PDA

View Full Version : Micrometer disassembly

cheese1566
07-25-2009, 12:24 AM
I just got the used micrometer from Geraldo. I started to clean it up and was able to disassemble to the point where the main barrel and lock nut are the only thing left on the iron "horseshoe". I would like to repaint the horseshoe section of the body (minus the area of measuring contact) as it is rusty and missing a large percentage of paint.

Is the barrel pressed in or threaded into the horshoe body and will it come apart (normally)?

If it doesn't, I may just wire brush it with a Dremel and then maybe cold blue it or carefully paint it. It is still very serviceable and has many years of life in it, so I plan on being careful and won't go too far in the chance of mucking it up.

deltaenterprizes
07-25-2009, 08:42 AM
It is pressed in,but don't remove it. You may not reinstall it correctly and ruin the mic. Mask the barrel and plug the holes on both ends to protect the fine threads inside.

Shiloh
08-01-2009, 03:35 PM
It is pressed in,but don't remove it. You may not reinstall it correctly and ruin the mic. Mask the barrel and plug the holes on both ends to protect the fine threads inside.

Yup.

Without seeing it I would have to go along with this analysis. If you proceed further, the chances of irreversible damage as well as calibration issues are multiplied.

Fix it the best you can and roll with it!!

Shiloh

Calamity Jake
08-04-2009, 09:26 AM
You didn't remove the fixed anvil on the end of the horseshoe did you?

If you did, then when replaced it will not be the parrallel with the moveable anvil and will have to be lapped in and recaliberated. If you didn't then you are in good shape.

cheese1566
08-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Here it is before and after:

I left the pieces pressed in and taped it up to blast. Then painted with RustOleum Charcoal Hammered Finish. I cleaned the tips by lightly closing the ends together on 800 wet/dry paper and then pulling the paper out slowly, doing this several times until the ends were nice and clean. I learned about that tip from a retired Homestake Mine machinist. After assembly I double checked it against my RCBS electronic mic on several items, including a feeler gauge.

How did I do?