PDA

View Full Version : So help me figure this out

cabezaverde
07-24-2009, 09:50 PM
It's funny the things that pop into your mind when you are not thinking about it.

I have a 4 5/8 Ruger 45 convertible with the somewhat common too short front sight. I found this myself, and had a number of others shoot the gun with the same results.

Lately I have been researching fixes - and here is what popped into my conscious mind.

I bought this gun well used at a gun show. It has some honest wear, and it has clearly been shot plenty (trigger and action smooth as silk).

So how did the previous owner shoot this thing so much without this front sight thing driving him crazy??

Never thought about this before, and now I am puzzled.

Mark K
07-24-2009, 10:06 PM
only shot it once then sold it, there were just a bunch of them. :~)

Heavy lead
07-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Different load, such as a shorter length of time in barrel load? Or very light load?
Different, tighter, stronger grip?
Aftermarket oversize grip?
Fired at longer range?
Different hold on target?
Just thoughts.
My wife always tells me I answer questions with questions.

runfiverun
07-24-2009, 10:37 PM
if he were point shootingh for speed at cowboy targets that sure would splain a lot, eh?

Johnch
07-24-2009, 10:42 PM
A fast light bullet will hit lower than a heavy slow bullet

It all has to do with the time the bullet spends in the barrel
More time allows the muzzel to rise with recoil

Try a 200 gr SWC designed for the 45ACP
It works well in my 45 Ruger convertable

John

HeavyMetal
07-24-2009, 11:49 PM
It also has a lot to do with the eye sight of the last owner.

Each of us "see's" differently from everyone else. This is why fixed sight guns don't always shoot to POI for everyone.

I learned this a long time ago when I sold a friend a 22 pistol. This was one of those Luger copies that were imported in the 60's, I believe it was an Erma.

I found it used in a gun shop in the OC and bought it because it was a true Luger type toggle action it was a 22 and it was all steel not an aluminum pot metal gun!

It only worked 100% with stingers and yellow Jackets ( the then new Hyper Velocity stuff) and that didn't bother me.

What did bother me was the fact that it shot about 2 foot right at 15 yards! Now this particular piece had a dove tailed front sight so I figured I'd move it and adjust the sight picture POI accordingly.

This idea worked great until the front sight fell off just as I got the group centered!

I piddled around with the front sight for a lot of months and just couldn't get it to look right and have the groups centered.

One afternoon the guy I sold it to bumped into me at the range saw it and thought it was cool!

I explained the issue and he asked to shoot it. At this point I will explain he'd had a an injury as a child and his right eye and cheek carried the scar from the "accident".

Low and behold with the front sight set in the middle of the barrel this thing shot dead nuts on for him! Go figure!

It was useless to me as it was, but still cool looking, I was offered what I paid for it and it went some place that it was appreicated! Saw him last month and he still has the gun.

Win win for everyone in the end and it taught me that not everyone shoots the same or see's the sights the same.

So the last guy to own the Ruger may have never noticed a problem with the front sight because he didn't have one.

gon2shoot
07-25-2009, 01:56 AM
Sounds like you already have your answer from these guys.

I have a fixed sight Ruger that I was gonna file the sights on cause I couldnt hit squat. The wife picked it up and shot 5 shots touching ( dont piss her off at 50yds either), as has been said, grip, loads, etc.etc. all change where the gun shoots. [smilie=1:

yondering
07-25-2009, 02:22 AM
I vote for the slow heavy boolit answer. If your load is a slow heavy boolit, say a 300gr at 850 fps, it will shoot higher than the sights will adjust for. Try moving to a more standard load, or even a light boolit load with a little extra speed.
If a 255gr at 1,000 fps shoots high, try a 200gr at 1200 fps. Although, with my Blackhawks, the 200's always shot too low, the 255 at 1,000 has always been the perfect load for me in any Blackhawk. This load usually matches POI with a 300-330 gr boolit at 1250-1300 fps in my guns, so I have a mild practice load, and a real thumper for a hunting load, if I want it.

cabezaverde
07-25-2009, 06:55 AM
Load is 255 SWC with 9 grains Unique.

oldhickory
07-25-2009, 09:01 AM
Load is 255 SWC with 9 grains Unique.

Lyman 454424? My Colt New Service .45 Colt shot the same way, (fixed sights, factory sighted for 50yds) I solved the problem with several loads, all consisting of 9.5gr of Unique.

9.5gr Unique with a 200gr Lyman 452460 swc.

9.5gr Unique with a 225gr Lyman 452474 rn.

9.5gr Unique with a 255gr Lyman 454424 swc.

The lighter boolits DO shoot lower, but 9.5gr of Unique will bring your 255gr boolit down to a managable point and it hits like a freight train...Groups are tight too.

McLintock
07-25-2009, 01:07 PM
Like as been said, pretty common problem with Ruger .45's, and coming up with the right load will often do the trick. Another way, and ends up with a more versitle gun, is to mill or file off the sight blade, mill a slot in the base and use Ruger replaceable blades that are pinned in. I way I fixed one, was to mill off the sight blade, mill a dovetail into the base and then install a blank I got from Brownell's that I could shape to the original shape, but higher; worked really well. Ruger also makes different height front sights for silver soldering on, but then you have to get into rebluing and finishing.
McLintock

44man
07-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Then some guys just love to let the gun roll in the hand. Nice way to get stringing and high shots. Grip the gun like you mean it. [smilie=1:[smilie=1:
Slow loads hit high, my .44 is sighted at 50 yards with hunting loads but light loads will not even hit the backstop, they go over the top. At 25 yards the light loads hit about 8" high.

targetshootr
07-26-2009, 05:52 PM
I think that's the only way Ruger makes SAs, they reach into a bin labeled "front sight, short" and put one on each gun.

bigboredad
08-06-2009, 07:45 PM
you could always just call ruger and have them send you a taller front sight they sent me one at no charge problem fixed

dubber123
08-06-2009, 07:57 PM
If you want a "cheap" fix, remove the rear sight, and file a notch on the bottom, (the "T" section that has the windage screw in it), wide enough to allow this bottom portion of the rear sight to lower OVER the top strap.

The tang of the sight can usually go lower, the bottom side of the "T" hits first. You can get a surprising amount of elevation adjustment this way. It got my brothers 5.5" .44 Ruger shooting POA with heavy 300 gr. loads. Virtually unnoticeable when done.

cabezaverde
08-06-2009, 09:54 PM
you could always just call ruger and have them send you a taller front sight they sent me one at no charge problem fixed

Blued gun, not an option.

cabezaverde
08-06-2009, 09:55 PM
If you want a "cheap" fix, remove the rear sight, and file a notch on the bottom, (the "T" section that has the windage screw in it), wide enough to allow this bottom portion of the rear sight to lower OVER the top strap.

The tang of the sight can usually go lower, the bottom side of the "T" hits first. You can get a surprising amount of elevation adjustment this way. It got my brothers 5.5" .44 Ruger shooting POA with heavy 300 gr. loads. Virtually unnoticeable when done.

Thanks dubber - not sure I am following you on this.

dubber123
08-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Thanks dubber - not sure I am following you on this.

I'll see if I can get a pic on, that should help. Basically front sight needs to go higher, or rear lower. Lowering the rear is a free option.

cabezaverde
08-07-2009, 05:58 PM
I'll see if I can get a pic on, that should help. Basically front sight needs to go higher, or rear lower. Lowering the rear is a free option.

That would be great - trying to understand where to file.

dubber123
08-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Lets see if this helps: http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh83/dubber123/IMG_0025.jpg And: http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh83/dubber123/IMG_0026.jpg Basically see where the sight hits on the bottom, file it out. This one is jacked up so you can see it. It gained ALOT of adjustment for FREE.

dubber123
08-16-2009, 06:34 PM
I know the pics suck, but basically the "sideways" part of the rear sight, (the one with the windage screw in it), hits the frame first when trying to lower it. Notching the bottom of the sight allows it to go AROUND the frame, (I.E. lower), and gains you a bunch of elevation adjustment.

9.3X62AL
08-16-2009, 06:57 PM
OK, Dubber.......this one drove me out to the garage and gun safe. Be right back.

ETA--Ah, all right.

cabezaverde
08-16-2009, 06:59 PM
So, if I am understanding you, you are not filing the bottom of the U blade, you are filing the bottom of the sight base?

dubber123
08-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Correct, it's the aluminum sight base you file, just clearance it so it will adjust lower. The blade remains stock. This sighted in HOT 300 gr. .44's in this gun. It might not be enough for you, but it's a FREE mod that will likely work. One of Rugers best traits, all the parts are so cheap, it's no biggie to fiddle with them.