fill in the blank spaces. It would be nice if there were posting standards for WTS that required a price, as is with most other forums.

At least, I saw them unpacked and I've not fired them. So go figure what kind of shape they're in. They could be among the best, if not the best left in the country.

Go figure? A potential buyer shouldn't have to "go figure". He should be able to count on the seller making an honest effort to describe the rifles and provide visible evidence via photographs to back up his word.. since his word is in serious question.

They could be? (they're not even close)

I'm most sorry to be making this post when I have to depart for Kansas today and won't be back for a week or so.

Dutch
http://dutchman.rebooty.com
Swedish Mausers

Molly
07-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Well Dutchman, they are exactly as described as nearly as I can figure: Immaculate metal, and stocks with minor, easily repairable dings and scratches. If that's not near enough to qualify as 'near' mint in your eyes, you're welcome to spend the next 5 or 10 years looking for something better.

Re the quality of the photo's: Sorry, but I'm not, nor did I ever claim to be a skilled photographer. They're still useful enough to see the quality of the items described. Or you're welcome to drop by and take a look in person. Mismatched wood? No. The color may not match,but it's exactly as provided by the Sweds. Haven't had it apart, but if it isn't stamped to match underneath, it'll be the only item on the rifle that isn't matched.

And recall the ultimate resolution of differing expectations: Participation is optional.

Dutchman
07-25-2009, 05:43 PM
Well Dutchman, they are exactly as described as nearly as I can figure: Immaculate metal, and stocks with minor, easily repairable dings and scratches. If that's not near enough to qualify as 'near' mint in your eyes, you're welcome to spend the next 5 or 10 years looking for something better.

Re the quality of the photo's: Sorry, but I'm not, nor did I ever claim to be a skilled photographer. They're still useful enough to see the quality of the items described. Or you're welcome to drop by and take a look in person. Mismatched wood? No. The color may not match,but it's exactly as provided by the Sweds. Haven't had it apart, but if it isn't stamped to match underneath, it'll be the only item on the rifle that isn't matched.

And recall the ultimate resolution of differing expectations: Participation is optional.

Participation... hmmm... I feel a responsibility to potential buyers of Swedish Mausers to point out the obvious flaws in both your description and your attitude.

Dings & scratches do not indicate "mint" anything. I see more than dings. I see abuse dents in front of the lower band (the one with the lighter stock).

The color may not match,but it's exactly as provided by the Sweds.

No. The handguard has been changed out at some point. Its not "original" to manufacture. It may be stamped to match but that doesn't mean the same as what you mean by "matching". And since you've not even ascertained that the handguard is, in fact, stamped to match I think you're sticking your neck out a wee bit further than your experience will support.

I don't need to spend 5 or 10 years searching for primo Swedes. I've been into Swedish Mausers since 1968. If you know of a more knowledgeable collector or researcher of Swedish Mausers please invite him over to review your offerings.

Mike in Colorady said:

when the swedes came out, the first i saw were $145 at the cross roads gun show at del mar.

The Swedes "first" came out prior to 1968. But the bulk of them came in starting in circa 1987. And they weren't $145. They were $39.95 and then $69.95 and then $89.95 and so on. In late 1997 a VG m/96 was $90 from SOG in Ohio.

Really, the problem is "as near as you can figure". When people use that word "mint" or "minty" its usually because they have no experience. What I see are, at best, two m/38 that are NRA Good+ based on what you're showing.. which isn't enough. And based on your attitude I would advise any potential buyer to discount most of what the seller is claiming as it appears to be inaccurate.

The caliber of Swedish Mausers is 6.5x55. And they're a lot longer than 4.25" long. The way you're describing the disc markings is so obtuse I have no idea what you're talking about and if I can't figure it out how do you expect a potential buyer to know what you're saying? For the sake of Mikey educate yourself: http://dutchman.rebooty.com/disc.html

Dutch

Molly
07-25-2009, 07:33 PM
[QUOTE=Dutchman;621652]Participation... hmmm... I feel a responsibility to potential buyers of Swedish Mausers to point out the obvious flaws in both your description and your attitude.

Dings & scratches do not indicate "mint" anything. I see more than dings. I see abuse dents in front of the lower band (the one with the lighter stock).

Nor did I claim mint. I claimed "near mint", and then defined what I meant by that term.

No. The handguard has been changed out at some point. Its not "original" to manufacture. It may be stamped to match but that doesn't mean the same as what you mean by "matching". And since you've not even ascertained that the handguard is, in fact, stamped to match I think you're sticking your neck out a wee bit further than your experience will support.

Possibly. Keep my warranty in mind.

I don't need to spend 5 or 10 years searching for primo Swedes. I've been into Swedish Mausers since 1968. If you know of a more knowledgeable collector or researcher of Swedish Mausers please invite him over to review your offerings.

You're welcome to drop by. I'll post your imprressions with my own.

Mike in Colorady said:

Really, the problem is "as near as you can figure". When people use that word "mint" or "minty" its usually because they have no experience. What I see are, at best, two m/38 that are NRA Good+ based on what you're showing.. which isn't enough. And based on your attitude I would advise any potential buyer to discount most of what the seller is claiming as it appears to be inaccurate.

As for my attitude, keep my warranty in mind: If you don't like what you get, you don't own it: I guarrantee not only full refund, but a timely one as well.

The caliber of Swedish Mausers is 6.5x55. And they're a lot longer than 4.25" long. The way you're describing the disc markings is so obtuse I have no idea what you're talking about and if I can't figure it out how do you expect a potential buyer to know what you're saying?

They are 44.25" long. And yes, they'rre 6.5x54. Don't have a stroke over a mis-print.

Never claimed any expertese in disk markings. I simply reprted what an inexperienced (obviously) person could see on the disk, and hoped for the best.

Seriously, my descriptions are as honest as I know how to make them. If they are inadequate, you can take some confort that at the least, you will be looking over a darn fine rifle, and if youdon't like it, the paltry fee of returning it will get you a full refund.

Frankly, these wouldn't be for sale at all, if my wife hadn't fallen and broken her back in three places. And I don't need any further problems to deal with than I have. I'm withdrawing all of them as of today, and cancelling the auction.

There. That didn't take long to resolve, did it? Participation really IS optional - in both directions.

Enjoy.

Molly
07-25-2009, 07:39 PM
[QUOTE=Dutchman;621652]Participation... hmmm... I feel a responsibility to potential buyers of Swedish Mausers to point out the obvious flaws in both your description and your attitude.

Nor did I claim mint. I claimed "near mint", and then defined what I meant by that term.

Possibly. Keep my warranty in mind.

You're welcome to drop by. I'll post your imprressions with my own.

Mike in Colorady said:

Keep my warranty in mind: If you don't like what you get, you don't own it: I guarrantee not only full refund, but a timely one as well.

The caliber of Swedish Mausers is 6.5x55. And they're a lot longer than 4.25" long. The way you're describing the disc markings is so obtuse I have no idea what you're talking about and if I can't figure it out how do you expect a potential buyer to know what you're saying?

Never claimed any expertese in disk markings. I simply reprted what an inexperienced (obviously) person could see on the disk, and hoped for the best.

Seriously, my descriptions are as honest as I know how to make them. If they are inadequate, you can take some confort that at the least, you will be looking over a darn fine rifle, and if youdon't like it, the paltry fee of returning it will get you a full refund.

Frankly, these wouldn't be for sale at all, if my wife hadn't fallen and broken her back in three places. And I don't need any further problems to deal with than I have. I'm withdrawing all of them as of today, and cancelling the auction.

There. That didn't take long to resolve, did it? Participation really IS optional - in both directions.

Enjoy.